Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Ask the Dj" Article: Feat "Murk" - Ralph Falcon

biznation00

Miami Herald Article by Mike Hammersly. Click link below to view:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/nightlife/13299267.htm

Oscar G and Ralph Falcon are well known on their own, with residencies at Space and crobar, respectively. But together the dynamic duo have flourished under the partnerships Murk and Funky Green Dogs (remember Dark Beat a couple years ago?). Sunday night at Mansion, the pair start their first residency together as Murk. Falcon takes time to talk about the new gig; 305-532-1525.

Q: What can we expect from you and Oscar at Mansion?

Expect us to go all-out on this one. This will be a special night for us, something we could call our own. We love our hometown, and those who have supported us over the years. It's time to pay them back.

Q: How did you two meet, and what made you decide to partner up?

Oscar and I met up way back in the third grade at a little old school called Coral Way Elementary on Southwest 13th Avenue (Ms. Thomas' homeroom class -- ha, ha). We've been close ever since then and both have had a unique appreciation for music since back in the day.

Q: Who has had the most influence on developing your sound?

People like Danny Tenaglia, Junior Vasquez, Tony Humphries, David Morales and Frankie Knuckles. I remember listening to Danny T at Cheers and thinking, ``This is it -- this is where we have to be musically.''

Q: How old were you when you knew you'd be a DJ, and what were the circumstances?

For me, it was 16. Back then there were so many DJs in Miami. It was a fun way for young kids to have a good time and make some money. One of my friends was a DJ with a garage full of equipment, so I started playing around to the point where his mom would have to kick me out of the house. As far as Oscar, I remember him spinning his own 12th birthday party with mismatched speakers on either side of his makeshift turntable. Wish I'd had a camera.

Q: Miami's nightclub scene has its peaks and valleys. How healthy is it now?

Basically, I think we're spoiled. I remember around the time Oscar and I started working together there were about three decent clubs in town and maybe one of those clubs was DJ-driven. Now we have dozens of places with talent brought in from all corners of the Earth on a weekly basis. Also, [Winter Music] Conference week has risen to an unbelievable level. Nowhere else do you get the amount of talent in a week's time like we do here. If you ask me, the scene is healthier than ever.

Q: Do you think technological advances have diminished the quality of today's new DJs?

I used to think all the new breakthroughs in technology were a great thing. Now I think it's more of a double-edged sword. While the advances have allowed more and more talented DJs and producers to zoom to the top quickly, it has also enabled a bunch of wannabes to crash the party.

Q: What would you do if you had to change careers?

OK, that's a tough one. Never really done anything else, but if I had to pick, it would probably be something like filmmaking.

Q: What do you love to do in your free time?

One thing I love to do is go fishing. Whenever I have a few days off, I'll head down to the Keys with a bunch of my friends and hit the water.

Q: What about you would surprise people?

I think a lot of people figure DJs to be these nonstop party persons, which I'm not. I like to hang at home with my girl and my son and do normal boring stuff.

www.murkmadeinmiami.com

Congratulations on the first night boys. I heard very good things about it and I will definately be there this Sunday and many more to come. Not too shabby on the artist influences in the interview- all are legendary real deejays Ralph mentioned.

ps. and I agree with you on the newjacks crashing the party. You guys are true and proven and these young cats need to pay their dues and more to get to your level.