Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Global Underground release tour kickoff with ADAM FREELAND - friday may 18th@ shine

shinemiami

friday may 18th, shine in association with future mob productions presents:

GLOBAL UNDERGROUND CD RELEASE TOUR KICKOFF FEAT ADAM FREELAND

- opening set by sebastion c and closing set by conway and Jon Cowan (back 2 back) -

- adam freeland is one of the worlds finest talents and this will be his first miami show outside of conference. this should be special

shine - shelborne hotel - 1801 collins ave

www.shinesouthbeach.com

tickets avail now for only $8 on wanttickets.com - this price is limited so get your tickets now!

GU 32 Review from Residentadviser.net

Breaks pioneer Adam Freeland mixes up rock, breaks, house and minimal on the latest Global Underground volume. 'GU 32: Mexico ' hits shelves in June.

Freeland has been championed as a breaks DJ since the mid-nineties, especially for his genre-pioneering 'Coastal Breaks' volumes and nu-skool mixes 'On Tour' and 'Tectonics'. But he's also been known to mix it up. 'Fabriclive 16' showed he was not averse to crossing breaks with hip-hop and electro while his debut album 'Now and Them' brought the genre to the mainstream by flirting with rock, vocals and rap.

His latest double CD compilation for Global Underground sees him moving another step away from the sound that earned him props: ‘GU 32: Mexico’ has a surprising tracklist, throwing minimal [My My, Cobblestone Jazz], dub techno [substance & Vainqueur] and French dance punk [Justice, Para One and K.I.M] into the mix. So what happened to the breaks, Adam? "The idea of breaks as a limited formulaic genre that has to sound a certain way to be considered righteous is the spirit of what I've always fought against, " Freeland told RA. "What I play is about attitude and sensibility rather than genre purism. The likes of Justice, Phones, SebastiAn and Evil Nine are the very spirit of breaks, and the finest that have existed date. Pure energy, raw punk attitude and high production value that first excited me about genre."

While CD1 concentrates on dance punk, CD2 sees Freeland moving further towards 4/4 as he cosies up to dub techno and even minimal house. "There are definitely more minimal and deeper moments on this CD than my last few mixes,†explains Freeland. “I think partly down to the fact that this is my first double mix CD in almost ten years, so I've really been able to spread my wings and indulge myself fully in whatever I wanted to do. So many boundaries have broken down now and there is so much incredible music out there. I would never have dreamed two years ago that I could get away with mixing from tracks by Holden and Gui Boratto to Silversun Pickups’ 'Lazy Eye', which is pure drone rock, into dubby minimalism like Substance & Vainqueur, then back into Fujiya and Miyagi."

But Freeland stresses the mix isn't eclectic just for the sake of it. "What excites me is to forge the links between rock, breaks, house, minimal, whatever and be like a clearinghouse for all that is innovative and fucking great in dance musicâ€. Here’s the tracklist that is causing the fuss in breaks purists circles:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=8664

AdamFreeland_Shine.jpg

GU 32 Review from Residentadviser.net

Breaks pioneer Adam Freeland mixes up rock, breaks, house and minimal on the latest Global Underground volume. 'GU 32: Mexico ' hits shelves in June.

Freeland has been championed as a breaks DJ since the mid-nineties, especially for his genre-pioneering 'Coastal Breaks' volumes and nu-skool mixes 'On Tour' and 'Tectonics'. But he's also been known to mix it up. 'Fabriclive 16' showed he was not averse to crossing breaks with hip-hop and electro while his debut album 'Now and Them' brought the genre to the mainstream by flirting with rock, vocals and rap.

His latest double CD compilation for Global Underground sees him moving another step away from the sound that earned him props: ‘GU 32: Mexico’ has a surprising tracklist, throwing minimal [My My, Cobblestone Jazz], dub techno [substance & Vainqueur] and French dance punk [Justice, Para One and K.I.M] into the mix. So what happened to the breaks, Adam? "The idea of breaks as a limited formulaic genre that has to sound a certain way to be considered righteous is the spirit of what I've always fought against, " Freeland told RA. "What I play is about attitude and sensibility rather than genre purism. The likes of Justice, Phones, SebastiAn and Evil Nine are the very spirit of breaks, and the finest that have existed date. Pure energy, raw punk attitude and high production value that first excited me about genre."

