Clubplanet Nightlife Community

need some help with mixer info...

i want to get a mixer and tables, and i just got this catalog from

samash. they got a deal for a foster vm200 digital mixer for 500beans. they

claim the list price is 1500. sounds like a great deal, should i get it? and

also, what kinda turntables should i get. money is not an object to a certain

degree, i wanna get quality stuff. any help will be greatly appreciated, i

know there's a few djs up in this mix. thanx.

pooh

------------------

deez nuts

for tables technics MK 1200 almost certainly.....best on the market and everything on them is replacable....they will last you the rest of your life even if you treat them like shit...as for the mixer i'll have to look into that, i haven't heard of that model given that i've been too poor to mixer shop for a while now

------------------

"Don't go crazy, don't get depressed, don't go after stupid, unattractive women, don't fight the feelin', don't let anyone tell you that disco house is terrible." --Trevor Zier

Originally posted by Pershoot:

dont go to sam ash...go to canal st., mad deals

whats your opinion on the foster vm200 though? from 1500 to 500, i doubt there'll be better deals at canal. is this a good mixer though?

------------------

deez nuts

Originally posted by p00h:

i want to get a mixer and tables, and i just got this catalog from

samash. they got a deal for a foster vm200 digital mixer for 500beans. they

claim the list price is 1500. sounds like a great deal, should i get it? and

also, what kinda turntables should i get. money is not an object to a certain

degree, i wanna get quality stuff. any help will be greatly appreciated, i

know there's a few djs up in this mix. thanx.

pooh

Pooh - I'm selling 2 1200's with needle and cartridge (great Shape) $500 (for Both) and a Marantz CD Burner for $500. I have a coffin for a $100. The Mixer Sam Ash is selling is worth it.

I now have 2 1210's and a new burner. If you are interested. djchriscap@yahoo.com

------------------

It's all in the music

Originally posted by djchris:

Pooh - I'm selling 2 1200's with needle and cartridge (great Shape) $500 (for Both) and a Marantz CD Burner for $500. I have a coffin for a $100. The Mixer Sam Ash is selling is worth it.

I now have 2 1210's and a new burner. If you are interested. djchriscap@yahoo.com

chris how much do the tables go for in stores. only reason i'm askin is cuz i own a business and i can buy shit through my business and write it off as expenses.

------------------

deez nuts

You can't get anything BUT Techinic 1200s

There is no comparison

And for a mixer (if $ is no concern)

Get something rotary like the new RANE or VESTEX ...

And if you want to go all out get the

PIONEER EFX-500,the SONY MDR-v700 Headphones & Some nice ADVENT studio montiors ...

Then all you need is the skill & you can't buy that ...

GOOD LUCK

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

PIONEER EFX-500

fucking killer mixer....a friend of mine just got one of those and the stuff you can do with it is amasing. we hooked it up to his 8080, three tables and my computer for a house party and were throwing down all sorts of crazy tricks and burning it all on cd and mini the whole time....the thing is fantastic.

------------------

"Don't go crazy, don't get depressed, don't go after stupid, unattractive women, don't fight the feelin', don't let anyone tell you that disco house is terrible." --Trevor Zier

Originally posted by p00h:

Originally posted by djchris:

chris how much do the tables go for in stores. only reason i'm askin is cuz i own a business and i can buy shit through my business and write it off as expenses.

I think each one is $450 - $500 each. You're talking over $1,000 for 2 tables w/needles and cartridges. I can get you (if you want a receipt for that amount). smile.gif There is also Uncle Steve's on canal st. Sshhh Dave Marvisi's brother.

------------------

It's all in the music

technic tables usually go for $450-$500 each. but if you don't want to spend that much by them used, they will still perform well.

and i'd recommend a vestax mixer, i love mine, 17A

hope that helps!

-kathy

oh, and also check out EBAY, they have good stuff sometimes

------------------

things to see, people to do... hehe

Yo - if you want to get a really dope mixer that is cheap (like $400) try the Stanton RM-Three... its truly dope, I have that and a Urei in my rig at home....

and by the way, there are some new tables comin out that are almost as good, it not as good as the 1200s.... (i demo ed them at NAMM show in Nashville last month, I work for EQ and extreme groove mags, so I get the scoop on all the equipment goodies..... smile.gif

the new vestax PDX-2000 is a really dope table, and get this, for $159 each, the Stanton STR8-50 is a great deal too... and it's BELT DRIVE!!!!! but still picks up almost as good as a 12.....

