Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Outofthebox Hip Hop Lesson 101

detn8or

I have nothing but ultimate respect for Freeze, both for or his unquestionable role in hip-hop history and for what he's promoting at Tabu. Despite the extremely large number of well-financed clubs on the Strip, Slide Sundays remains only single night that really attempts to embrace the original vibe that made hip-hop explode onto the scene.

His passion for the true culture and meaning hip-hop is extremely admirable, however his insulting and often exclusionary approach on this board is off-putting, to say the least.

I don't know what goes on in the business of Vegas clubs. I don't know if or how often Freeze has tried to work with other clubs to create other hip-hop nights like Slide Sundays.

All I know about Freeze and his pursuit of "trying to teach people the true meaning of hip-hop" is what I see here, and that is Freeze relentlessly going after someone like DJ MasterWeb. At the same time that he blasts OPM for its hip-hop ignorance, he repeatedly refers to his being honored by VH1. He can't stand the mainstream for its bastardization and misuse of the term "hip-hop," yet doesn't hesitate to take part in a crappy MTV reality show.

OPM may not be ideal for Freeze's tastes, but there's a reason for it's massive popularity, especially its massive growth in the past few months: OPM offers what no other club on the strip does. They promote themselves as a hip-hop club because they provide what the public considers to be hip-hop. They advertise on a radio station that refers to itself as hip-hop because its listeners will refer their music selection as hip-hop.

Whether right or wrong, this is what hip-hop has become in the 21st century. This is the evolutionary path that it's followed.

DJ MasterWeb is a businessman who caters the public's idea of hip-hop music. He and his crew at OPM promote their events without resorting to slander. They've identified a need among Vegas clubgoers and have nailed it on the head. It's no coincidence that the club has become so popular that their guestlist no longer offers free entry before 11pm, no coincidence that Sunday Night Hype has exploded.

If Freeze really believes that "It is not about me being better than you or you being better than me" then he'd stop the personal attacks and just be proud of what he's done in his life and what he's got at Tabu with Slide Sundays. As a member of Rock Steady Crew, he of all people should know that when you're the best, you simply maintain and progress on your own -- until someone attacks you.

Battling happened when an MC or a crew needed to prove that they were better than the top dogs -- at least, those who were top in the public eye. Put on a better show than the next guy and gain your respect. Simple as that. Freeze won't prove anything by talking, he's got to prove it by building his own following.

Otherwise he's no better than the wannabe MCs round the way who would always claim to be the best without proving it, offering to take on any challenger... provided they came to them.

Who knows. Perhaps Freeze will someday realize that OPM just might represent the best opportunity to educate people about the "true" hip-hop, to reach out to the same crowd that grew up with it.

Or maybe he'll find a way to get a second weekly event going. There's still tons of room on the club schedule, and with new spots opening left and right there's potential like never before.

I respect every thing you have said.

But hip hop hasn't changed its still raw and real, CD webmaster is an employee that bullshitter his way into that fake wannabe hip hop club.

A rap song being played in a club does not make it a hip hop club..…

IM sorry but that's just nuts,OPM is well placed club in a great mall, id go as far as to say one of the nicest malls in the world, that will bring thousands of people every day of the year, even if you play country music in there it will get packed...they spend 100 "s of thousands on advertizment,Slise is packed every sunday,ya its small but i really like that place witch is why i do my nights there.

Iv been approached by three on the main spots in Vegas including Pure, and IM just not interested ... when you advertise on the radio to me its dangerous,theres a certain crowd I just don't want.

The crowd CD webmaster has and the crowd I want are two different worlds...

The millions of people that want to see or hear lil john or the ying yang idiots Please stay there ... hang out with CD man ... the pure will come to me, when people leave slide they have left with a cultural experaince,with his spot all they care about is sailing bottles of poison for $500 per bottle.…

That's great, but the facts remain that is not a hip hop club ... it is simply a rap playing music spot.

Hip Hop has not changed, its still the same it all depends on what place you go to.

Last night (grand master flash) (mellei me) (grand master caz)(kool moe)(Buzy Bee) and Africa bambatta came in off the plane and surprised me and came into slide.

Maybe nobody cares,but the people that come to slide do.

Take care of your self.…

Much respect to you and yours.

Mr. freeze

Rock steady crew

You know what? I can live with that. There are a few FACTS wrong but the past two posts sum up the positions pretty nicely.

Thanks to Greenie for saying it like it is with good words.

Just to clarify a few facts. OPM was dead the first year it was open, because it didn't home in on the "hip-hop" niche until it's second year. It's location in the closed forum shops didn't bring anyone until the word got out on the direction the club went.

The crowd OPM brings is very diverse, but the primary pull is a black crowd, and despite the comments made here by some, the crowd is peaceful and very well dressed. The dress code is more strict at OPM than any other club in town as far as I know. You won't see almost any guys in t-shirts or tennis shoes.

Slide obviously has its own niche which is completely different than OPM. It's all good. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about here. I hope Slide does its damn thing and everyone lives happily ever after.