While CD1 concentrates on dance punk, CD2 sees Freeland moving further towards 4/4 as he cosies up to dub techno and even minimal house. "There are definitely more minimal and deeper moments on this CD than my last few mixes,†explains Freeland. “I think partly down to the fact that this is my first double mix CD in almost ten years, so I've really been able to spread my wings and indulge myself fully in whatever I wanted to do. So many boundaries have broken down now and there is so much incredible music out there. I would never have dreamed two years ago that I could get away with mixing from tracks by Holden and Gui Boratto to Silversun Pickups’ 'Lazy Eye', which is pure drone rock, into dubby minimalism like Substance & Vainqueur, then back into Fujiya and Miyagi."

But Freeland stresses the mix isn't eclectic just for the sake of it. "What excites me is to forge the links between rock, breaks, house, minimal, whatever and be like a clearinghouse for all that is innovative and fucking great in dance musicâ€. Here’s the tracklist that is causing the fuss in breaks purists circles:

:lol3::laugh2::laugh::rofl:

He said "fuss." :D

what a wicked party. i have been waiting to hear adam freeland for such a long time. and along side mr. bliss jon cowan. the man responsible for bringing so many talented acts of house music to miami for over a decade now. i can't wait to pick up this new release off off global underground. as my cd collecting days have continued. i will add this tasty number to my collection. i actually have an adam freeland cd off of marine parade. it's a classic.

jon, you are the man. should be a great night.

cheers,

abe

p.s. glad to hear that adam freeland has branched into the acid, techno, electro, and minimal genres and not just breaks as he was known before.

Tracklist.........adam freeland sure gets around!!!!!!!

CD1

1. Faze Action - In The Trees (Carl Craig Mix)

2. Revl9n - Walking Machine (Sebastian Remix)

3. Superdiscount - F***

4. KIM - Wet n Wild

5. Mr Oizo - Half An Edit

6. Adam Freeland - Silverlake Pills

7. KIM - By The Time They Reach You (Bagraiders Mix)

8. Jape - Floating - Alex Metric Mix

9. Beauty School - Disco Sux (Stone Lions Mix)

10. Oliver Huntemann - 37 Grad

11. Justice - Phantom

12. Minimal Compact - Deadly Weapons (Optimo Mix)

13. DJ Mehdi - Signatune (Thomas Bangaltier Mix)/Spank Rock - Bump (Switch Mix)

14. Phones - Sharpen The Knives

15. Trabant - The One (Para One Mix)

16. Kavinsky - Testarossa (SebastiAn Mix)

17. Evil Nine - Happy Ending

CD2

1. Spaceman 3 - Ecstacy Symphony

2. My My - Butterflies & Zebras

3. Lee Jones - There Comes A Time (Prins Thomas Mix)

4. Justus Kohncke - Advance

5. 120 days - Come Out

6. Gui Boratto -Terminal

7. Holden - Lump

8. Cobblestone Jazz - Dump Truck

9. Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye (Adam Freeland Re-edit)

10. Substance and Vainqueur - Immersion

11. Fujiya & Miyagi - Ankle Injuries (Adam Freeland Re-edit)

12. Andrew Weatherall - Feathers

13. B-Movie - Nowhere Girl (Adam Freeland Mix)

14. Mylo - Paris 400 (Aswefall Remix)

Adam Freeland tours North America and the UK in May and June in support of the album so keep an eye out for 'GU32' nights in your city.

May 11 Fabric, London

May 18 Shine, Miami

May 19 Ten14, St Louis

May 20 OJ, Toronto

May 22 Zinc, Orlando

May 24 Axis, Boston

May 25 Sky, Austin

May 26 Lizard Lounge, Dallas

May 27 Ultrabar, Washington

May 29 Coliseum, Albuquerque

May 31 Last Supper Club, Seattle

June 1 Mezzanine, San Francisco

June 2 Vanguard, Los Angeles

June 8 Fabric, London

June 9 Custard Factory, Birmingham

June 9 Technique, Leeds

June 13 Supercharged, Brighton

June 14 Dogma, Nottingham

June 15 The Plug, Sheffield

June 16 Watersplash, Jersey

June 21 The Priory, Cambridge

June 22 Glastonbury Festival, Somerset

June 24 White House, London

June 29 Cielo, New York

June 30 Vinyl, Denver

...i will add this tasty number to my collection...

Be sure to spread on some wasabe. For added enjoyment and better sound quality, use a sharp Exacto knife to make sure you cover every square millimeter of the CDs' surface.

For a warm treat, try putting this fresh gourmet dish in the microwave. :D

i remember the cd that i had from adam freeland. it was adam freeland "on tour". a single cd. very breaky. really good stuff. can't wait for this night. should be wicked. also glad to hear that global underground is bringing in some new artists to their series.

adam freeland's gu 032 mexico city was inspired by this set earlier this year. for all of you spanish speakers. here are some news items in mexico at the time of his set.

