Clubplanet Nightlife Community

2007 MMA Thread: Pride, UFC, EXC, ROTR....

stymie

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yeah I thought the same exact thing as you... wow.... I think this was a WAY bigger upset than silvia, GSP and crocop losing. I threw money down on Serra and won alot... I ALMOST bet the fucking farm on Lidell.... thank god I didnt.... Id be sleeping in the dog house for the next few weeks lol.

Next upset is Nate Marquadt (sp?) taking Anderson Silvas MW title.

**And Dan henderson and Shogun Rua fighting in the UFC now is fucking awesome... gonna be some exciting fights coming up in the next yr...

Haha! That's a coincidence, as I was telling myself to stop being a pussy and pull a Fred Wilson, by putting money on Liddell as well.

Dan Henderson is great, but I wish he fights at 185 lbs, as that class desperately needs help. And Rua is a fucking animal, as I think the kid is only 25-26? That's fucking nuts!

I loved Anderson Silva in Pride, but he definitely struggles against BJJ guys and grapplers, as one Jap (his name escapes me) pulled a major upset win over him.

:laugh:

I read 3 threads on sherdog today saying chris leben clearly won the fight.

:rofl: It's definitely fun to watch Karo, as he is one of the most entertaining fighters because of his all crazy judo throws. However, he is miles away from deserving a title shot - maybe after he finally wins by a KO?

I just made the severe mistake of going back to the Sherdog message board forum to read "intelligent commentary". My favorite is that Dana White doesn't want the UFC to have a black champion. :blown:

makes sense he is from southie

It seems the only people who think UFC 71 was a failure are the sort of mainstream national sports media columnists who never want to take a moment to learn something out of their wheelhouse, and wish mixed martial arts would simply go away.

We got a blowaway response to UFC 71, both in terms of page views and the sheer number of blog comments to our main event post. Nearly all of the feedback about the show has been positive, and MMA fans have never been shy to express their opinions when they don't like what they see. The show was entertaining from top to bottom, there wasn't a boring match, there was a near-perfect mix of submissions, KOs, and the two fights that went to decisions were filled with action.

But never mind. Some people were simply going to latch on to something to pick apart no matter what.

And they had it ready-made in the fact the main event only went 1:38, as Quinton Jackson TKOd Chuck Liddell to capture the UFC light heavyweight title. There it is, the angle they're looking for: How can UFC expect to maintain a fan base when the main event is so short?

I've been around long enough to know how this works: Find an easy angle, spit out clichés for 20 minutes, hit "send," then head off to the bar for the night. One gets the impression they would have called UFC too boring if the fight went the distance, and would have come up with something else had it gone three.

But let's give the argument casual fans won't pay for short main events a look. Here are the results of UFC's pay-per-view main events in 2006:

UFC 57: Liddell KOs Randy Couture, Round 2

UFC 58: Rich Franklin decisions David Loiseau after five rounds

UFC 59: Tim Sylvia TKOs Andrei Arlovski, Round 1

UFC 60: Matt Hughes TKOs Royce Gracie, Round 1

UFC 61: Sylvia decisions Andrei Arlovski after five rounds

UFC 62: Liddell TKO's Renato Sobral, Round 1

UFC 63: Hughes TKOs B.J. Penn, Round 3

UFC 64: Anderson Silva KOs Franklin, Round 1

UFC 65: Georges St. Pierre TKOs Hughes Round 2

UFC 66: Liddell TKOs Tito Ortiz, Round 3

Four of 10 pay-per-view main events finished in one round, six went less than 10 minutes. Going into 2006, UFC had never done 200K PPV buys for a show in the Zuffa LLC era. Liddell-Ortiz did 1,050,0000. I would say a more-than-500-percent increase in business in less than one year doesn't quite qualify as "turning off casual fans."

Further, one fight not listed there was Ortiz and Ken Shamrock, the semi-main event of UFC 61, which was stopped in less than two minutes. Fans hated the decision at the time. But that match was parlayed into the biggest TV rating in UFC history for Ortiz-Shamrock III, and helped build Ortiz and Liddell, both of whom were coming off first-round wins, into the biggest buy rate in UFC history.

If anything, the evidence suggests fans get into fighters with first-round stoppage power. But then, the opinion kings weren't looking to do any research before jumping to conclusions.

Just for kicks, let's stretch this out into 2007:

UFC 67: Silva TKOs Travis Lutter, Round 2

UFC 68: Couture decisions Sylvia, five rounds

UFC 69: Matt Serra TKOs St. Pierre, Round 1

UFC 70: Gabriel Gonzaga KOs Mirko Cro Cop, Round 1

UFC 71: Jackson TKOs Liddell, Round 1

UFC 70 was seen on Spike TV, meaning casual fans had the opportunity to sample the product on basic cable. And that they did: Among males aged 18-34, UFC 70 did better ratings than Red Sox-Yankees, the NBA playoffs, and NASCAR. They saw a first-round KO. And they still came back and helped make UFC 71 a show that will give UFC 66 a real run for the buy-rate record.