I spin cds and Serato now too. I'm not upset about that. Sorry if that upsets anyone else. I love music like many others here. I also love to make a living. Not sure how following financial opportunity somehow diminishes anything we do.

Well that's about it for now. Maybe we can stop fighting now because I don't even know what we're fighting about anymore :)

Last night (grand master flash) (mellei me) (grand master caz)(kool moe)(Buzy Bee) and Africa bambatta came in off the plane and surprised me and came into slide.

wow!!! I was on my way out the door to check out slide last night and got some work dropped on me at like 1130pm.... sooooo pissed.

Sorry my bad..... stuckinabox.... here are more hip hop forefathers, had to take advantage of more hip hop lessons for you, and stick to the topic.

You know what? I can live with that. There are a few FACTS wrong but the past two posts sum up the positions pretty nicely.

Thanks to Greenie for saying it like it is with good words.

Just to clarify a few facts. OPM was dead the first year it was open, because it didn't home in on the "hip-hop" niche until it's second year. It's location in the closed forum shops didn't bring anyone until the word got out on the direction the club went.

The crowd OPM brings is very diverse, but the primary pull is a black crowd, and despite the comments made here by some, the crowd is peaceful and very well dressed. The dress code is more strict at OPM than any other club in town as far as I know. You won't see almost any guys in t-shirts or tennis shoes.

Slide obviously has its own niche which is completely different than OPM. It's all good. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about here. I hope Slide does its damn thing and everyone lives happily ever after.

I spin cds and Serato now too. I'm not upset about that. Sorry if that upsets anyone else. I love music like many others here. I also love to make a living. Not sure how following financial opportunity somehow diminishes anything we do.

Well that's about it for now. Maybe we can stop fighting now because I don't even know what we're fighting about anymore :)

If its peace full crowd then why the need for metro police,mall security and metal detecters?

Please dont tell me its for safety?

Im just asking?

Mr freeze

Rock steady crew

If its peace full crowd then why the need for metro police,mall security and metal detecters?

Please dont tell me its for safety?

Im just asking?

Mr freeze

Rock steady crew

Safety, politics, crowd control, and to keep the knuckleheads out. Not only do we implement the measures you mentioned, but we also employ 20 to 40 in house security guards every night, most of whom are certified, we also hire undercover security and keep cameras on every inch of the club. We are very serious about providing a friendly and safe environment for all. This is why we still exist despite the stigmas associated with clubs that attract black customers. We bring thousands of customers, and when you mix that volume of a crowd with alcohol and loud music, no matter what style of music, it's very important to stay in control of your venue.

Safety, politics, crowd control, and to keep the knuckleheads out. Not only do we implement the measures you mentioned, but we also employ 20 to 40 in house security guards every night, most of whom are certified, we also hire undercover security and keep cameras on every inch of the club. We are very serious about providing a friendly and safe environment for all.This is why we still exist despite the stigmas associated with clubs that attract black customers. We bring thousands of customers, and when you mix that volume of a crowd with alcohol and loud music, no matter what style of music, it's very important to stay in control of your venue.

Makes sense can't argue a fact.

You and I have a beef, and that was some time ago...

It was over a post i put about DJ am ...

my reason i got bent out of shape, you pretty much said that i didn't hear what i head & that you were able to prove to me that i didn't hear it.

when i walked into these clubs in NY and la, i thought my boys DJ z-trip & DJ p were playing, & to my surprise it was am doing the uneasy listening mixes...

So with that said that really battered me.

You in your own words said that I didn't hear what I heard,thats how this hole thing got stupid.

I simply wanted people to know the truth.

DJ's that play CD's...

I know that its just about progress & that's great but when people mix the word hip hop with it, it just doesn't sit write with me.

Scratching from a CD that doesn't jump, who cant do that?

That's cool but Hip Hop is all about showing off who can out do who, even in a club. Its the nature of this culture..…

This is not my opinion but a fact, if you guys would do some things like that have some b, boys have kid Capri out front were your guest who'd be able to see him mixing it would just bring a greater element to OPM...

Your going to do what ever it is you do, but if your going to call it hip hop you should try to incorporate the elements as best as you can...

Shit I would even give you phone # to any B, Boy or old school DJ or MC's so that you Guy's can book them.

Any way, I said what I had to say, and I will no longer say anything against you or your spot ever again.

You have my word on it.

Good luck &

Thank you.

Mr freeze

Rock steady crew

Well in addition to your accomplishments, your last post just earned my personal respect. I consider the beef squashed and maybe your input here can help all of us improve the scene in Vegas across the board. -DJMW

Most of the creators are out here,for the magic convention...

(grand master caz) (coolk hurk)(busy Bee)

(Mellei Mel)(sha rock from the funky four+1)

I know that cool hurk is looking to move out here,maybe you and him can talk buisness...Who nose...

If you need any of there phone # let me know and ill send them to you via private message.

I think you reaching out and trying to do some thing with them would be great,for OPM...

Anyway take care.

If you need the # let me know.

Mr freeze

Rock steady crew