Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To All DJs......CDs, Vinyl or Other????

lexxxi

Since everyone seemed interested in my last thread regarding DJ Apotheosis, I thought I would start a thread for all of us to learn on regarding the stylings of The DJ. For the DJs out there that don't mind sharing (you don't have to if you don't want to)...what are your preferences??? Please teach our hungry minds!!!

cwm11.gifcwm11.gifcwm11.gif

If I may add something to your idea:

an analegy: (sp?)

most Dj's use 1200's (cost about $500 each)

they would never use cheap consumer turntables that lets say come with your home stereo. They just dont do the job right.

Using CD's got a bad rep because most were played off cheap consumer CD units ($100).

They are just NOT the right tools for the job. I personally use the 2 best out there (Pioneer 700s -$700 each, and Denon 2600f $1200).

As you can see there is a big difference in price. and performance.

------------------

Use email DJmikeDR@aol.com

PM way too slow!

[This message has been edited by apotheosis (edited 12-12-2000).]

Originally posted by apotheosis:

they would never use cheap consumer turntables that lets say come with your home stereo. They just dont do the job right.

Using CD's got a bad rep because most were played off cheap consumer CD units ($100).

They are just NOT the right tools for the job. I personally use the 2 best out there (Pioneer 700s -$700 each, and Denon 2600f $1200).

What are you talking about? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the price of the equipment that you are using!

A good DJ should be able to mix on a pair of Gemini PT-1000's as well as the Vestex, as well as 1200's....That goes for CD players as well. Gemini, Denon, or Pioneer.

There are certain features that you can or can not do with lower priced equipment, but CD's did not get a bad rap due to the price of a piece of equipment.

It is more of asthetic thing when it came to spinning Vinyl and a quality thing. Vinyl still has a better sound quality and fuller frequency range than CD's.

I don't want to go on for hours about the differences, ie..Vinyl can cue faster, you can rock and push and pull it....CD's have looping capabilities and programming abilities for cueing, etc....

CD's are becoming accepted, but a TRUE DJ should know how to utilize BOTH MEDIUMS if they want to make it spinning big room clubs. Cause not all clubs large and small have CD players.

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming Shows: Liquids Thurs, Dec 7th 10pm - 1am with DJ Divine

*NEW* Fri. Dec 8th @ Cream 10-12:30 opening up for Justin Time and Russ Reign

http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

My new web site...Version 1

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com

I will agree with Peete on this one, a good DJ is one who knows how to utilize cd's with vinyl, not let cd's take over...thats something danny tenaglia mentioned in an interview also. Number 2, price of equipment has nothing to do with what you as DJ can do with it...if you are a skilled DJ like peete mentioned you can mix of belt driven numark turntables...i have the denon 2600f at home, and i have mixed on the 2200 and the 2500, it's the same thing, the 2600f has some nice features which i rarely use except for the looping...

but like you said a "TRUE" DJ can work it with whatever equipment is put in front of him...by the way apotheosis i failed to see how there you showed the big difference in performance, and you only gave the price of 2 of the highest systems, the pioneer cd unit is around $1600.

------------------

Gigs : Sound Factory, Saturday 11/25...12-4

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

tit.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

I don't wanna get way to into this cause it could go on forever but I'm all about vinyls......better sound and I am much more comfortable with them as that is what I learned to DJ on.......in fact, I still haven't been able to figure out how to use those CD players effectively.......I'm not worried at this point......both have their ups and downs though........personal preference.

Mikey

------------------

"If there are two of us, I will gladly bite it in half....."

what's your damage? that's exactly what I learned to dj on - $30 worth of cheap consumer turntables. It's the dj that gets the job done right, not the equipment.

I've been reading and looking into buy turntable/decks (is that the right word for DJ CD Players?) for about 6 mo. And I've talked to a shit load of DJs local and not. Most DJs are using cds now because the ability to create samples on CD-r (a some units are pretty dam small). Vinyl would be very costly to make a small run of records. But I've noticed that some (a few) use Mini Disks as well for sampling and recording live performances. (you could run this into any mixer with an extra AUX, so DJs with turntables can sample) I personal want to learn turntables first, because I have a fast and heavy hand that I think would be suited for the medium.

Alot of newer DJs are also pulled into using decks rather then Vinyl because they already own Cds. The down side to this is that not all good vinyl comes out on CD, a good amount of the UK/Euro underground stuff comes out on Vinyl only (why is that?) But if you want to be spinning Britty Spears newest song you'll beadle to pick it up on CD first... this all depends also on what kinda DJ you want to be. Radio, Party, Mixing, Band, Rave, Remix, Club. Each different type of DJ must look at the whole picture. I want to be a mixing DJ, which in my mind means mixing some of my stuff on a computer and some of it live. I'd have a set of tables (unsure of what to buy for starting out?) and either get a Minidisk player or sampler.

Arg... did I run on to long?

------------------

"You all laugh at me becasue I'm differant, I laugh at you because your all the same."

OMG!!! OMG!!! It's him!! It's him!!! I love you!!! I love your cd!!! You're the bes... *faint*

------------------

Twilo?

SF?

Exit?

Breffni!!!

no offense intended but... "apotheosisfan" these posts get more and more stupid...not even worth reading the board anymore with all this nonsense...

------------------

tit.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

Originally posted by ILL HOUSE YOU:

no offense intended but... "apotheosisfan" these posts get more and more stupid...not even worth reading the board anymore with all this nonsense...

If you ask me, this is mocking the things that really make this board not worth reading.

------------------

Twilo?

SF?

Exit?

Breffni!!!

