Clubplanet Nightlife Community

R.I.P. Jay Dee (ATCQ / Pharcyde / Slum Vil.)

b-side

E-mail from URB Magazine

We at URB are collectively saddened by the loss of suddenly loss J Dilla, aka Jay Dee, aka James Yancey who died 10 February in his sleep from liver complications at the age of 32. Yanceys influenced in the hip-hop and r&b scene will go down in history; his delicate and soulful skills having blessed the likes of Commons The Light, cuts on DAngelos classic album Voodoo and songs for the Pharcyde and A Tribe Called Quest.

The Detroit producer, and one-third of rap outfit Slum Village (whose Fantastic, Vol.1 & Vol.2 was the one-two punch that got hip-hop heads nodding back in the late 90s) along with T-3 and Baatin, told URB back in 2004 that his 110% commitment to his music and extreme work ethic was costing him his health. At one point, he was performing live from a wheel chair.

What happened was that the doctor told me that Id ruptured my kidney from being too busy and being stressed out and not eating right. He told me that if Id waited another day, I might not have made it.

About his grueling grind to stay in the shady hip-hop game, creating music, the Detroiter explained: Sometimes the fixation can be a good thing, sometimes it can be bad. Thered be days when I wouldnt eat at all because Id be in the basement, working all dayI still love music, but I wouldnt put it first in my life. Its family first and then everything else.

J Dillas latest album, Donuts, was just released this past Tuesday.

URB wants to extend our sincere condolences to his friends and family. We know the music his left behind and lives he has touched will live on as his legacy, though his presence will be missed.

urb-0304-jaylib.jpg

Jay-Dee (above standing up)