Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Isaac Hayes, Scientologist, Quits South Park

HAZE

Isaac Hayes, you are a BITCH.

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 34 minutes ago

NEW YORK -

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors

Tom Cruise and

John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin.

...disco...

i always respected South Park for usually having a REAL moral to the story .. family just is outlandish and fucking hilarious ..

oh and piss on issac hayes for believing in aliens .... what a dick! You would think after all these years of being on the show and seeing what these guys have done ... and to back out now .. makes him a MAJOR DICK!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch tonight's episode? Freakin' hilarious.

I love how Chef got killed.

At the end he came back like Darth Vader. I wonder how long that's going to last. I'm guessing he will be a character until they get bored with him.

Did anyone catch tonight's episode? Freakin' hilarious.

I love how Chef got killed.

At the end he came back like Darth Vader. I wonder how long that's going to last. I'm guessing he will be a character until they get bored with him.

I thought it was just alright. I did like the way that they killed him though.

The 9:30 episode was funny as hell... where Cartman buys the theme park.

I thought it was just alright. I did like the way that they killed him though.

The 9:30 episode was funny as hell... where Cartman buys the theme park.

Come on man, these guys are geniuses. They totally ripped Scientology again.

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef, we should be mad at the silly group that scrambled his brain."

And the part with the doll had me cracking up.

"Did Chef ever do this?"

:funny:

It's going to be on again tonight at 10:00

March 23, 2006 -- ISAAC Hayes may not have quit "South Park" at all - or at least not willingly. Turns out Hayes has been away from Comedy Central's hit show for the past three months because he had a stroke. According to foxnews.com, he's at home recuperating and did not issue the press release which said he was quitting because the show made fun of his faith. That release was put out by fellow Scientologist Christina "Kumi" Kimball, a fashion executive for designer Craig Taylor. According to foxnews.com, "Hayes loves 'South Park' and needs it for income. He has a new wife and a baby on the way."

Come on man, these guys are geniuses. They totally ripped Scientology again.

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef, we should be mad at the silly group that scrambled his brain."

And the part with the doll had me cracking up.

"Did Chef ever do this?"

:funny:

It's going to be on again tonight at 10:00

That part with the doll was fucking funny!! I forgot about that... :rofl:

Dead Chef "Doing Really Well" By Joal Ryan

Fri Mar 24, 7:24 PM ET

Isaac Hayes is in better shape than Chef.

This, according to Hayes' production company, which denied a report that suggested the "Shaft" soul great had been incapacitated by a stroke and that a mystery person had issued a headline-making denunciation of South Park in his name.

"That's a false report," Amy Harnell of Isaac Hayes Entertainment said Friday.

Specifically, Harnell denied Hayes, 63, suffered a stroke in January. She maintained that, as previously reported, the music legend checked into a hospital in his native Tennessee that month for treatment of high blood pressure and exhaustion.

"He wasn't in the hospital for very long," Harnell said. "He's back on his feet, and doing really well."

Harnell further denied someone other than Hayes was behind a Mar. 13 statement in which the entertainer declared he was leaving South Park, where he'd been the longtime voice of Chef, because of the animated series' "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities." While the statement didn't reference Scientology, it was believed that Hayes, a Scientologist, was taking a stance against a South Park episode that riffed on the religion.

"The press release did come from him," Harnell said. "He is the one who decided to leave South Park."

The stroke and collusion theory was reported Monday by FoxNews.com's Roger Friedman. Friedman wrote that Hayes' friends were "mystified" by the singer's abrupt departure apparently over an episode that first aired four months ago.

Certainly in interviews just prior to his hospitalization, Hayes expressed admiration for South Park's style. "Nobody is exempt from their humor," he said in the New York Daily News on Jan. 12. "Don't be offended by it. If you take it too seriously, you have problems."

It was not known if Hayes took seriously what happened to Chef on Wednesday's South Park season premiere.

In the episode, written by series creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone in the wake of Hayes' resignation, Chef was brainwashed by a group of globe-trotting child molesters--the mere warm-up for the big finish in which the character was struck by lightning, impaled, mauled, shot and finally turned into a Darth Vader-like monster.

Harnell said she didn't know if Hayes tuned in. (About 3.5 million others did.) Generally speaking, Harnell said, Hayes "doesn't have any comment from that episode. Basically, he decided to leave...it behind him."

Currently, Harnell said, Hayes is "totally wrapped up in his baby"--a child "due any minute" with his fourth wife, Adjowa.