Clubplanet Nightlife Community

11.08: Klute | Spirit | Demetrios | Shade | Bobby Jae +more!

upfrontdc

Wednesday | November.08.2006

M3 and Upfront Industries LLC present:

5dnblogo.jpg

Rinse Magazine, District Soul and DCDNB sponsored event

METALHEADZ NIGHT

klute.jpg

KLUTE [ Commercial Suicide | Metalheadz ] - UK **5DNB DEBUT**

Tom Withers (Klute) has been a musician all his life. As Tommy Stupid he released his first 7" aged 15 with his legendary skate punk band, The Stupids. They went on to release several more 7" and Albums with Children of The Revolution and Vinyl Solution Records, John Peel Sessions, and tour the world with their live show.

After a well deserved sabbatical and discovering house and techno Klute was born and Drum and Bass was the music. Initially working for several years with Certificate 18 Records he eventually established Commercial Suicide in 2001, releasing music from a range of artists. Outside the label he continues to DJ and release music with others such as Hospital, 31, Soul:R and Metalheadz.

When not making Drum and Bass, Tom likes to make techno and play drums in his punk band. When not making music, Tom likes to go to skate parks and tend to his beloved allotment.

spirit.jpg

SPIRIT [ Inneractive | Metalheadz ] - UK

From his early days on Metalheadz, to his collaborations with Digital to his own heavy and challenging label Inneractive, Spirit has been bringing his own sound to the genre and suprising audiences with every other selection out of the bag. Spirit's solo work continued with further releases for C.I.A, Timeless, Renegade Hardware (including the mammoth 'Sphinx') and the mighty 'Solitaire' for Metalheadz, culminating in the launch of his own solo imprint, Inneractive Music in the summer of 2002. The last two years have seen Spirit go on to even bigger and better things. With Inneractive Music now firmly in position and into double figures release wise, work for Klute's Commercial Suicide label, the Solitaire Remix or Metalheadz alongside tracks for their MDZ03 & MDZ04 compilations, Marcus Intalex & St. Files Revolve:r imprint and a host of remixes which included the Goldie classic ‘Sinister’, Spirit is currently hard at work on his debut album for Inneractive Music in spring 2005, while also allowing the label to showcase newer talent from the likes of Amit, Outrage, Cujo, Tactile & Heist.

DEMETRIOS [ Free Agent ] - BMORE

Demetrios has been a solid fixture in the Baltimore/DC drum and bass scene for many years. From old skool to liquid to the most current floor smashing tunes, Demetrios’ sets always keep a crowd moving. His upfront selection, nonstop mixing and respect for the classics has caught the ears of club goers and promoters alike. Look out for his “Dog & Pony Show†double CD demo currently making the rounds.

SHADE [ Syndrome | EXBC ] - DC

No stranger to the DC scene, Shade has been playing out all over the DC/Baltimore corridor for almost five years now. Bringing a distinct variety of dark and techy tunes with a nod to the classics, he is certain to get you moving. For a preview of what's to come, tune in to EXBC every Friday night, which he co-hosts with long-time crewmate DJ Ill Effect at www.expansionbroadcast.com.

BOBBY JAE [ Upfront | 5DNB ] - DC

Mastering the sounds of DC drum and bass, Bobby Jae never fails with his impeccable mixing and top-notch selection. Be sure to check out Bobby Jae's new highly anticipated mix, Upfront Drum n' Bass. This follow up to his URB Mix It Best classic, Perpetual Motion, is a veritable showcase of the liquid, funky sounds that many artists on the Upfront Industries roster are currently cultivating.

w/ visuals by VJ METAPHREQ [ www.EightyEightDC.com ]

Rooftop Patio: Kenny & Friends!!

DEYV & ALBIE:S [ 88 Music ]

SHANE CAMP [ OmniPresent ]

KEN LAZEE [ Upfront | Broken Soul ]

House, Breaks, Hip-Hop, Funk and Classics

Promotional giveaways ALL night. Arrive early for:

Promo T-Shirts, CDs, Test Pressings, Posters, and MORE!!

(METALHEADZ, UPFRONT, RINSE & DCDNB)

**SPECIAL: $5 SOCO & LIME ALL NIGHT**

5DNB Residents: HIVE, LOGISTICS, BREAKAGE & BOBBY JAE

21 & over

9pm - 3am

$10 ALL NIGHT

No Dress Code

www.UpFrontDC.com

www.FiveDC.com

www.Rinsemag.com

www.DistrictSoul.com

www.DCDNB.org

www.CapitalCityRecords.com

www.KickBallersUSA.com

FIVE

1214 B 18th St NW

Washington DC 20036

Interested in helping with promotions?

EMAIL: EVENTS@UPFRONTDC.COM

Interested in playing at this event?

**MIX-CD DROP OFF NOW AVAILABLE**

uflogo1.jpg

home.jpg

dnbflyer.jpg

i'm getting excited for my shade fix monkeydance.gif the only downside to this is that being on a plane this past weekend gave me the somewhat unfortunate side effect of not being able to hear in my left ear. methinks this is a bad thing. the last time this happened i was deaf in one ear for 2.5 weeks! anyone ever have this happen to them? if i deafen myself this weds how am i going to hear dara?! smashed.gif

for anyone who doesn't know these guys, they rock. annnnd to prove it to you :

Metalheadz is a pioneering drum and bass record label based in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1993 by Doc Scott and Goldie, it has been home to some of the drum and bass scene's brightest talent and is notable for the high quality of its back catalogue. respekt.gif The Metalheadz back catalogue features almost every major figure in the history of the genre, with artists such as Photek, Dillinja, Adam F, Source Direct, Ed Rush & Optical contributing major productions to the imprint.

Additionally, Metalheadz released the groundbreaking Platinum Breaks series of compilations, which were hailed by critics as the uniquely futuristic sound of young, multiracial Britain. They showcased a maturing genre of music that displayed the influences of reggae, hip-hop, house and techno and were highly-sophisticated and intricately-produced, contrary to the image of the music that had been presented by the mass media up to that point. Before their release, drum and bass compilations had been more closely associated with live DJ mix albums of varying quality, and the interest in the Platimum Breaks series proved instrumental in bringing the scene from its underground origins to the brink of mainstream success (at least in the UK).

The Metalheadz label was also the driving force behind the seminal Metalheadz Sunday Session Club Nights, which achieved a legendary status at London's Blue Note club. Goldie, the club night, the label and its artists were some of the key elements in drum and bass/jungle's mid-to-late 90's mainstream resurgence. Metalheadz continues to put on nights worldwide, and has a current monthly residency at London's Herbal club.

i have several metalheadz cds and if you're nice / shower me with gifts / buy me a hot chocolate (normally i would say a shot of patron but since i'm a little sick, i'll try to be good trio.gif) i might just offer to burn a cd for you. wink2.gif

and PS: i'm finally getting to read all of my old bpm issues i didn't have time to go through and i've decided mickey avalon is my new hero.