Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Finding House music... avoiding hip-hop

stillrollin

I'm coming down with a bach party crew 9/20-23 and had planned on hooking up a table on the Pure Terrace for Fri night, but am maybe thinking we might want to try Jet instead. But I've never been so don't know what the vibe is like and what would be the better choice.

Also any suggestions for Thurs night? We're staying at the Palms and were probably going to stick with Moon/Ghost Bar even though it's mostly hip hop. Didn't think we had any house choices that night until afterhours.

For Friday it depends on what how you want to spend your 11p-3a hours. Kicking back, a table on the Pure terrace is great. Dancing like mad, go to Jet.

The terrace on Pure is absolutely fabulous for kicking back, enjoying the Vegas lights above you and some solid mid-tempo house beats, but it's limited if you really want to shake your thing. If you're planning on making it a big evening and getting your dance on at Drai's or Empire later, a good pre-party spot for a house lover. The sound system is a bit limited and there's not a dedicated dance floor (just an area in front of the DJ).

The house room at Jet is cozy but it's always a great time, especially if you get one of the corner tables by the DJ (worth the extra tip, trust me). Always a great crowd in there without being so packed that you can't do your thing on the dance floor.

For Thursday your best bet early (pre-2am) is VooDoo. If you want to stick at the Plams, Moon does feature house in their small side room many nights... but not always, so I'd recommend asking before you book a table or pay cover. The room itself is a bit of a disappointment given the time/expense that was put into the rest of the club (especially the sound), but hey, you'll at least be able to do get your house fix without leaving your hotel. And taking the occasional stroll down into the Playboy Club isn't the worst place to sip your drink, either.

Around 1-2am you can head over to Empire for Local Love, designed to "showcase" local house DJs. Crowd is up and down, sometimes it feels a bit dead, but you gotta give Empire props for an unbelievable sound system.

Not sure when the next Soundbar is rolling around, that's usually on Thursdays at Tabu. If it's happening next week, that would be a great option for Thursday night.

Hello All! Can anyone help me out with house clubs for this weekend 17AUG - 20AUG. Preferably Friday night. I heard something is up at Reson8. Any feed backs?

I stopped RESON8 in June... But starting this week BASSCAMP at Barcode...

THis friday is Jayrod, Mestizosix9, Metaphaze and more...

Sep 7 Future Sound of Breaks and Morningstar..

basscamp.jpg

• 2 months later...

Its about time someone has a main room house night on a saturday...it would be packed with the hottest girls in town, that much I am sure of. ;)

Hot girls packing the club=guys spending money=club owners are happy=patrons are happy because they finally get the REAL house they want. Seems simple to me..

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved here a couple months ago from NY... and I hate hip pop music...

So I usually check...

Mon. at JET

Wed. at Body English

Thurs. at Blush (wynn)

Fri and Sat afterhours at Empire Ballroom (check their website, sometimes they mix it up)

and look out for Revolution lounge at Mirage... they do house on Sun or Mon...

def. check out Mix, really great spot...

stay away from Pure and LAX, unless your with young girls....

and, check Drais if your crackin' out one night.

Also... afterhours at Seamless if you feel like pervin'.

Revolution is no longer open regularly on Sundays... but every Monday night is 100% house music for their weekly Cirque party. Wed-Sat they feature a mix of pretty much everything, which as they night wears on becomes primarily house. :)

Not sure if the Strip is ready for a major club to have a main room that is regularly house music on a Friday or Saturday. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it happen, but the plain truth is that at the moment the hip-hop/top-40 crowd is a much bigger money-maker in Vegas.

3400 @ Jet Mondays and BE Wednesdays are solid steps iin the right direction, but their successes are largely (arguably primarily) due to local support, many of them industry workers. And unfortunately 3400 is still regulated to a side room, while only on rare occasions does BE open the entire upper level on Wed.

Most unfortunate of all is that these are the only two marquee house events for prime-time (10a-4a) clubs.

Until we see 3400 move in to the main room, BE getting packed on Wednesdays and another marquee event come along, I think a regular main room Fri/Sat will remain a dream for quite a while.

In the meantime, when when I'm stuck in the main rooms of Jet/Pure/Tao (usually with friends who are afraid of house music) it's at least some consolation that house tracks are beginning to creep in amidst the popular hip-hop tracks...

• 1 month later...

I hope one club could host an all house night soon on the weekends, If nothing else it creates variety for something that is different, which makes people like me think seriously about attending Vegas some other time besides Billboard week. The New York Times just ran a big article this Sunday talking about the hard and fast fall of hip hop in the past year. Obviously it is so big at the moment that even a steep decline is going to keep it front and center for the time being. Hopefully though there are positive signs ahead for house music in clubs across America.