Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ - Please Read and Comment.....

Hey I Just finished writing this article for EQ magazine.... let me know what your opinions on this topic are.... (kinda long)

CD Vs. Vinyl – A Modern DJ’s Perspective

This passionate debate has become an every day discussion topic for dance music DJs the world over. Practically every hour I receive an email from someone asking if I prefer to mix with CDs or records. Well, that question isn’t easily answered. Lets take a look at the positives and negatives of each media.

Content

Your average, garden variety audio CD holds 74 minutes of music, give or take a few seconds. In "dancespeak" that’s about eight or nine tracks. There are also 80 minute CDs on the market for a slightly higher price. Duplication and creation are only as far away as your nearest computer, which is excellent for producers who want to "test" a track they are working on in a club before it’s ready for final pressing. Records are definitely not as easy to create as CDs, although companies like Vestax are currently developing consumer vinyl cutting machines. They are quite pricey however, as these machines will poke their heads over the $5,000 plateau. And, the finished product is actually more similar to an acetate disk than an actual plant-produced record, as it loses quality with each play.

ADVANTAGE CD

Sound Quality

CDs tend to have a crisp, digital sound that is often not an exact reproduction of what the producer intended the track to sound like. Vocals usually don’t sound as full on CD, and the highs inherent to many dance tracks are often "twangy" when played at substantial volume. I prefer the warm, full sound that only the union of a quality stylus and a well-pressed record can produce. But, not every stylus is quality, and not every record is well pressed. Still, when push comes to shove, I don’t think any DJ will dispute that records are definitely capable of sounding better.

ADVANTAGE VINYL

Size/Weight

My CD book holds 200 discs. That translates into about 1,600 tracks. If I wanted to carry around that amount of records, I’d definitely be stopping at the nearest U-Hall rental center on a regular basis. I like to go light, especially on out-of-state gigs that require air travel. There is nothing worse than lugging around four record cases when you’re actually going to play less than 5% of their contents. With CDs, you can bring practically every track you own to any gig, without breaking your back in the process.

ADVANTAGE CD

Reliability

Doesn’t it suck when you are in the middle of a perfect set and your most bangin’ track skips? It seems to ruin your whole flow. There are definitely ways to minimize the chance of this occurrence, but lets face it, it happens to us all every now and then. Which is more likely to skip, CD or vinyl? Through my personal experience, I’d say that its gotta be about even. But, it’s definitely easier to recover when a record skips. CDs can act pretty quirky, especially in older model players or if the disc is dirty. A CD skip will often grow into a larger problem; you never know how the player unit will react when a glitch is encountered, due to it’s digital nature. I have witnessed units pause or even shut themselves down on various occasions. With vinyl, if worst comes to worst and you get a repeating skip, you can simply lift the needle with your hand and place it after the skip. Obviously that won’t sound good, but at least you know that no new problems will breed from the original skip.

ADVANTAGE VINYL

Functionality

Recent technological advances have enabled manufacturers to present DJs with a multitude of user-friendly methods for the manipulation of compact discs. These include jog wheels, pitch bend, and digital brake effects. Many of today’s high-end dual CD players often house their own special effects as well. And, lately, manufacturers are hell-bent on creating a CD player that can accurately emulate the sound of a turntable scratch. They are getting close, but lets face it, rolling one finger back and forth on a jog wheel will never be the same as scratching up a storm on your trusted battle records. Also, I feel that pitch adjustments and beat mixing techniques work best when applied to the "wheels of steel" due to their large and interactive design. It just doesn’t feel natural when all the controls are layed out on one small panel. On the other hand, loop functions, timers, and auto start syncs aren’t available on turntables.

DRAW

Coolness Factor

This is definitely where vinyl takes the cake. When young kids dream about becoming the next Junior Vasquez, do you think they envision a stack of CDs? I think not. Djing has been viewed as "cool" and is socially accepted by the younger generation due to the whole mystic that records have propagated. Underground record stores have even become hangouts for the hip and ultra-trendy. Records tend to symbolize the whole DJ and dance music culture. What do CDs symbolize?

ADVANTAGE VINYL

Ok, well there you have it. By my calculations, CDs have been defeated by a score of three to two. Who knows, maybe I’ll be singing a different tune a few years down the line, but for now, I’m more comfortable using records in the mix.

