Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Computer Certs: mcs(a)(e) ccn(a)(e) etc etc

I've been working in the computer field for about 8 or 9 years and Ive been doing so without any official certifications and im not making anywhere near enough money to live a comfortable life (in NYC anyway) considering monthly rent and insurance costs, and moving is NOT an option... So I need more money.

I called a training center called "New Horizons" from what I understand they are one of the best in the area, but for the following classes including books and test fees the price is $15,100

A+

A+ 2

Netowrk +

Security +

Then after those 4 classes (16 weeks) they have a job fair kinda deal and the say the average salary offered at that point is in the 40k range. Then we have 1 year to complete the rest of the training package which includes:

mcsa, msce, ccna, and ccne.

So my questions are...

1. Is that way over priced considering it includes training an books, etc ? (I can get a student loan since its a state accredited school).

2. Should I drop the whole school thing, and just buy books and thake the tests ? (if I so Im going to need help finding more details on the process involved since I tried looking into it and got majorly confused)

3. Do you thing I will be able to easily obtain a job with those cets WITHOUT the schools Job placement/job fair thing ?

4. Anyone have any comments or helpful suggestions? Anyone willing to talk with me on TS about this in further detail ?

That is way way too much $$$

You can easily teach yourself the A+ parts, the rest i personally never wanted to go further into it... pick up a viallage voice, and look at the courses offered. and just take the ones you can't teach yourself. any of the programs i wanted a cert. in, i just taught myself and took the test on my own...when it comes to a cert, you really don't need to worry about what school you went to. your just looking for the paper and knowlege...

my opinion is not to buy into that job placement crap, it never seems to work... for the majority... you have so much experience, why not go into a bigger company?

you do IT work now?

have you graduate from a regular 4 year college and obtained any degrees? i may not be the best one to answer since i do not hold any certifications...but the tests seem easy enough to pass by just reading and studying..

also A+ does not really hold much weight and wont get you a lot of money..also its an easy cert to have

A+ is pretty much worthless now-a-days, its kinda like a merit badge.

MCS(E/A) is all microsoftw server administration, which is a pretty saturated market to be honest. CCN(A\E) ... now that is a good cert to have, somewhat in demand here and there. In combination they are good together and make you a valuable assest.

Now for paying 15k ... hell fucking no ... i paid 15k for 1 year at Columbia University for courses ... fuck new horizons. not really a real school that is taken seriously ...

With 15k you can buy your own Cisco 2600, a few servers, and instruction books and setcha self up. Seriously just paying for mock tests are good too and give you insight on what to expect.

good luck

Thanks for the comments and suggestions all.

I'm thinking I'm just going to buy the books and study on my own, but the tests and things for the certs on MS' website aren't very self explanatory.

Is there a site that plainly lays out what tests you need for a specific certification?

I called a training center called "New Horizons" from what I understand they are one of the best in the area, but for the following classes including books and test fees the price is $15,100

i payed same amount CASH... didnt do shit for me... (basically bought thousands of dollars worth of framed paper theyre not even hanging on my wall sitting ontop my bookshelf collecting dust in frames) dont bother with NH... (they are good, but theyll take anyone... youll be sitting there with old ass fuckers, and retards who will slow the class down to a snails pace...)