Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone Know The Release Date For Danny Tenaglia's New Cd??

Loudness, how old are you? I'm very curious on this one.

Like I said, most mixed cds are pc based. Listening to sasha's ibiza cds you can't escape it. ON hte northern exposure cds they are pc based (sans teh west coast which is riddled with warmth and lil pops).

The program of choice to do this is Protools. Protools does more than jsut sequence. It's apowerful enough program that hundreds or perhaps thousands of additional programsmodules/patches/etc have been created to be installed in it to do much more. Filters, efx, wave manipulation, etc.

If you listen closely to the songs on the cds, sometimes they don't sound like hte origianl. That's because the djs end up making their own edits of the song, grabbing one element they like and playing around with it.

The purpose of a 24-30 dolalr mix cd is to do something that you can't do with mere turntables. The production of the cd is an art within itself. The djs selected to do teh cds already have the skills to mix a plain cd, why not shoot for something more challanging?

With licensing issues, it is almost impossible to jsut grab a dat or 2 from the night and press that to cd. Preselecting licensed tracks is also unfair to teh crowd at hand as it limits what the dj can play. Taking the elected tracks and mixing them on tables afterwards sounds jsut as canned as mixing them on the pc. Think about it, what energy is there to feed from except the wall in front of you?

So the cds are pc based? Big deal. As long as the packaging doesn't say "live" whats the issue?

Thank you for showing your intelligence in this matter, I admit I do not know what program they use to do this, but the technology does exsist, and they do mix with their computers.

If you look back at my first post, thats all I said. I never said their was anything wrong with it, people started jumping on the offense and started with the name calling, which is very imature and the the conversation started to heat up.

The truth of the matter is that dj's aren't perfect and even the best of them fall off beat, and to make mixes like the ones that are on global underground they HAVE to use computers. If not, then they would not need to be pc mixed. And again, I never said their was anything wrong with this.

OK , here are the facts.....

He mixed the CD on his day off at Vinyl to DAT. He used two turntables and

a UREI mixer, and 2 Pioneer CD players. Then he loaded what he "MIXED" into pro-tools

to edit the songs so they are not tooo long, and to be able to fit all of them

on each CD keeping each under 74 minutes. There are about 12-14 songs on

each CD and with editing, he shaves off some parts that just go on a bit too long.

Most songs today are approximately 10 minutes or longer. That would mean

7-8 songs per CD. He was approved for about 30 songs that he chose for his GU CD. He still had to leave out some because it would have been too long...

and also

QUANTIZING is used in sequencing software

programs like Logic Audio, Pro-tools, Performer, Vision, Cubase etc....Quantizing is NOT used in editing songs that are too long on CD's.

It's true...it's true....

Quantize helps with songs that fall off beat or with the phasing effect.

------------------

WHO CONTROLS THE PAST, CONTROLS THE FUTURE. WHO CONTROLS THE PRESENT CONTROLS THE PAST.

IF BOTH THE PAST AND THE EXTERNAL WORLD EXSIT ONLY IN THE MIND AND THE MIND ITSELF IS CONTROLABLE, WHAT THEN.

My post was to refute your statements, which were:

****It's a know fact dumb ass that all Global Underground cd's are mixed through a computer. They Download the songs to a COMPUTER, can you say COMPUTER dumb ass,c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r, and the computer mixes it for them.*****

and

****And if they do a live set, they run it through a computer dumb ass, to fix their mistakes using Quantize, can you say quantize dumb ass, q-u-a-n-t-i-z-e, but since your such a dumb ass I will have to tell you what this means.****

You were incorrect on both counts pertaining to DT's GU CD's (and all his CD's in fact).

Hey LOUDNESS,

Have you ever used Pro Tools????

Do you know what a sequencer is?

Quantize??? Is that a new word you heard some producer mention when he was writing tracks.

Let me explain a process for you.

Live mix, gets recorded to a digital medium, ie: DAT(thats a digital audio tape), or into a DAW(thats a digital audio workstation.)

Pro Tools would fall under the DAW aspect. Pro Tools allows you to edit audio, and used for Post Production. You can do many functions with Pro Tools that include, but are not limited to; editing parts(delete, double, mix, clean, and effect tracks)This is to help live mixes to be manipulated for timing purposes and quality, levels, overall mastering for the final CD.

Pro Tools does also contain a track for MIDI, but in now way is considered a SEQUENCER.

Sequencers are MIDI-based programs that are used in creating songs, Studio Vision, Cakewalk, Cuebase, Logic, just to name a few. Now Sequencers also have the ability to record and playback audio. BUT the biggest difference is that QUANTIZING is used for MIDI, you can align beats for example to the quater note (ie Kick drum) hi-hat to 16ths ie (Boom, da da da Boom da da da).

I will not say this is the only way DJ's make CD's but this is widely-used process.

I know you'll have a reply to this, so I say, just ask me any question you may have, and I will learn you your erraneous ways.

- Peter

[This message has been edited by schwingep (edited 08-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by schwingep (edited 08-12-2000).]

I saw in a magazine that Global underground cd's where run through a computer.

Question: Do dj's run the set they recorded through a computer not just to edit but to fix the cd IF they fall off beat using quantize? Not a train wreck, but a little off beat?

Question: Do they have computer programs that allow you to download songs into the computer and mix them down?

Question: Have any dj's ever used this to make cd's?

Loudness,

Good to see you're asking questions.

As far as using the computer to fix a mix, you can't do that, once the mix is recorded to two tracks(stereo) there is no way of seperating them. If the kick flams, you can't use a quantize to fix it. Quantize only lines up beats in MIDI, like when someone is writing the track.

There are programs that allow you to mix tracks together, but it's not the best way to go. You have to change the tempo via time compression/expansion and then pitch, then you have to make sure the beats line up, and then you set a x-fade, the only problem is that when you play with the pitch and time of a digital audio track, it usually wreaks some kind of havoc on the audio quality. It plays with the phasing so it doesnt sound as good. It also takes quite some time to do, and the results are never as good as a live mix.

The only thing that comes close to what you may be thinking is that the person records a track on channels 1 and 2 (stereo left & right) and then plays back that track and mixes the next track in on 3&4, so if they make a mistake, they just re-do the new track. You still have a LIVE mix, but it's just not from a fully live set. Think of it as a guitarist re-doing his solo till it's the way he likes it. This is a process that some DJ's do, but others are taken right from lives sets. I have plenty of mix CD's that you can tell it's live and hear some little flams, and then the ones that are completely in the box(or so to speak)You feel the difference.

I can tell you stories about how to make a bands drummer play in time via editing the drum parts, but when it comes to beat-matching there is no quick fix button.

Hope this helps.

- Peter