Clubplanet Nightlife Community

It's not for oil?

What the fuck is this??

Bush sets goal of getting Iraqi oil to market

Outlines steps through which U.S. will provide assistance

By Greg Robb, MarketWatch

Last Update: 11:31 AM ET Jun 14, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch] -- President Bush, fresh from a surprise trip to Baghdad, said Wednesday getting Iraqi oil to the market would be one benchmark for measuring the success of the new government of Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki.

"You can measure progress in terms of oil sold on the market on behalf of the Iraqi people," Bush said during a press conference in the Rose Garden.

Putting Iraqi oil output back on track is crucial for the country, which earns around 90% of its total revenue from crude sales.

It's also important for the global economy since Iraq supplies more than 2% of the world's oil. The loss of some 600,000 barrels a day of Iraqi crude in recent months has been one of the main factors underpinning high oil prices, sector analysts say.

With all key ministry posts now filled, the new Iraqi government would be able, with American backing, to improve the living conditions in Iraq, Bush said.

"The policy of the United States government is to stand with this new government and help them succeed, and we will do what it takes to help them," Bush said.

Bush said that he went on his whirlwind trip aboard Air Force One to Iraq to see for himself if the new Iraqi government would be a reliable partner and that he was convinced after his meetings there that this was the case.

"I believe we will have a partner to do the hard work," Bush said.

Bush said he spent a lot of time talking about energy with al-Maliki and members of his cabinet. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman will go to Iraq to identfy ways to assist oil output, the president said.

Oil production is a difficult issue in Iraq because oil reserves are found mostly in Shiite-dominated provinces, raising concerns among Sunnis that they will not benefit from the sale of oil.

Trust fund urged for oil revenue

Bush said he advised al-Maliki to set up a trust fund so that Iraqis in all regions, including Kurds, have a stake in stepping the oil revenue. Petroleum output has been curtailed by insurgent attacks on the nation's antiquated oil infrastructure, which deteriorated under Saddam Hussein.

"I reminded the government that that oil belongs to the Iraqi people and the government has the responsibility to be good stewards of that valuable resource," Bush said.

"Our advice is to be careful, and to develop it with the people's interest in mind," Bush said.

Rapid repair teams are being established to quickly restore oil production if attacks occur, Bush said.

Bush also said a team from the Treasury Department will go to Iraq to help develop a public finance system.

In addition, teams from the Agriculture Department and the Commerce Department will go Iraq to help explore ways to revitalize the economy.

Bush stopped just short of saying a corner had turned in Iraq, saying that violence wouldn't end overnight.

Asked if the tide had turned, Bush replied: "I sense something different happening in Iraq. The progress will be steady toward a goal that has clearly been defined."

He said the new Iraqi government would seek to end violence in Baghdad through a new curfew and weapons ban.

In other subjects during the press conference that lasted just short of one hour, Bush predicted that Republicans would maintain control of both houses of Congress in the upcoming midterm elections.

"I believe we're going to hold the House and the Senate, because our philosophy is one that is forward-looking and optimistic and has worked," Bush said.

Bush also said senior White House official Karl Rove would remain an integral part of his team. On Tuesday, prosecutors decided not to charge Rove with any crimes in the investigation into who leaked the indentity of former CIA operative Valerie Plame. End of Story

Greg Robb is a senior reporter for MarketWatch in Washington.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?dist=newsfinder&siteid=google&guid=%7B23CF762F-A6D3-4A30-A2DE-65C43818B4F9%7D&keyword=&print=true&dist=printTop

God forbid we now help them get back on their feet and back into the World Markets.

:)

I also read that the Iraqi's also want to start contributing to the global disaster relief as a way of establishing a good reputation.

You scratch the worlds back, the world will scratch yours.

I have faith in the Iraqi's. Since day one.

God forbid we now help them get back on their feet and back into the World Markets.

I also read that the Iraqi's also want to start contributing to the global disaster relief as a way of establishing a good reputation.

Translation:

I'm glad US oil billionaires are going to profit from the murders of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians by occupying their country and STEALING their oil. Now I can rest assured that I'll have plenty of gas to guzzle down in my SUV.

I'd also like to see the Iraqis get on their feet but come on. Let's call a spade a spade. If Iraq would not have had a drop of oil we would not have sent troops there. Yes I know Saddam was a nasty guy but our planet has plenty of nasty dictators all over the world. If we're going to start taking dictators out of power then why don't start with the Fidel Castro? He's close by, been a pain in the ass since the 60's, killed lots of people. Or the Saudi royal family? Or the military dictatorship in Burma?

• 7 months later...

Well put!