I think vinyl is better and more comfortable than cd's, but i gs that depends on what you started wit'. Most famous dj's, if not all famous dj's, use vinyl as their main medium, but maybe thats cus cd mixing is newer, and cd djs havent gotten the recognition they deserve yet...

------------------

Z: 149,4 X: 295,3 Y: 88,2

www.mp3.com/main

I will agree with Peete on this one, a good DJ is one who knows how to utilize cd's with vinyl, not let cd's take over...

***I dont think my post led to that, if it did, thats not what I intended.

apotheosis i failed to see how there you showed the big difference in performance, and you only gave the price of 2 of the highest systems, the pioneer cd unit is around $1600.

*** you are reffering to the stealth dual cd?

What I was saying is you GET what you PAY for. Not that you cant do a good job on lower end decks.

Turntables are pretty much standard with their features nowadays, but when it comes to CD's WHOA... big differences.

Let me explain, I have been working closely with the head techs at Denon and Pioneer for about 6 years now, there are so many things that go on with DJ CD players that it boggles the mind, all the way down to how each unit reads track 1: sector zero.

It's amazing how many things go wrong with these things (when concerning CDR's).

(my biggest problem)

The more expensive units have a lot more "under the hood". I didnt really intend this to be a debate, but if anyone would like, I can inform...

Let me just say if (and god hearing me on this one) *IF* I could just burn my own vinyl... life would be so much easier (and yeah, probably alot less discussion on this board)

------------------

PM way too slow!

Originally posted by spoonyd:

what's your damage? that's exactly what I learned to dj on - $30 worth of cheap consumer turntables. It's the dj that gets the job done right, not the equipment.

Yes but I'm sure your a lot better now, then when using the "cheaper" units to learn on, no?

------------------

PM way too slow!

youve been working with them closely have you? do you want me to smack the spit out of your mouth now or later? do you realise how idiotic you sound...

one comment...

"you wack ass motha fucka"

------------------

tit.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

i was going to write and say sorry if i offended you with that last post even withdraw it, then i realised id be doing the board an injustice...

------------------

tit.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

youve been working with them closely have you? do you want me to smack the spit out of your mouth now or later? do you realise how idiotic you sound...

one comment...

"you wack ass motha fucka"

Wow cutting directly to the point.

I dont know, anyway said this before i wouldn't try to learn on anything other than 1200's. Partly because you will get rid of 1200's no problem, lot's of people buy decks then find out it's not for them. You may get stuck with the Gemini's.

Yes but I'm sure your a lot better now, then when using the "cheaper" units to learn on, no?

Actually I learned on a really old 1200 and a new 1210, the 1200 waved like an ocean. But learned...Now I have matching 1210's and use those...but guess what....I just went a bought a pair of used emini PT-1000's!!!!

How's that for cheaper equipment, I practice on them at home, it kinda gives me that feeling of using really beaten up 1200's at clubs that don't always perform correctly.

I don't know what this means, but I learned on older stuff and still user less expensive equipment to practice.

- Pete

cool.gif

------------------

------------------------

flash.gif

Upcoming Shows: Liquids Thurs, Dec 7th 10pm - 1am with DJ Divine

*NEW* Fri. Dec 8th @ Cream 10-12:30 opening up for Justin Time and Russ Reign

http://www.naked-edge.com/schwinge.html

My new web site...Version 1

DJSchwinge@naked-edge.com

Use whatever medium you feel most comfortable with, and in the best case, use both CDs and Vinyl……but don’t knock people who use the other.

There is nothing worse than someone who jumps to conclusions about a DJ, because they see him using CDs……….then, a week later, they are raving about Paul Oakenfold or Danny Tenaglia, and half of their set is off of CD as well.

The DJs goal is to rock the crowd……whether he is using vinyl, CD, Mini Disc or TWO TIN CANS, it makes no difference, if he can entertain his crowd and keep the energy up and the people happy….then he gets my respect.

30-50 bucks to get a dub plate cut + the hassle of sending out the master and getting the cutting back?

or

Taking a few minutes to burn a cd with the freshest expressions from my soul?

I'd still rather have it pressed on vinyl, but I'd settle until te song gets signed.

If you have the mostistdopist track in the world, does it matter what it's pressed on?.

re: cheap decks- Most of them break in addition to not performing well. Plastic chassis? NO thanks!

Playing cd's as well as vinyl is just so much more productive than choosing one over another. You instantly double you music selection once you learn to do both. Refusing to learn how to mix cd's because you feel you like you would be "selling out" is ignorant. (and vice versa)

oh yeah, the difference between cd players is A LOT less drastic than the difference between turntables.

------------------

DON'T KNOCK IT

````````TILL U ROCK IT

[This message has been edited by sf97 (edited 12-12-2000).]

both mediums have their advantages...

If I could I'd play all vinyl because of the "hands on aspect" and it's a fact that vinyl sounds "warmer."

Unfortunately some tracks, especially those that are unreleased, aren't available on wax...

Truth is, you can't judge a DJ's skill by what percentage of CD/Vinyl he uses...

Now if a dj is using casette tapes or even worse MP3's, then he has a problem LOL

check out this article I wrote on Vinyl vs. CDs... comments would be appreciated... http://musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2000,Features-DJ-5100715,00.html

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

Fridays - Cream, NYC

Sats:

12/16 - Arena, Albany NY

12/23 - Arena, Albany NY

12/30 - Webster Hall

1/13 - Slopes, Hunter Mountain

1/14 - Phillidelphia (Location TBA)

Sat Dec. 23rd - 92.7 & 98.5 FM 3-5am www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

[This message has been edited by russ reign (edited 12-12-2000).]