Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 9/12/05

weyes

*mental note: dont wear white socks with flip flops to job interview*
:funny: you should wear socks, though. at interviews, men should wear shoes with socks, and women should wear hose or socks with their footwear. i didn't make those rules, but they are, unfortunately, what the business world requires of a person on an interview. once one is hired, one can find out what the dress code of the office is.

:funny: you should wear socks, though. at interviews, men should wear shoes with socks, and women should wear hose or socks with their footwear. i didn't make those rules, but they are, unfortunately, what the business world requires of a person on an interview. once one is hired, one can find out what the dress code of the office is.

the weird thing is when guys use WHITE ATHLETIC type socks with dress shoes - that is so fratboy! seriously if i nterviewed someone and he was wearing white socks with dress shoes (unless he's a computer geek) i ain't recommending him for hire. :eek:

the weird thing is when guys use WHITE ATHLETIC type socks with dress shoes - that is so fratboy! seriously if i nterviewed someone and he was wearing white socks with dress shoes (unless he's a computer geek) i ain't recommending him for hire. :eek:
really? my roommate doesn't own much dressy clothing in general, but he only owns athletic socks. he has some black athletic socks, but no thin, dressy ones. would you not recommend someone with black athletic socks?

i'm not a big fan of the school of thought of hiring/not hiring people based on what they wear to the interview. i think the interviewer should be focusing on the person, for the most part. as i said above, the dress code of the office can be discussed at the interview or when the person gets the job.

really? my roommate doesn't own much dressy clothing in general, but he only owns athletic socks. he has some black athletic socks, but no thin, dressy ones. would you not recommend someone with black athletic socks?

i'm not a big fan of the school of thought of hiring/not hiring people based on what they wear to the interview. i think the interviewer should be focusing on the person, for the most part. as i said above, the dress code of the office can be discussed at the interview or when the person gets the job.

the problem with athletic socks is that they are thicker than the dressy socks, so you would have to buy bigger shoes in order to compensate for the thicker socks. i've bought dress socks at target 2 pairs for 5 bucks - so they dont need to be expensive at all.

as for the interviewing process, it basically depends on the position. in some appearance is as essential as a candidates knowledge on the matter. i would not want someone from my company representing us showing up with our clients looking like he just rolled out of bed in the morning. in other positions, how you dress is less important, but I tend to think that when you are reprsesnting your company you should look as sharp as you can, ones appearance can make a powerfull first impression on a prospective client.

the problem with athletic socks is that they are thicker than the dressy socks, so you would have to buy bigger shoes in order to compensate for the thicker socks. i've bought dress socks at target 2 pairs for 5 bucks - so they dont need to be expensive at all...
to tell you the whole truth, he doesn't even own one pair of dressy shoes. he's been interviewing to move up in his company recently and he thinks it's ok to wear black sneakers, because "when the sneakers are black, the interviewers don't even notice." :shaky: i don't support him on this one.