Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who Sucks More - Jersey DJs or the Jersey Crowd?

dont blame the promoters or the clubs....

Blame fickle crowds and haters. The business of nightclubs is brutal in this state. Nearly every club that has opened in this state and tried to step away from that proven formula of DJ's has wound up out of business in less than a year. Night club's are a business, not a charity for clubheads, if you want a better scene start supporting more diverse venues.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont blame the promoters or the clubs....

Blame fickle crowds and haters. The business of nightclubs is brutal in this state. Nearly every club that has opened in this state and tried to step away from that proven formula of DJ's has wound up out of business in less than a year. Night club's are a business, not a charity for clubheads, if you want a better scene start supporting more diverse venues.

i agree with you on that. 10 years ago how many nightclubs or underground afterhour parties did we have that we now have today. its crazy how many clubs you can go to now. sucks in a way cause there are certain clubs i would want to go to that my friends dont.

Z

this conversation again!!!

Here want some variety....

June 7th Steve Lawler - Abyss

June 10th Stephan Grondin - Deko (My Bday)

June 14th Victor Calderone - Abyss

June 17th DJ Vibe - Deko

June 28th - Chus & Ceballos - Abyss

June 17th DJ Vibe - Deko

in my opinion ur the only people in nj (other then AC) that can pull off artists like that...because u have an educated customer base and owners willing to take a chance....any other venues would fall on there faces..and stupid for trying... hands off to kosta and demitri and of course u binoy....

Five bucks says your friends don't want to go because it's not guaranteed to be packed. Thats the problem. People are way more concerned the place is packed with trim. Not that I have a problem with trim. I'm a big trim supporter. But i'm tired of hearing the same five tracks.

its all bout quality not quantity....

but while on the subject of DJs playin the same 5 tracks...is Sibila going to return to Mansion?

You all know I am a firm supporter of what Deko and R3 Ventures is doing for House music in Jersey. But that is exactly what this thread is talking about. If it's not Deko or Abyss people won't even give it a second thought. There are some really great DJ's in this state that don't get a chance to play at either spot, and the spots that they do play nobody wants to take the chance that they might actually have a good night. So the bottom line is people don't come out, no matter how good the "unknown" DJ is.

Binoy,

You know I support you guys to the fullest but we are talking about the Jersey DJ's and the Jersey Crowd not the big name DJ's that are touring around the world. I don't see a single Jersey DJ in that line up.

June 17th DJ Vibe - Deko

As always, Deko continues to prove that they are the only club in jersey with the cash and smarts to give a fuck about talent. But, I do agree with Madness that this thread is more about the local scene then it is about DJs from outside our state. Jersey doesn't seem to have a "scene" and for me, this is sad. There is soooo much music, performing artists, DJs, producers, etc in our own state and too few people choose to embrace it. Jersey may not sound like big room trance or the latest trendy house beat or maybe it does, but the point is Jersey must have some kind of sound, right?

When you think of Miami, NYC, LA, etc certain sounds and images come to mind. Certain DJs and producers ring a bell. Who are our DJs etc that ring a bell to those in other states or what is the Jersey image? AND, please don't tell me it's the image of following everyone else's trends. We should be proud of our own talent. Shit, what about ghetto tech and such genres from Chicago that may not be HUGE and major money makers, BUT atleast we all know it's theirs and not someone elses. They can be proud to say "We do our own thing."

sucks in a way cause there are certain clubs i would want to go to that my friends dont.

Z

Five bucks says your friends don't want to go because it's not guaranteed to be packed. Thats the problem. People are way more concerned the place is packed with trim. Not that I have a problem with trim. I'm a big trim supporter. But i'm tired of hearing the same five tracks.

if you want a better scene start supporting more diverse venues.

very true... a scene is more then just a DJ and a dance floor... it def includes local college students creating sick fashion, film students pushing their latest and greatest, local folks with $$$ dropping by to schmooze up the upcoming producer, the artist from the beach with sick sculptures, the young kid who just bought a G5 and Logic to make beats who wants to pass out his promo CD, or the performing artist from a nearby university who would love to stand naked painted green holding a bowl of fruit for some reason...

Five bucks says your friends don't want to go because it's not guaranteed to be packed. Thats the problem.

This is another good point.. sure, sometimes you wanna go to a "party" and do the party thing, but where is the opportunity to enjoy new and fresh tunes or artists? There are plenty of places in all major cities across the globe that are not packed, but have their regulars dropping by to see whats poppin... and sooner or later the word spreads and it turns into a standing room only and then that fizzles and the next fresh idea begins... where is that fresh idea in NJ? Does anyone have any suggestion of something NEW poppin around our state?

but the point is Jersey must have some kind of sound, right?

When you think of Miami, NYC, LA, etc certain sounds and images come to mind. ."

Jersey doesn't have a distinct sound

do you have any idea how many DJs left Jersey or NYC to make it on their own in other states?

This is another good point.. sure, sometimes you wanna go to a "party" and do the party thing, but where is the opportunity to enjoy new and fresh tunes or artists? There are plenty of places in all major cities across the globe that are not packed, but have their regulars dropping by to see whats poppin... and sooner or later the word spreads and it turns into a standing room only and then that fizzles and the next fresh idea begins... where is that fresh idea in NJ? Does anyone have any suggestion of something NEW poppin around our state?

here is an idea. have an open table night at a good club with a good system. same as open mic night. get there early to sign up and get your time slot. give everyone 45 min to an hour. any dj that goes will bring there crew along with them so u draw people there. start the shit at like 7-8 pm with a happy hour kinda thing with half price drinks. and then for the last hour or 2 have a better known NJ dj rip it up. not meaning blow the other djs away but to just keep the vibe and energy going so everyone has a sick time. make a website so people can leave feedback of what they thought was good and bad about the local djs who spun and gave support. im sure someone already tried to do this or even thought about it. but just givin my 2 cents. i think that would do pretty good.

