Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NY teen killed over IPOD

A Brooklyn teen whose family had tried to shelter him from city violence was stabbed to death Saturday evening by two boys who were trying to steal his iPod portable music player.

The attack occurred Saturday at approximately 5:30 p.m. near the corner of East 40th Street and Avenue D in Flatbush. Police say 15-year-old Christopher Rose was walking with three friends on his way to the Port Authority Terminal when a group of young men tried to take his iPod.

When he resisted, Rose was stabbed twice in the chest.

Police have arrested 16-year-old Darran Samuel and 17-year-old Darryl Stephen, both of Brooklyn, on murder, robbery and weapons charges.

Christopher's father says he had moved Christopher to Pennsylvania during the school year to avoid this kind of violence. Christopher was on his way back to Pennsylvania to visit friends when he was killed.

"I called him and I said, 'Christopher, it's a holiday weekend, so when you go to the Port Authority, don't talk to strangers, anybody in uniform is the best person to talk to,' and he said, 'Yes dad,'" said Christopher's father Errol. "Five minutes later I called him back again and emphasized the same thing, and he said, 'Yes dad.' And as soon as left – within half an hour – they killed him."

Neighbors say the boy tried to run from his attackers.

"You heard him running and they were chasing him, and they were like, 'Get him, get him,'" one eyewitness said.

"He came down this block and the kid ran out of breath," said another. "He ran out of breath and the kids caught up with him."

"It's horrible," added a woman who lives in the area. "I have a 17-year-old that lives here – my daughter has an iPod – and I have to really be careful now about her going to school and coming home. It's a shame."

Earlier this year, New York City Police said that crime on the subways was up due in large part to the popularity of iPods and other electronic devices. From January through May, authorities say fifty iPods were reported stolen on the city's subway system.

Police sources told the New York Post that this is the first known murder in the city over the popular iPod player.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=51908