Clubplanet Nightlife Community

STEVE LAWLER INTERVIEW

Lawler is set to play January 5th 2001. Mark it on your calendar.

c/o Radio 1, UK

Steve Lawler Interview

Updated 14 Dec 2000

The third in our Heroes Of 2000 series, Steve Lawler is considered by many to be the UK's answer to Danny Tenaglia. Steve was the star of Space in Ibiza this summer and he'll be continuing his domination in 2001 with a series of high profile residencies at Home in London & Ibiza as well as a new night at Code in Birmingham.

Watch the video for 'Rise In' by Steve Lawler

It's been a big year for you. What has been the major factor in making this year so big for you?

I think it's been a combination of things, I've had three compilations out this year; Dark Drums, Home The Album and NuBreed, also the release of my single - 'Rise In' on Bedrock and the success of my residency at Deep South. Also the amazing platform that I had in Ibiza this year, my summer residency at Space, this was a great chance to make a lot of people happy, and that's what it's about in Ibiza. It's been a lot of hard work, with all the tours surrounding the release of the compilations and I've been in the studio non-stop, remixing Cevin Fisher, BT, Soul Providers, Freak Project, Trisco, Luminance etc... I did so much this year, I think I was kinda hard to ignore!

Deep South has really made a massive impact on clubland this year. What is so special about that gig?

I think it's the fact that we tried to shape the night around the vibe as opposed to the guest DJ's, it was more about a particular kind of sound and atmosphere, so people knew what to expect from the night. They knew what kind of experience they would have.

You've just been voted 25th top DJ in the world, ahead of the likes of Laurent Garnier, Darren Emerson, Jeff Mills and David Morales. How did you feel about that?

I was very, very pleased to see that I get reognition for something that i'm so passionate about... It was a big climb from '99, my position last year, and hopefully it will climb again next year.

What was it like being hailed 'King Of Space' in Ibiza?

Really something that I can't accept... The real kings and queens of Space are the people that go to the club and have the best nights of their lives. For me I think I was very lucky to have a residency at such an amazing club. If there was a club in heaven, it would be the Space Terrace.

Is it true you have a new residency at Twilo? If yes, when is it and how did that come about?br> Yes it's true, it starts in January an is a bi-monthly on the first Friday. The last time I played there the crowd went crazy, it was possibly one of the best gigs of my life. Everything was just so perfect, the music that I played went down better in that club than anywhere in the world. Mike, the promoter, looked happier than me! As it turned out, he asked me if I would like to do a residency, and of course, I jumped at it!

Is it true you re-edit records if you don't like bits of them and have slates cut so that you can play them in your sets?

Yes, I do it to fit in with my sets. It's a lengthy process sometimes but worth it. I have my own little collection of mixes of records that nobody on this earth will ever get as I don't give my edits out to anyone.

Tell us about some of the places you have played this year.

I guess Australia is the furthest. The strangest would have to be a gig that I did in Manilla in the Phillippines as part of my Global Underground tour, the space had a capacity of 400 people and it was rammed from wall to wall but the strange thing was there were about 400 people who couldn't get in and about 150 people who waited outside the club for 4 hours until I finished, so they could get their albums signed... Amazing and strange. The biggest gig this year was the Radio 1 Love Parade, what a day!

'Rise In' was such a big tune. Do you plan to spend more time in the studio next year? Any plans for an album?

Yes, I'm in the studio all the time at the moment, but mainly remixing. I would like to do an album but my DJ-ing schedule is so busy at the moment that I don't think I could manage both. When I do an album I want it to be a real expression of my life over the last 10 years. It's gonna mean a lot to me, so it's got to be right, and I would need to spend a lot of time on it...

What has been the highlight of the year for you?

There has been so many. Space, Ibiza, 'Rise In' doing really well, which was a big suprise to me and some of the great people thet I've met on my travels. There's been so much good stuff this last year! Tune of 2000

Laurent Garnier - 'The Man With The Red Face (Jan Driver Mix)'

Gig of 2000

Pacha, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Man oh man...

Twilo is clubbin' me to the poorhouse...

Imagine...Lawler, Van Dyk, and S&D in the same month...that's 3 outta 4 Fridays...which is $90 just for the door already...

EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!

Yet so gooooood....

cwm32.gif

------------------

-=Keep it trancin'...=-

Diego, good lookin with the info. this will surely be a night of drums.

side note- since reading your post about the jets, (which i have to laugh with you on that one), my only question is, what happened to your fish? wink.gif

be cool

------------------

we must cultivate our gardens...