Cookie Presenta:

The recording of Global Underground 032

Adam Freeland - Mexico City

@

Continental

Friday January 19th, 2007

Nuestro evento en el sitio oficial de Glubal Underground www.globalunderground.co.uk/news.php

Adam Freeland Image 1 Image 2 Image 3 Image 4

Adam comenzó dentro del house, y en seguida consiguió hacerse un nombre al incluir elementos de hip hop y electro en sus sets. Después de poco tiempo se caracterizo’ por utilizar 3 tornamesas, samplers y cajas de efectos, logrando un nuevo sonido y su propia marca de breaks futuristas que nacen del Techno y el Drum’n Bass.

A los 24 años, Adam logró hacerse un hueco en el mundo de la música dance gracias a su gran talento y visión para escapar del breakbeat con fecha de caducidad. Habiendo debutado en la escena de clubs londinense en 1992, no fue hasta 1996, con su primer CD mezclado "Coastal Breaks", cuando consiguió el reconocimiento de la crítica, y comenzaría a pinchar por toda Inglaterra y en Estados Unidos. En 1997 Adam consiguió el respeto y el apoyo de otros artistas como Carl Cox, Chemical Brothers, Sasha o Andy Weatherall. Incluso llegó a tocar en varias de las fechas del tour de Carl Cox, "Fact 2". En aquella época creó, junto a Rennie Pilgrim y Tayo, el concepto "Friction", una fiesta que se desarrollaba en el Bar Rumba de Londres y que impresionaba a los que por primera vez se acercaban al sonido de los nu skool breaks.

A finales de año consiguió grabar su primer single con su amigo Kevin Beber bajo el pseudónimo Tsunami One, su hit “hiphop phenomenon†se convertiria en uno de los temas ineludibles de casi todas las pistas de baile. El éxito conseguido con Tsunami One le lleva a remezclar a gente como The Orb, DeeJay PunkRoc, The Headrillaz y Junior Boys. En 1998 Adam hace un tour por Australia junto a DJ Krush, Pressure Drop y Jose Padilla antes de volver a grabar un segundo recopilatorio de la colección Coastal Breaks para el sello React Records. "Coastal Breaks 2" conseguiría el premió a album del mes en distintas magazines y la crítica colocaría a Adam Freeland como el rey de los 'new skool breaks' que le llevaron a ser residente de muchos clubes alrededor de Europa.

En el 96 Adam creo’ su propio sello, Marine Parade, que toma el nombre de la calle de Brighton donde acabó mudándose. Su disquera es responsable de artistas como Evil 9, Ils, Beber amoungst y otros más. Poco tiempo después formaria su propia banda “Freeland†lanzando su primer album “Now and them†del cual se desprende el éxitoso “We want your soulâ€el cual envia un mensaje en contra de la cultura pop del planeta. Remixeo a Nirvana, Smells Like Freeland y a los White Stripes, Seven Nation Freeland, siendo de los bootlegs mas tocados y que marcaron una tendencia de Breaks/Rock cuando salieron a la venta.

Actualmente es uno de los Dj’s mas reconocidos del Reino Unido y también de los que mas tours tienen agendados; es actual residente del Club Fabric de Londres despues de grabar el Fabric Live 16. Adam Freeland tras más de 10 años de carrera en la escena mundial se presenta por primera vez en México y no es una visita ordinaria, Cookie Presenta se viste de gala y realiza la producción para el evento que marcara’ historia en la escena mexicana, la grabación del Global Underground 32 Mexico City mixed by Adam Freeland.

Global Underground es una serie de compilaciones que reflejan presentaciones de los Djs mas afamados en locaciones alrededor del planeta.

Esta serie es lanzada al mercado bajo el sello Boxed.

Desde su primer álbum en 1996 se vino una gran ola de éxitos para la serie. Aunque el genero dominante dentro de la serie es el Progressive house también se pueden encontrar compilaciones de trance, house y breakbeats.

Global Underground escoge las ciudades que mayor influencia han tenido para con la escena mundial, de esta manera se le da el reconocimiento al formar parte de la lista de ciudades preferidas por los Dj’s mas importantes del mundo quienes recorren año con año buscando una nueva ciudad preferida.

Pero Global Underground no solo mantiene la serie principal sino que también comenzó algunas sub-series como son:

- Nubreed: contiene a los talentos en ascenso, aunque también ha presentado artistas con mucha experiencia como Anthony Pappa y Satoshi Tommie.

