Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Top 100

I just saw the results - what the hell????????

I havent heard of half of those DJ's - seriously what a joke. Who is voting? That magazine poll has ruined booking of DJ's - Christopher Lawrence 'ranked' higher than Carl Cox???? What the hell! I am completely confused. The whole notion of giving DJ's a 'ranking' is soooooooooo freakin' lame I cant even begin to explain.

There are so many FANTASTIC DJ's in the world who could kick the crap out of 80% of these people on the list but will never get the chance to because most promoters don't know the difference between Epic Trance and Atmospheric Jungle - so this list is made to be way too important.

This list is VERY bad for electronic music and is totally over shadowing new talent and producers who can't get a break.

I am just thoroughly disappointed.

I havent heard of half of those DJ's - seriously what a joke. Who is voting? That magazine poll has ruined booking of DJ's - Christopher Lawrence 'ranked' higher than Carl Cox???? What the hell! I am completely confused. The whole notion of giving DJ's a 'ranking' is soooooooooo freakin' lame I cant even begin to explain.

There are so many FANTASTIC DJ's in the world who could kick the crap out of 80% of these people on the list but will never get the chance to because most promoters don't know the difference between Epic Trance and Atmospheric Jungle - so this list is made to be way too important.

This list is VERY bad for electronic music and is totally over shadowing new talent and producers who can't get a break.

Yet people overseas are probbaly like "who the hell is Serge Devant, Filo & Peri, DJ Dan and etc...."

FYI...a majority of the voting came frm the USA

The problem with the top 100 list this year is that a lot of the dj's on that list did mass marketing campaigns through myspace so you have a lot of names on the list that obviously don't belong. Dj's who have never played outside there own city let alone internationally.

There is unfortunately no way to judge who is the best dj. Dj'ing is not like a sport where the best player in that sport stands out as the best. It's all about marketing, connections, strategic planning, business relationships and invested interest ($$).

Another problem I see is that most people associate producers and dj's as being the same when they are completely different from one another. Producing great tracks doesn't make you a great dj. I personally see this as a problem and now more than ever we will be seeing a lot more producers touring the world as dj's with the widespread use of Ableton live which allows producers to plug in there laptop and play there pre-mixed dj sets. They should have a top 100 producers poll to seperate the two.

This year's Top 100 Dj list imo should be renamed to The Dj Mag top 100 myspace spammers list :)

-

http://www.JasonJollins.com

http://www.Beatport.com/Acute+Recordings

The problem with the top 100 list this year is that a lot of the dj's on that list did mass marketing campaigns through myspace so you have a lot of names on the list that obviously don't belong. Dj's who have never played outside there own city let alone internationally.

There is unfortunately no way to judge who is the best dj. Dj'ing is not like a sport where the best player in that sport stands out as the best.

Even more so, most people associate producers and dj's as being the same when they are completely different from one another. Producing great tracks doesn't make you a great dj. I personally see this as a problem and now we will be seeing a lot more producers touring the world as dj's while they play there pre-mixed dj sets in ableton live. They should have a top 100 producers poll to seperate the two.

-

I totally agree with Jason.... I seen alot of new producers on there, that are not known as a DJ. These producers are known for new tunes that they are putting out that is being playing on ASOT, etc...

I dont bother getting stressed over these stupid fake polls anyway, it is all mainstream... The might as well have Justin Timberlake on there aswell.......lol

Who knows maybe he is a DJ too, everyone is these days...

My personal opinion is i think AVB deserves to be #1 this year, the guy really does so much for the Trance scene all accross the globe..

There is unfortunately no way to judge who is the best dj. Dj'ing is not like a sport where the best player in that sport stands out as the best. It's all about marketing, connections, strategic planning, business relationships and invested interest ($$).

Another problem I see is that most people associate producers and dj's as being the same when they are completely different from one another. Producing great tracks doesn't make you a great dj. I personally see this as a problem and now more than ever we will be seeing a lot more producers touring the world as dj's with the widespread use of Ableton live which allows producers to plug in there laptop and play there pre-mixed dj sets. They should have a top 100 producers poll to seperate the two.

This year's Top 100 Dj list imo should be renamed to The Dj Mag top 100 myspace spammers list :)

-

VERY TRUE INDEED

To me there is nothing cheesier than a DJ begging people to vote for him for the TOP 100. The whole thing needs to just GO AWAY really. It's a classless joke with no merrit what so ever.

Hopefully this will be the last year, since it's obviously hit an all time low.

VERY TRUE INDEED

To me there is nothing cheesier than a DJ begging people to vote for him for the TOP 100. It's a classless joke with no merrit what so ever.

Hopefully this will be the last year, since it's obviously hit an all time low.

Kinda like JP beggin for votes to be DJTimes Best DJ in America....?