Clubplanet Nightlife Community

back from vegas! (or report from a convention)

weyes

wow, what an insane trip! i haven't slept at home since july 23rd 'cause i went straight from my vacation w/ my mom to the airport for my union's convention in vegas. i can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight; this insomniac plans to have no trouble sleeping this evening grab_3.gif .

my convention was full of surprises. my district sent 5 people besides me, and all disagreed w/ me on 2 of the 7 resolutions on which we voted. the one that meant the most to me, one taking a stand as a union representing over 227,000 state employees sending a message to our gov't that we oppose the war in iraq, was voted to not even be discussed :jawdrop: . i had even written a short speech in favor of it when i learned that the union's own legislative committee was opposed to it. our conference was opened w/ a "tribute to the military," and then a crazy majority of people voted to not give the resolution a chance. this hypocrisy baffled me. i was livid; it was undemocratic. it meant that not only i wasn't, but the people in my office who asked me to vote for it weren't heard.

my co-delegates all won big on the slots, and 1 of them won a raffle of $1500. i just lost $180. guys hit on my 60-something female cohorts and my 300-something lb. grumpy male fellow delegate is engaged while i remain painfully single and poor.

we were so tired after every day's events and the hilton is off the strip, so we didn't go anywhere off the convention's grounds. that was a bummer.

john garamendi, the democratic lt. governor, made a speech announcing his candidacy for governor in 2010. many speeches were made endorsing obama as the indisputable pro-education candidate, which frustrated my 2 republican (what :confused: ???) co-delegates. go figure.

i want to bring a resolution to the floor next year banning the ability to vote down the discussion of one. i was just an alternate delegate, though, & got to go 'cause someone else couldn't, so i probably won't get to go back. i can still write it, but i wouldn't be able to fight for it @ the convention, and that's important to me.

overall, i'm frustrated and i feel like i was ineffective and ignored. i don't even know if i would even want to go back. i guess i just need to sleep on it... and sleep.

Edited by weyes