- 24:7: es la serie que pide a los artistas presentar dos propuestas musicales contrastantes bajo el concepto de día y noche.

- Electric Calm: son compilaciones de Chill out

- Afterhours: compila música no necesariamente electrónica para después de la fiesta.

- Lights Out: es la serie llevada a cabo por Steve Lawler, en ella se encuentran los sonidos más obscuros de la pista hasta la luz que emite un Global Underground. Steve Lawler no solamente ha traído nuevos sonidos mediante esta compilación, sino que también ha impuesto nuevas formas nunca antes vistas en un cd mezclado en estudio.

- GU Music: se refiere al sello que rompe el esquema de albumes mezclados y presenta la musica de los más grandes exponentes del planeta en sus versiones originales y completas. En esta serie han presentado a artistas como Unkle, Lostep y Trafik.

what a great night friday night @ shine. feat sebastian c, diego a.k.a. conway, adam freeland and jon cowan.

sebastian i loved your set. nice mixing. i loved your track selection. u did a great job opening. i tried to say hello to you but each time i went to say hello. a massive mob of punters got in the way. i actually mistook someone else as being you and said "hey, hell of a set" and later on i find out it wasn't you. ooppss.

diego a.k.a. conway. i heard conway during wmc @ studio A. for tommie sunshine, mstrkrft, and princess superstar. what a great set by diego. his first track was sick. very haunting, minimal, and twisted. diego had the crowd bumpin. keep up the dirty, wicked, good work diego.

adam "fuckn" freeland. amazing and memorable set by freeland. so much energy. at one point the man was jumping up and down like a raving maniac.

his set was a mixture of electro, breaks, minimal, rock, and techno. i will always remember when he played "lovers not fighters" by evil nine. one crazy break track. sick. his mixing was like a knife. slicing through each track with so much ease and effortlessness. i really enjoyed the breaky part of his set. very different then what we are use to here in miami but yet so refreshing and new.

jon cowan. shortly before jon came on my boy decides to go to the restroom and never come back. so i call him and he tells me he is throwing up and feels like sh*t. so i had to dip the joint. i missed jon. yet again. hopefully i can hear jon play soon. he is a legend in miami and he's the man that makes all blissfull things happen.

cheers,

abe

what a great night friday night @ shine. feat sebastian c, diego a.k.a. conway, adam freeland and jon cowan.

sebastian i loved your set. nice mixing. i loved your track selection. u did a great job opening. i tried to say hello to you but each time i went to say hello. a massive mob of punters got in the way. i actually mistook someone else as being you and said "hey, hell of a set" and later on i find out it wasn't you. ooppss.

diego a.k.a. conway. i heard conway during wmc @ studio A. for tommie sunshine, mstrkrft, and princess superstar. what a great set by diego. his first track was sick. very haunting, minimal, and twisted. diego had the crowd bumpin. keep up the dirty, wicked, good work diego.

adam "fuckn" freeland. amazing and memorable set by freeland. so much energy. at one point the man was jumping up and down like a raving maniac.

his set was a mixture of electro, breaks, minimal, rock, and techno. i will always remember when he played "lovers not fighters" by evil nine. one crazy break track. sick. his mixing was like a knife. slicing through each track with so much ease and effortlessness. i really enjoyed the breaky part of his set. very different then what we are use to here in miami but yet so refreshing and new.

jon cowan. shortly before jon came on my boy decides to go to the restroom and never come back. so i call him and he tells me he is throwing up and feels like sh*t. so i had to dip the joint. i missed jon. yet again. hopefully i can hear jon play soon. he is a legend in miami and he's the man that makes all blissfull things happen.

cheers,

abe

I was there for about an hour and a half. After I made fun of some people, I left. :D

cheers,

abe

Nice review Abe, sorry I missed you

this one is for you Phil :beer:

CIMG7663.jpg

Speaking only for myself and as your friend, I think that was the worst set I've ever heard you spin. Especially considering it was a 10pm - 12am time slot. Sorry, but having seen your technical proficiency behind the decks on numerous previous occasions, I guess I have been spoiled. :D

Speaking only for myself and as your friend, I think that was the worst set I've ever heard you spin. Especially considering it was a 10pm - 12am time slot. Sorry, but having seen your technical proficiency behind the decks on numerous previous occasions, I guess I have been spoiled. :D

:blah:

i thought you rocked it seb.... next one my house?? this wknd or next?

sebastian c rocked on friday night. i didn't see you phillip. i heard samuel l session and claude von stroke in yo set!!!!

you'll have to excuse Phillip, he only listens to music made 5 years ago. He has no idea who or what you're talking about.

:flush: