Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oppose John Roberts' Supreme Court Nomination

Orisha

Normally, I would not presume to impress my political ideals on anyone, however I feel this issue is worth passing on in hopes of stopping what looks to be another Bush blunder that will continue to affect our nation for years to come.

In the past weeks, Republicans and Democrats have called on President Bush to nominate a moderate for the Supreme Court –- someone who would honor the legacy of independent Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. But last night, President Bush nominated Judge John Roberts, a far-right lawyer and corporate lobbyist, to fill her post on the Supreme Court.

We’ve got to stop Roberts. He opposed clean air rules and worked to help coal companies strip-mine mountaintops. He worked with Ken Starr (yes, that Ken Starr), and tried to keep Congress from defending the Voting Rights Act. He wrote that Roe v. Wade should be “overruled,†and as a lawyer argued (and won) the case that stopped some doctors from even discussing abortion.

Join me in signing MoveOn’s petition to let our Senators know we expect them to oppose John Roberts right now at:

MOveOn.org

Please...pass it along :)

thanks

X'ina

you people are idiots I sweat do you even know what a moderate Judge is? What exactly is a moderate judge someone who's politically moderate? don't you know anything about history? don't you know that the supreme court was supposed to be the branch FREE of politics? I mean cmon do you even know what the job of a justice is? it's not supposed to matter if decisions are unpopular the SCT is supposed to make sure all laws are in accordance with the constitution. That means if it's not lawful it not lawful it maybe the most popular thing in the world it doesn't matter. and it's not supposed to matter. Roberts is a Textualist that's the way judges are supposed to be. if you don't like something you're not supposed go to the courts you're supposed to go to the legislature and the executive. God Read a friggin book.

On Roberts:

Women’s Rights

Immediately after President Bush announced his selection of Roberts, Operation Rescue, an organization founded to terrorize women, obstruct reproductive freedom, and shut down health clinics, issued a press release saying, “Operation Rescue supports this selection. Roberts has shown strong conservative credentials with indications that he will not uphold Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that decriminalized abortion.†He also weighed in on behalf of Operation Rescue, a violent anti-abortion group, in a federal case.

The anti-choice homophobe Gary Bauer promptly issued a statement hailing Roberts as "a refreshing nominee who possesses an outstanding record of judicial accomplishment as well as a commitment to judicial restraint long missing from so many activist courts."

Roberts’ record makes it clear why he has gathered such enthusiasm from far-right religious fundamentalists.

As Deputy Solicitor General, Roberts filed an amicus curiae brief in the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) case against Operation Rescue — in support of Operation Rescue, and in support of individuals who illegally blocked access to clinics.

As Deputy Solicitor General, Roberts argued in a brief before the Supreme Court that "we continue to believe that Roe was wrongly decided and should be overruled. The Court’s conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion...finds no support in the text, structure, or history of the Constitution."

As a Deputy Solicitor General, Roberts co-wrote a Supreme Court brief in Rust v. Sullivan, which argued that the government could prohibit doctors in federally funded family planning programs from discussing abortions with their patients.

Workers Rights

Roberts was lead counsel for Toyota in Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Ky, Inc. v. Williams. This case involved a woman who was fired after she asked Toyota for accommodations to do her job after being diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. The court ruled that while this condition impaired her ability to work, it did not impair her ability to perform major life activities.

The Geneva Conventions

Roberts was part of the three-judge panel that last week upheld President Bush's military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, supporting the Bush Administrations assertion that the Geneva Conventions and other international law did not apply to detainees held there. Neal K. Katyal, a lead lawyer for one of the plaintiffs in this case and a Georgetown University law professor, called the decision "contrary to 200 years of constitutional law."

Civil Rights

After a Supreme Court decision effectively nullified certain sections of the Voting Rights Act, Roberts was involved in the Reagan administration's effort to prevent Congress from overturning the Supreme Court's action.

Roberts also filed an amicus brief in Adarand v. Mineta in Oct. 2001, supporting a challenge to federal affirmative action programs.

The Environment

As a member of the Solicitor General's office, Mr. Roberts was the lead counsel for the United States in the Supreme Court case Lujan v. National Wildlife Federation, in which the government argued that private citizens could not sue the federal government for violations of environmental regulations.

In his private practice, Roberts has also represented numerous large corporate interests opposing environmental controls. He submitted an amicus brief on behalf of the National Mining Association in the recent case Bragg v. West Virginia Coal Association.

