Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What makes a good track?

Well I don't think we can just say Funky or soulful.. I mean a funky baseline doesn't guarantee greatness.

He is a thought...

Is it the notes or the spaces in-between?

Funk is not necessarily the notes that make something funky it the timing.

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 08-29-2000).]

A lot of stuff PVD features is around 8 years old...and he's taken major criticism from the likes of laurent garnier about it...8 years old pretty long time, as for me i go in and out of liking trance, year here year there, otherwise i'd get bored of it...

mac

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

it.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

I find this point interesting, and my point is NOT about trance, but about music in general:

[qoute]

I never have, i have just put forward the fact that all the pioneers of trance are distancing themselves from it (PvD, BT, Sasha have all said on the record they want out because 90% what is made is throw-away).

Didn't want to go here but...

Your right absolutely, every style of music has good and bad... it's a given.

But a scene has to move or it will die, the 20 year cycle is a great example.

As soon as something stagnates, people get board no mater how good the quality is. People get board they move on, then a few years later (or a few decades) they re-discover it and love it again.. it's the songs that live on in this re-discovery period that will always live on.

It happened to house, it happened to techno, it happened to disco, it happened with garage, it's always happening with rock music...

and it will (and some will say is) happening to trance.

okay,

perhaps if we started narrowing down what makes a good track by looking at the tracks that seem to have been universally accepted as good and seeing what they have in common.

Here's one: They are distinctive. They fit in a style but still have something that stands out and sticks in your mind. The infamous HOOK. Every good song has one.

next?

------------------

keep it cutlary

www.spoonyd.iwarp.com

good producer + good engineer does not equal a good song...Anthony Acid may be one of the best engineers in the nyc area, but hasn't exactly produced great tracks to say the least...Quite often a producer and engineer may have different ideas about how something should sound...or an engineer can't always do what the producer wants...or the producer doesn't know enough to know what he wants in his sounds...Equipment is key because although you can make a slamming track with just about any Equipment, you don't want to use sounds that have already been beaten to death by other producers, example the ny hard house scene, why it's become so boring...you need good/new equipment to stay on the cutting edge as far as new sounds go...

------------------

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one." Louis Armstrong

it.gif

FeelTheseBeats@aol.com

That's such a hard question! You would think it would be easy but it's not. I mean I've loved tracks with or without vocals. I've stated that I'm a die hard trance head and yet at times love the feeling of a hard and dark house or d&b or jungle even. Hmmmm . . . I guess (TO ME) what would NOT make a good track is repetition. When I hear the same 2/3 beats over and over and over again as-green.gif it just makes me dizzy after a while.

BlueAngel

------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

- Robert Frost angel.gif

Originally posted by ILL HOUSE YOU:

good producer + good engineer does not equal a good song...Anthony Acid may be one of the best engineers in the nyc area, but hasn't exactly produced great tracks to say the least...Quite often a producer and engineer may have different ideas about how something should sound...or an engineer can't always do what the producer wants...or the producer doesn't know enough to know what he wants in his sounds...Equipment is key because although you can make a slamming track with just about any Equipment, you don't want to use sounds that have already been beaten to death by other producers, example the ny hard house scene, why it's become so boring...you need good/new equipment to stay on the cutting edge as far as new sounds go...

For instance, Mac wants some rumbling noisesand those high DADADADA DADAD DADA and everything to sound like a Thunderpuss 2000 remix, and I want to make an actual song.

HEHE

I know Ima getting a smack for that one

- Pete

------------------

------------------------

darker.gif

Ok so lots of people think dance music is easy to make... I mean it's just maths at the end of the day.. bang down you bass drum, add high hat and snare, bass line, some strings and a melody.. easy!

Well obviously it's not, Techno is a great example it's the easiest music to copy but it's the subtleties that make a song great.

I used to love songs, with vocals with a meaning in clubs... songs like "I know a place", "There but for the grace of god" etc. But although I love big women singing about love it's not all there is to it.

Tracks like French Kiss, La Luna, higher state of consciousness, have very few of no vocals but are some of the biggest tunes of all time.

Emotive songs may only work for you at that time of your life, this is why some people say fluffy trance wont live.

If were easy to pinpoint there would be producers cleaning up, A&R men getting it right all the time etc... so it's not. It's not what's makes a good track now that I am asking, it's what makes a track live on.

So what is it FOR YOU?

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

top.gif

Do you consider "Skydive" to be fluffy Trance? I think it's a perfect example of how a track can live on. It's hot back in after being broken by Oakenfold two years ago. Anthony Pappa is a genius.

-Tracy

[This message has been edited by tracyshuron (edited 08-29-2000).]

Tracy, 2 years?

When it's around in 10 we will talk about it.

I am not dissing trance at all some tunes will live on.

I never have, i have just put forward the fact that all the pioneers of trance are distancing themselves from it (PvD, BT, Sasha have all said on the record they want out because 90% what is made is throw-away).

Lets not have this turn into a trance thing.

For me it's the originality. Pick most of the early songs by Prodigy - say Out of Space. Produced back in early 90's I think it's one of the best techno songs ever released. If someone showed me the instruments in that song each by itself - I'd say there is no way to put a good songs out of it. But somehow they put it together so well that I still love it after listening to it a zillion times.

------------------

May be one day I'll be an honest man... Up till now I do the best I can.

Hmmm, good question. I think its hard to pinpoint exactly all the elements that make a good track.

Sometimes its just the vocals for me. Other times it's that funky bassline. What I call good, someone else might think crap.

I have to really think about this and get back to this...