Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lola..looks like its over

.....for Stevie Wonder

i htink its time to hang em up ...awesome player and career

DETROIT (AP) - The Red Wings called a news conference Monday to discuss the status of Steve Yzerman, their 41-year-old captain who has played his entire NHL career with Detroit.

Asked whether the news conference was to announce whether Yzerman would stay or go, team spokesman John Hahn said, "I can tell you that it involves Steve. I can't tell you what it's about."

Yzerman led Detroit to three Stanley Cups and playoff appearances in each of the last 15 years of his career. Only Gordie Howe holds as many franchise records.

Yzerman was 18 when he joined the Red Wings in 1983. He has been Detroit's captain since 1986, making him the longest-serving captain in league history.

Major knee surgery limited Yzerman to 16 games in 2002-03, but he came back the following season to score 18 goals and 33 assists in 75 games. He managed 14 goals and 20 assists in 61 games last season despite tearing muscles three times.

One of Detroit's most popular pro athletes, the soft-spoken player long known simply as "The Captain" is the Red Wings' all-time leader in playoff scoring. He ranks first in assists and second only to Howe in games played, goals and points in the regular season. Yzerman also finished last season with more regular-season and playoff points than any active NHL player.

Yzerman said there was a point earlier in the 2005-06 season when he seriously considered ending his career, but general manager Ken Holland approached him and said the team needed him for the next game.

Yzerman played that game, then another, and the thought eventually exited his mind. He also acknowledged that while he still wore the captain's "C" on his sweater, the Red Wings' leadership structure had changed. The veteran nucleus that helped Detroit win the Stanley Cup in 1997, 1998 and 2002 was being overtaken by new, talented youngsters, but Yzerman said he was happy to contribute as a role player.

After leading the Red Wings back from years of mediocrity to the top rank of the NHL, Yzerman's individual achievements were tempered with disappointing team results late in his career. After winning back-to-back Cups in 1997-98, Detroit lost in the first or second round in six of seven postseasons — interrupted only by the 2002 Cup.

A 10-time All-Star, Yzerman was named to the NHL's All-Rookie Team in 1984, won the Lester B. Pearson Award honoring the league's outstanding player in 1989, the Conn Smythe Trophy honoring the playoff MVP in 1998 and helped Canada win gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

FACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's my guy!!!! I'll post my pic with his jersey on later!! I luff Steve.. .but he's played a great career and he has a few rings, so its alll good if he does hang em' up. I'll survive...

and we just resigned Lindstrom for another 2 yrs :heart:

I LOVE YOU STEVIE Y :kiss2:

Best Jewish Athlete of all time

who is Yzerman?? i dont think hes a jew

best jewthlete is Sandy koufax

and Lola where is that pic of you in your thong and stevie y jersey you said you were gonna post??

who is Yzerman?? idonthtink hes a jew

best jewthlete is Sandy koufax

and Lola where is that pic of you in your thong and stevie y jersey you said you were gonna post??

haha i'm not in a thong.. i'm in the jersey 2 rows from the ice at the wings/panthers game..

i'll post it later when i get home :heart:

Steve is Canadian.. not jewish.. or is he a jewish canuck?

as far as i know steve is not a jew...(i could be wrong tho)

and bxbomb...koufax over spitz?????

yeh ill take baseball anyday over swimming

as far as it goes the body being anathletic machine i guess you would say sspitz over koufax

but as far as success , yeh spitz won gold but it was a one time deal

Koufax numbers and post seasonn performances cant be touched

BUt back to the real issue at hand

Why cant Lola take a pic wearing a thong with that jersey and post it

for Stevie Ys sake

yeh ill take baseball anyday over swimming

as far as it goes the body being anathletic machine i guess you would say sspitz over koufax

but as far as success , yeh spitz won gold but it was a one time deal

Koufax numbers and post seasonn performances cant be touched

BUt back to the real issue at hand

Why cant Lola take a pic wearing a thong with that jersey and post it

for Stevie Ys sake

bro...mark spitz won 7 golds in the 72 olympics...no one has ever done that...

and yea lola...answer the man :)

bro...mark spitz won 7 golds in the 72 olympics...no one has ever done that...

and yea lola...answer the man :)

bro... its still swimming ,nobody cares about the olympics

fronm koufax bio:

Koufax is best known for his string of six amazing seasons from 1961 to 1966 before arthritis ended his career at age 30. A notoriously difficult pitcher to hit, he was the first Major Leaguer to pitch more than three no-hitters, the first to average fewer than seven hits allowed per nine innings pitched over his career, and the first to strike out more than nine batters per nine innings pitched in his career.

Among National League pitchers with at least 2,000 innings pitched who have debuted since 1913, he has both the highest career winning percentage (.655) and the lowest career earned run average (2.76); his 2396 career strikeouts ranked 7th in major league history upon his retirement, and trailed only Warren Spahn's total of 2583 among left-handers. Retiring virtually at the peak of his career, he became, at age 36 and 20 days, the youngest player ever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame

Second in career no-hitters (4)

One of 17 pitchers to throw a perfect game (1965)

Set single season record with 382 strikeouts (now is second behind Nolan Ryan's 383 in 1973)

Holds single season record for most shutouts by a left-handed pitcher (11), breaking previous record (9) set by Babe Ruth in 1916

Led National League in ERA 5 years in a row

Led National League in strikeouts 4 times

Led National League in shutouts 3 times

Led National League in wins 3 times

0.95 ERA in 4 World Series

6 All-Star appearances

NL MVP Award (1963)

Cy Young Award (One award for both leagues until 1967. All three times he was unanimously selected.) 3 times (1963, 1965, 1966)

World Series MVP 2 times (1963, 1965)

lol....winning for your country is way more important that winning in baseball...especially at the time when koufax played and it was only a sport that americans played...they didnt even import players then....to dominate the world in a particular event is way more special (IMO of course

lol....winning for your country is way more important that winning in baseball...especially at the time when koufax played and it was only a sport that americans played...they didnt even import players then....to dominate the world in a particular event is way more special (IMO of course

What did he do in 68, or 76??