Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Set times for Howells @ Crobar?

howells is the man.

still one of the few dj's that plays open til close....

Thats cause he actually knows how to open and close. Most Djs start after the opener and only know how to play the peak time stuff, not build it up from a slower relaxed atmosphere in the beginning of the nite.

i agree dh has been very unpredictable since arc. in retrosp[ect some of his arc sets- like halloween for example- look like peaks in his nyc dates....still i enjoyed his 3 spirit sets in 2005- he mixed it up, some tribal, some tech, some trance....

i was on lower east last night til almost 4. got to crobar then.

the word from a lot of people was that howells was not good.

from 4 to 5 i heard some progg type stuff that was head music but not rhythmic enough for me. i was not there from 12-4 but thats a long time to wait for him to get going. the last spirit set forexample started deep house for an hour but then picked up speed by 12-1 .

by 5 last night dh suddenly kicked it into gear. he whipped out the hard tech house & dirty filthy progg bass line stompers. by 530 or so he was awesome, it was a solid hour of nasty bass line tech house and hard house til 6 or 630. we wanted him to keep going but somehow dh was in a closing mood? so i would rate 5-630 as ****1/2 and he played a couple nice melodic house jams towards 7 close.

what i heard from 4 to 5 am wasnt even *** territory so i found the night to be less than i expected and so many people when i came in & til 5 said howells was very disappointing. i LOVED it from 5- to close, so I'll rate the night ***3/4+ something wasnt kicking last night & I wonder wht dh saved his best for the last 1-2 hours- sometimes he'll give you a full 6-8 hours from trance to house to techno to filthy progg.

curious what others thought espec what he was doing from 12-4

I got there around 230ish, left around 530ish

-

I was a regular @ howells at Vinyl/Arc and have been to all of his spirit sets

-

I definitely think that he had a better vibe at vinyl and spirit because those rooms suit him better. his crowd as well

-

I would say at around 4 he started bringing it up a notch, getting into some techy prog stuff, but i remember a couple of trancey type of vocal tracks that he sprinkled in there. personally not my cup of tea. i was waiting for him to throw down a classic howells ending....throwing down techno to begin, then progressing into breakbeats for 30 min's or so, then feeding off the crowd and throwin down some classic 80's tunes....shit i'm thinking of vinyl!!!

-

But I had a great time, i didnt want to leave and howells is my fav dj.

loved that Prince shirt