------------------

"Losers try. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

Good Article - Me personally I love the feel of Vinyl. CD's in my Denon are just pressing buttons I hate that. Part of DJ'ing is feel the music mental and physically. CD's just take that away you can't touch what you're about to play. I'm gonna cry if vinyl ever goes away. I'll carry crates of records to the club and be happy doing it. smile.gif

------------------

It's all in the music

Great article, Russ,

I agree, i feel more comfortable mixing vinyl opposed to CDs, as well. But there's the fact that CDs are digital and once that beat sticks it sticks, no constant manipulation w/ the record ... But records are far more respected and credible, CDs are just cheaper & more reliant ...

I use both when i work,

but i really only can get open when i'm spinning that wax ...

VINYL IS THE ANSWER wink.gif

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

Russ, I also have an advantage I find when using Vinyl- which I prefer- When organizing my music I find it much easier to take a 12" single out of the crate and out of rotation to replace it with a new one. With cds you end up carrying around a lot of cds with 1 or 2 tracks out of 8 or 9 that you are using, unless you have the time and patience to constantly re-compile and -re-burn your cd collection- And finally it is easier to locate the vinyl than a cd- especially if it is something you burned a while back- I know guys that have great filing systems and still can't find something on cd when they want it- usually not an issue with vinyl- so if you agree- I believe that is 2 more points for Vinyl and puts Vinyl ahead by one-Just my opinion.

Marshall Fairbanks- DJ

i think the "coolness factor" is very important since most dance music is made by djs for djs. bc most DJs learned their skills with vinyl, they will continue to press vinyl over CDs. i don't think u mentioned it, but vinyl wins over cds in the ready availabilty to the average dj of tracks on 12" vinyl rather than CD-single.

btw, good article!

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 08-24-2000).]

Hey - thanks for the comments... some good points.... I should have posted this before I handed it in to my editor....

As for me, I actually play prob 60% CD and 40% vinyl, but thats only cause i cant get the unreleased stuff on vinyl till it's out.. I def rather the feel of vinyl....

& pulse you got a point about vinyl being easier to find... god damn looking throught that whole CD book for 1 track lol

------------------

***My mind on your topic: Russ

***Vinyl is to dance music as the guitar is to rock.

People want to "see" something going on.

CDs tend to have a crisp, digital sound that is often not an exact reproduction of what the producer intended the track to sound like.

***In the studio the producer hears what he hears (full range)then an engineer re-masters the audio to alot for vinyls frequency limitations.

I prefer the warm, full sound that only the union of a record can produce. I don’t think any DJ will dispute that records are definitely capable of sounding better.

***"Vinyl sound can easily be created from any input source, I've been trying to get Denon and Pioneer to include such a feature.

For the most part its limiting the freq range, adding "rumble", and random "sweet noise".

Reliability/Skips

*** my biggest problem, ie: just went to Greece, my CD's wouldn't play, and they were mastered correctly!

Coolness Factor

This is definitely where vinyl takes the cake. Djing has been viewed as "cool" and is socially accepted by the younger generation

***I believe the Urban/Hip Hop genre is the sole reason for vinly keeping it's place.

***CD's will slowly replace most vinyl.

Regardless of my preference which I tried to keep out of this post.

Apotheosis

I often hear that cds are easier than vinyl, I think it's true with cd players with instant play and a good cue point (like the pioneer). It's even more true with cd players with automatic beatmatch (I don't have one of those) but if you play some of this old disco tracks where the beat is not constant, I find it easier to use the 1200's to beatmatch and ride the beat (most of the time I fuck the mix up with constant beat anyway smile.gif)

Beatmatching: for modern dance music, cd is better, for older tracks, vinyl is better.

CD would have a better sound with the same warmness as vinyl if the manufacturers took care of the DAC (digital to analogic converter)

Digital vs analogic: compare Twilo sound system when Junior's boot is used (all digital) to when the other boot is used (analogic + digital)

Also those middle-end and high-end audiophile cd players have a warmer sound than vinyl! (Unless you talk about the crchtchxsssh sound from the vinyl)

I think digital can be better than analogic but you have to put the price. (I think none of the cd dj tables match the sound quality of a good cartridge but they will eventually)

That was my $0.000002

Plur,

Joël S.

[This message has been edited by JoelS (edited 08-24-2000).]

I think something a lot of people overlook is the fact that you can see the nuance of a track on a record.

1. When I'm picking which cut to play on a vinyl disc, I don't look at the label and names (if there are any), I look at the tracks on the disc. I can see which one I want to play that way (often I remember the patterns).

2. You can zone into a particular part of a track much faster as well it's very easy to see breakdowns and the like on the record. I find this very usefull for timing bass drops and other things.