UFC has been roping in casual fans over the past 18 months without the approval of self-appointed opinion shapers. The people have voted with their dollars and will continue to do so whether or not the intelligentsia comes along for the ride.

UFC 70 was seen on Spike TV, meaning casual fans had the opportunity to sample the product on basic cable. And that they did: Among males aged 18-34, UFC 70 did better ratings than Red Sox-Yankees, the NBA playoffs, and NASCAR.

that IS something to brag about

Ill take a 1 minute rampage KO any day over an Arlovski 25 minute sprawl-and-barely brawl

main event yes.... the fight people were looking fwd to most... no

and a Liddell KO loss is a good thing, because now that he lost its a perfect time for him to fight Wanderlei Silva and thats a fight people have been wanting to see for years.... and dana White said that silva would be liddells next opponent now

One more thing about Liddell

I saw that guy hanging out at Tryst on thursday night...the day before the weigh-ins. I turned to a buddy of mine, who's an amateur MMA fighter, and we both were like what the fuck. seriously, i think chuck got a little too glory drunk

One more thing about Liddell

I saw that guy hanging out at Tryst on thursday night...the day before the weigh-ins. I turned to a buddy of mine, who's an amateur MMA fighter, and we both were like what the fuck. seriously, i think chuck got a little too glory drunk

wasnt that for a fund raiser tho?

Report: BTT’s Paulo Filho signing with WEC

Posted by Performify on May 31, 2007 at 9:21 pm ET

paulo_filho.jpgNoted Brazilian Top Team middleweight Paulo Filho (14-0 MMA) is close to signing with the World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) organization, reports Brazilian publication Tatame. The WEC is owned by Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the UFC. The article reports that Filho will likely fight in the WEC as soon as July.

In building his impressive 14-0 professional MMA record, Filho has notable wins over the tough Amar Suloev at PRIDE Bushido 6 and over Murilo “Ninja” Rua at PRIDE Bushido 10 as well as past wins over Yuki Kondo in the Japanese MMA organization DEEP and Ikuhisa “the Punk” Minowa in Pancrase.

Rumors had surfaced in the past month that Filho was close to signing with the UFC - unconfirmed rumors even surfaced that Rich Franklin had been offered a fight against Filho for UFC 73, but that Franklin’s camp had declined the fight. Now it looks like Filho will move to terrorize the WEC for a few fights and compete for the WEC’s vacant middleweight title instead of joining the ranks of the elite in the UFC. With the amassing of talent currently underway in the UFC, it might become a more common occurrence for talented fighters from the PRIDE organization to move to the WEC as a starting point to gain experience in the octagon.

Filho reports in the article that he is currently at 95 kilograms (approximately 209 pounds) but reports he expects no trouble in making weight for fights as soon as July.

Filho - who just turned 29 this month - holds a blackbelt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and trains with at Brazilian Top Team with former UFC middleweight champion Murilo Bustamante and alongside the Nogueira brothers.

UFCjunkie.com readers should recognize the name Nogueira as belonging to new UFC heavyweight (and former PRIDE fighter) Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira who is scheduled to make his UFC debut at UFC 73 against Heath Herring. You may not be as familiar with Minotauro’s twin brother, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Rogerio Nogueira fought at 205-pounds in PRIDE and is currently training to fight as a boxer in the 2007 Pan American games, which are in Brazil in July. Rogerio Nogueira is actually an accomplished boxer, having recently won the Brazilian Championship and the 2006 South American Games. Rogerio Nogueira holds notable MMA wins over Dan Henderson, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Alistair Overeem (twice) but has lost two of his last three MMA fights, to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at PRIDE Critical Countdown 2005 and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at PRIDE 33 in Las Vegas. The latter is considered one of MMA’s largest upsets (Rogerio Nogueira was as much as a -1800 favorite in the fight).

Evan Tanner - back in the UFC, sept. card...

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/06/03/evan-tanner-added-to-ufc-75-or-ufc-76/

Marcus Aurelio - signed, ufc...

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/06/03/atts-marcus-aurelio-signs-with-the-ufc/

Way too many guys coming over to the UFC from PRIDE... I mean I liked it at 1st but now this shit is getting out of hand. It just looks like the UFC is sucking PRIDE dry...

Evan Tanner - back in the UFC, sept. card...

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/06/03/evan-tanner-added-to-ufc-75-or-ufc-76/

Marcus Aurelio - signed, ufc...

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/06/03/atts-marcus-aurelio-signs-with-the-ufc/

Way too many guys coming over to the UFC from PRIDE... I mean I liked it at 1st but now this shit is getting out of hand. It just looks like the UFC is sucking PRIDE dry...

Can you blame Dana? PRIDE always was the better promotion. Just take a look at the UFC's heavyweight division before the merger - it was a fucking joke.