Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJS who produce and Producers who DJ

Sadly the way things are nowadays with the industry it looks like you can no longer just be one or the other now you have to be both.

Producers cant make enough money just on thier tracks for various reasons.(One reasons I believe is mainly because people steal thier music from file sharing).

Djs naturally evolve into production because i think sometimes they hear tracks that thier playing and think they can do a better job or something along that lines.

But what i dont understand is WHY people jump on the bandwagon of PRODUCERS who make a few good tracks thru out a yr or 2. And then suddenly get booked for a party mostly based on their production work. And then night of the party BOOM you realized damn they not so good as djs.

On the other side of that coin not every dj can make a great track either. And sometimes a dj has a certain style of playing that when it comes to thier own production you cant even tell its them anymore.

I guess what im saying is ive experienced and read many reviews of disspointing nights from these djs who oh wait never mind i meant PRODUCERS who got booked to play and were a dissapointment.

Im sure not everyone feels this way but i just wanted to share and see what peopls opinions were.

i had a conversation with Adam X about 5 years ago at limelight. He basically said production is key nowadays. If you want to blow up as a dj you have to make your own tracks, bottom line. Being a new york city pioneer of techno Adam said it was easier to just become a dj back when he started. Becuase basically no one else was doing it ya know. But now with everyone and their mother wanting or thinking they're a dj the bar needs to be set higher.

I do find that great producers arent really good djs. That doesnt stand for all, but some i have seen or herd.

:type: Here's a couple of good producers/djs------djs/producers

Junior Vasquez (JVM), .

Jvvol2.jpg

DJ/Producer

Producer/DJ

plus remixer and artist(a.k.a Ellis D among other alias names that he may have).

Danny Tenaglia used to produce alot, but not as much lately.

d682694xo4v.jpg

I almost forgot, Murk a.k.a Funky Green Dogs and other alias names they have. They produce alot of singles and albums with different artists.

murk.jpg

You don't have to necessarily produce, you just need something else to offer besides being a DJ. Something that will bring people in. Producing is just the obvious alternative. You could own a record label, a record shop, be a Playboy model, be famous (actor, or be from a popular band). Not many DJ's can get by on JUST their djing talent alone anymore. The club owners/promoters want something more. Its sad but its the truth.