For me, playing cd's is like playing blindfolded.

I think for ultimate versatility in mixing LP's win out. And that's what dj'ing is about right? Anybody can go up there and be a juke box, but it's the stand out dj who adds his own personality to the music. I think it's easier to do that with vinyl. All the power to the CD dj who can do that as well, anyone ever see dj Iain?

good article

------------------

keep it cutlary "]http://www.spoonyd.iwarp.com

[This message has been edited by spoonyd (edited 08-24-2000).]

Oh how I long for a decent paying gig, just so I can spin vinyl again.

Talk about expensive. In this area, I have to drive 2 hours to see vinyl, and 6 hours to get the good stuff. Not that it stops me, mind you, it's just damned expensive vinyl.

Then, when I get there, I still wanna buy the single track, $24 import just because of how friggin' thick the wax is.

I much prefer to dj on vinyl, but I'm stuck with CD for now. Granted, CD on the new Denon 26's, so it's pretty damned sweet, but it's still CD.

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the music makers,

and we are the dreamers of dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True, it's easier to get to certain sections in a track on vinyl, you just have to move the needle... each media def has it's advantages.....

And I don't know if it's just me, you guys might think Im crazy, but I love the smell of a new record .....lol

------------------

Russ....

I think the ONLY reason I'd play a CD is because it is something unreleased or something I did that isnt pressed yet, etc... it is better than pressing acetates... I am definitely much more into vinyl. I always have been and always will be.

On the other hand... I think that is one of todays biggest problems... TOO many people can get their hands on the unreleased stuff now, turn it into MP3's, trade it etc... So now it is much tougher for a DJ to have any "secret weapons"... as opposed to a few years ago.. when I might play something on DAT, and know that no one else had it etc...

and since the average person didnt have a DAT player... I wouldnt have to worry about someone bootlegging it, or putting it out all over....

It used to be that only a few key DJs would get certain unreleased stuff... and that was one of the things that could keep them a step ahead... but I'm finding that much more rare nowadays with the ease of CD duplication.

Agree or Disagree?

Corbett

Corbett - totally agree......couldn't agree more..... in this age of Napster and computer burners, its just to easy for peeps to get unreleased stuff.... things are "old" before they are even released.....Producers have to be so careful now, one leak can ruin a record.... it sucks though cause even those of us who don't give anything out at all and are trusted are sometimes getting cut off in the process frown.gif (From the unreleased jams)

Thre is only one solution I guess... For instance when I finish the track im currently doing, im only gonna give it to ONE person, that way they wil lknow they are the only person who has it and won't give it out....

everyone else will have to wait for test press frown.gif

------------------

Originally posted by spoonyd:

I think something a lot of people overlook is the fact that you can see the nuance of a track on a record.

1. When I'm picking which cut to play on a vinyl disc, I don't look at the label and names (if there are any), I look at the tracks on the disc. I can see which one I want to play that way (often I remember the patterns).

2. You can zone into a particular part of a track much faster as well it's very easy to see breakdowns and the like on the record. I find this very usefull for timing bass drops and other things.

For me, playing cd's is like playing blindfolded.

I think for ultimate versatility in mixing LP's win out. And that's what dj'ing is about right? Anybody can go up there and be a juke box, but it's the stand out dj who adds his own personality to the music. I think it's easier to do that with vinyl. All the power to the CD dj who can do that as well, anyone ever see dj Iain?

good article

oh, we're all SOOOOOO impressed Mr. superstar DJ

Great article Russ.

I agree with yo on all points. I just recently started using CD's but I still don't feel comfortable with them. I have been getting a lot of stuff on CD lately and I couldn't ignore it anymore.

Also, I agree with Corbett too. The caliber of tracks availible has leveled the playing field a lot. Even if you look @ the track listings for mixed comps by the Big Guns, the tracks are availible a lot sooner than they used to be. Point in case, the new Dave Seaman, last one it took months to see a lot of those on the shelves, but it came out a week ago and so did most of the material. I know that with the market the way it is, they use celebrity tracklists to leverage sales but couple that with current technologies, the secret weapon club is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Anyway enough rambling, good article again Russ.

parish

The only problem I have with CD's is the low level frequencies not being as "warm" as Vinyl, and obviously the feel...but again it's all about being a step ahead and it's the only way now since it's all being done on cd before vinyl, even though like everyone mentioned there is no real step ahead since most of this music is easily accessed by a lot of people...2600F baby smile.gif love that toy...makes cd's that much more fun...

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com