I am actually writing a review of the stanton RM three mixer for the mag right now.... here is what I have so far...hope thie helps bro...

"As a DJ, every now and then you come across a product that you just can't seem to keep you hands off. Stanton's RM-Three mixer is one of those products. From it's functional design to its aesthetically pleasing appearance, this affordable mixer is definitely of professional caliber. Since reviewing the product, it has become the primary mixer in my studio rig, and I would highly recommend it to other DJs.

Finally, a manufacturer has designed a ten-inch mixer with the house/techno programmer in mind. The board is arranged into three separate vertical channel groups, and features six line, three phono, and two mic inputs. The RM-Three's 60 millimeter volume faders are tight and sticky. They won't move from getting inadvertently tapped, and they wont be adjusted incidentally by the incessant throbbing of high-powered monitor speakers. Each of the mixer's three channels has a knob controlling gain and pan, in addition to a three band EQ isolation group. And best of all, the isolation controls really work. They can boost a frequency by up to 9dB and cut it down to -26dB. If you position the low, mid, and high knobs at full cut on a particular channel, nothing will leave the speakers. No fuzz, no extraneous tones, no sound whatsoever. These are truly frequency isolating kill knobs that have the same functionality as highly touted and expensive standalone units. The RM-Three also offers another method of manipulating frequency response."

HELL YEAH!!! The EFX-500 is the SHIT...I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITH OUT IT ...

& pOOh ...yeah thats a good deal but i'm not to big on that mixer, the volumes and kills were out to fast .. my boy had one & he just got rid of it ... if you like .. get it ....

BUT I'm telling rotary is the way to go

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

so pioneer efx500 is the thing to get then? is it digital? and what exactly do you gain with a digital mixer over analog. i'm an absolute newbie to this stuff so bear with my lack of knowledge.

chris i sent you a private message...

------------------

deez nuts

[This message has been edited by p00h (edited 08-16-2000).]

its not a mixer

its an effect processor

you can sample with it and it has all sorts of tricks you can add to your mix

you'd run an OUT line from the mixer into the IN on the EFX box and then OUT to your amp or reciever ...

RCA jacks or 1/4 inch jacks ...

also its MIDI capable

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

Originally posted by frankie_pep:

its not a mixer

its an effect processor

you can sample with it and it has all sorts of tricks you can add to your mix

you'd run an OUT line from the mixer into the IN on the EFX box and then OUT to your amp or reciever ...

RCA jacks or 1/4 inch jacks ...

also its MIDI capable

ok i'm getting really confused now. what are the basics i need to start mixing? my understanding was a mixer and turntables. and if thats the case, what is a good mixer that is widely used. the 1200 seem to be the best tables to get, and do i really need an efx processor at this stage.

and is that foster vm200 a good deal from 1500 to 500?

------------------

deez nuts

Guest crystalmethodny

DJChris,

I'm interested in those tables.

I emailed you.

Peace

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

yes, the foster is a good deal

no, u don't need the EFX box @ this stage

And for the basics are u need is 2turntables,A mixer(2-channels or more),needles,headphones,an amp or reciever & nice speakers

p.s. - when setting all this up it is key that you have your monitors in front of you or on tripods next to you at ear level ... you can hear the mix 10x better then if you had them on the floor below ear level ... And don't put your speakers on the same table as your decks ... FEEDBACK IS YOUR ENEMY

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

[This message has been edited by frankie_pep (edited 08-16-2000).]

thanks frankie, i'm gonna go for the foster then, worry bout efx when i get a bit advanced. chris i want those tables too, i sent you a PM! cm takem if u want, or if you want we can have a breakdance battle forem.

------------------

deez nuts

yep, the knobs will be available in like a month.... and Stanton is actually developing a new mixer that will shock the dJ world.... its the world's first tube mixer... something huge (like 3x2 feet) and silver, with every effect you can imagine built in....and get this, the VU meters are filled with flourescent blue LIQUID that bounces up and down to the beat of the music.... this thing is ridic....It will be out in about three months and is gonnna cost like $4 g's....