Church & State

While working with the Solicitor General's office, Roberts co-wrote an amicus brief on behalf of the Bush administration, in which he argued that public high schools can include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Roberts_Jr.

Roberts was also a member of the Federalist Society and is on the list of the 1997-98 leadership directory though he claims he has no memory of being a member which of course is a lie in his part. Now, he's busted.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8683445/

Do your research Siceone!

As Deputy Solicitor General, Roberts argued in a brief before the Supreme Court that "we continue to believe that Roe was wrongly decided and should be overruled. The Court’s conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion...finds no support in the text, structure, or history of the Constitution."

in an interview by the Senate's Judiciary Committee earlier in 2001 or so, Roberts admitted that he was not interested in overturning Roe vs Wade.

In his private practice, Roberts has also represented numerous large corporate interests opposing environmental controls. He submitted an amicus brief on behalf of the National Mining Association in the recent case Bragg v. West Virginia Coal Association.

Roberts was lead counsel for Toyota in Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Ky, Inc. v. Williams. This case involved a woman who was fired after she asked Toyota for accommodations to do her job after being diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. The court ruled that while this condition impaired her ability to work, it did not impair her ability to perform major life activities.

I dont see why he should be held in a negative light for the views and actions of his clients. :confused:

Roberts is not a Scalia or Thomas conservative, so I don't have too many issues with him being chosen. I hope the Dems do not fillibuster this guy.

Do you Freakin research you moron how does John Q noone saying that Roberts is a refreshing nominee means anything? you're a MORON A MORON All the rest of those examples you gave were positions that he had to take because HE WAS WORKING FOR SOMEONE. When you're an advocate you don't get to take a postion you are given one by your Client and you Flesh his point of veiw out according to the law. You are just a big freaking moron. I mean you're just so stupid it hurts... ME!!!

you're just a loony Zany ass liberal who knows nothing about the law and not uch of anything else to be honest and you just spout off what others tell you.

:lol3:

Fucking dumb anti-american maggot. Even Ann Coulter, your favorite right wing sex goddess cum dumpster who swings on Sean Hannitys dick hates Judge Roberts!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/foolmeeighttimesshameonme;_ylt=AvxqnkLanBiGgKsWsc4B9Jslr7sF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

My points proven. Thanks for your approval. :)

Moron. Take your anti-american reich wing vomit and bring it and yourself back to Italy where dumb anti american maggots like yourself belong.

Fucking pasta head.

you seriously live in a different dimension or something and manage to pop over to ours to spew your sophmoric bloviation. I read that article and no where does she say she hates John roberts. She plainly states that she's worried that robers is gonna be another Souter who had so called conservative Credentials but turned out to be an intentionalist judge rather than a textualist. And Im not Italian I was Born in the Bronx the son of immigrants from the west indies. Im a 3rd year law student and I have clerked for the Federal court and State Gov.

I know more than you. Period.

Now shut up feg.

:lol3:

Fucking dumb anti-american maggot. Even Ann Coulter, your favorite right wing sex goddess cum dumpster who swings on Sean Hannitys dick hates Judge Roberts!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/foolmeeighttimesshameonme;_ylt=AvxqnkLanBiGgKsWsc4B9Jslr7sF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

My points proven. Thanks for your approval. :)

Moron. Take your anti-american reich wing vomit and bring it and yourself back to Italy where dumb anti american maggots like yourself belong.

Fucking pasta head.

it's a shame people like you walk this earth

it's a shame people like you walk this earth

Are you Siceone's (and igloo's) pivot man (and cum dumpster) for the CP Republican circle jerk?

:clap2:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=manly_suicide

Save America. Do it.

you obviously dont realize that she hates him for the opposite reasons as you do :rolleyes:

Who cares? She's still a whore for the fourth reich.

Do you Freakin research you moron how does John Q noone saying that Roberts is a refreshing nominee means anything? you're a MORON A MORON All the rest of those examples you gave were positions that he had to take because HE WAS WORKING FOR SOMEONE. When you're an advocate you don't get to take a postion you are given one by your Client and you Flesh his point of veiw out according to the law. You are just a big freaking moron. I mean you're just so stupid it hurts... ME!!!

you're just a loony Zany ass liberal who knows nothing about the law and not uch of anything else to be honest and you just spout off what others tell you.

Siceone,

This jerkoff isn't worth your time. Just another blowhard. Good luck in law school.