Clubplanet Nightlife Community

***weyes' wisdom of the year - end of 2006

weyes

2006 was a particularly rough year for weyes as well as for many of her friends and, as we've shared together, people on this board. with that in mind, this column will not be in the same naive mindset in which so many new year's wishes are set forth, but in more realistic hopes, as this author truly wishes the best for all reading this.

it's very easy to say that one should "take care of oneself, otherwise, who else will?" it's a cliche, and, when one hears it, s/he either dismisses it as such or reminds him/herself that it's good advice. but, just as it's easy to say this, the people to whom this is most often said find it just as hard to do, and they rarely actually put it into action.

what this idea means is sometimes saying "no," even to friends and family. sometimes it means treating ourselves to little luxuries without feeling guilty. it can mean standing up for ourselves, even when it's easier to just ignore problems or accept defeat. one needs to understand that taking care of him/herself isn't being selfish, it's self-love, and sometimes even self-preservation.

we can go on another day when we know that we can take care of ourselves - that we're not at the mercy of others or of the future itself. while we cannot control what comes next, we have a say in how it affects us. we can decide that we will not be destroyed. and soon, even we are a force greater than ourselves; we've found a sort of healthy auto-pilot we never thought we'd reach.

while this all may sound like over-simplification, i assure you that it's not. everything i've just written takes time, hard work, and determination. but, as i said in the first paragraph, it's not naive in that it's possible. and along the way we make better and better decisions, learning, growing stronger and happier all along the way.

i wish everyone a better 2007 than any of us can imagine.

love,

weyes