Jack Z

here is an idea. have an open table night at a good club with a good system. same as open mic night. get there early to sign up and get your time slot. give everyone 45 min to an hour. any dj that goes will bring there crew along with them so u draw people there. start the shit at like 7-8 pm with a happy hour kinda thing with half price drinks. and then for the last hour or 2 have a better known NJ dj rip it up. not meaning blow the other djs away but to just keep the vibe and energy going so everyone has a sick time. make a website so people can leave feedback of what they thought was good and bad about the local djs who spun and gave support. im sure someone already tried to do this or even thought about it. but just givin my 2 cents. i think that would do pretty good.

Jack Z

already happened at Xs last summer

already happened at Xs last summer

sure it was an open table night where any local dj can just show up with records to spin or was it a set local dj for weeks in advance? i tried to get my friend dave a spot last summer but nothing worked out.

Z

sure it was an open table night where any local dj can just show up with records to spin or was it a set local dj for weeks in advance? i tried to get my friend dave a spot last summer but nothing worked out.

Z

more like a bunch of the young guns in the scene all competing for a prime time slot at tempts.

more like a bunch of the young guns in the scene all competing for a prime time slot at tempts.

yea and there are alot of young guns out there. but im talkin about a party where none of the locals, young guns or any upcomin djs are competing for anything. just getting together to lay down some tracks and have a sick time with some good peeps and drinks. someone should try it as a bi-weekly event to see how it could turn out. i would say mid-week night or suttin.

Z

Jersey doesn't have a distinct sound

do you have any idea how many DJs left Jersey or NYC to make it on their own in other states?

well, wouldn't we if everyone had the chance to do their thing here via support form their home town instead of moving out? lol

what's our problem... seriously... it's so strange how much jersey has to live in the shadow of another state... why? maybe we don't accept our sound? maye it's hiding amongst all these DJs and we just don't know it? Do we not have any producers in our state? Where are all of our producers? What are they writing, releasing, etc? Anyone out there?

well, wouldn't we if everyone had the chance to do their thing here via support form their home town instead of moving out? lol

what's our problem... seriously... it's so strange how much jersey has to live in the shadow of another state... why? maybe we don't accept our sound? maye it's hiding amongst all these DJs and we just don't know it? Do we not have any producers in our state? Where are all of our producers? What are they writing, releasing, etc? Anyone out there?

not really....cuz if you think about. Alot of the TOP DJs in Jersey are influenced by other sounds. You can't say Richie Santana has a Jersey sound cuz he doesn't, you can't say Richie Rydell has a jersey sound cuz he doesn't, you can't say Anthony DeVito has a Jersey sound cuz he doesn't. Those guys and many others are influenced by other sounds

All The Nj Producers I Know..do Well Over Seas... The Reason Undergorund House And Unknown Djs Dont Work Is Cuz Only A Very Very Tiny Percent Of The Population Like It Or Want It..and That Whole Population Who Wants It Goes To Deko Or Musically Educated Venues...

Point Blank Look At The Obvious... Mainstream And Hip Hop And Rock Rule The Majority...

Example Cascada Sold Millions Of Copies World Wide Off One Single

And People Consider It Cheezy....

Franchize Boyz Sold 3 Million Of Copies Off One Single Maybe 2

Jp Cds Lucky To Sell 50,000 Copies

Dt Cd Lucky Yo Sell 30,000 Cds

And They Have 10 Bangers On Each Cd...

Even Louie Devitos Cds Sold The Most Out Of Any Cd Compilation And Think Sold Like 150,000 Copies And Had 20 Hits On It..

House Music In The Us Is A Minority And We As People Who Like It Know About It...but The Average Girl Has No Clue Who These Djs Are..

Just My .02

All The Nj Producers I Know..do Well Over Seas... The Reason Undergorund House And Unknown Djs Dont Work Is Cuz Only A Very Very Tiny Percent Of The Population Like It Or Want It..and That Whole Population Who Wants It Goes To Deko Or Musically Educated Venues...

Point Blank Look At The Obvious... Mainstream And Hip Hop And Rock Rule The Majority...

Example Cascada Sold Millions Of Copies World Wide Off One Single

And People Consider It Cheezy....

Franchize Boyz Sold 3 Million Of Copies Off One Single Maybe 2

Jp Cds Lucky To Sell 50,000 Copies

Dt Cd Lucky Yo Sell 30,000 Cds

And They Have 10 Bangers On Each Cd...

Even Louie Devitos Cds Sold The Most Out Of Any Cd Compilation And Think Sold Like 150,000 Copies And Had 20 Hits On It..

House Music In The Us Is A Minority And We As People Who Like It Know About It...but The Average Girl Has No Clue Who These Djs Are..

Just My .02

Very good points Prime, but I think that it has a lot to do with the people that actually do like House Music not supporting other Jersey DJ's or different venues besides Deko. I am not saying that they shouldn't go there when there is one of the Sessions parties and come here me or somebody else. That would be retarded. What I am saying is if these people really enjoy the music and the culture it shouldn't take a big name DJ to come to Deko for them to come out. There are plenty of great DJ's that spin other venues on other nights but they will never know who they are unless they get a primetime spot @ Deko or XS or something like that. The same crowd that says that they are House music lovers will only leave their house's if the party is at Deko.

Deko did a lot of work to build that party and they should be commended 100% for it, cause with out them we would have never had DJ's like Sanchez, Morillo and others even in the shit eating state. But there are a lot og great DJ right here and people just have no desire to come out and here them.