Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 11/5/08

weyes

wow - what an election! this has had me a nervous wreck for a while and i'm glad it's over. i'm not happy with a lot of the propositions' results, but nothing is ever set in stone. i wish i had posted today's column earlier, though i wish i had followed this advice myself even sooner than this.

elections bring out the best, worst, and the CRAZY in people. i, personally, had no idea that the people with whom i work are so ignorant, and by "ignorant" i really mean mostly uneducated, in most cases. healthy debate can be interesting and sometimes educational, but here are a few statements that the person with whom one is engaged in political debate may make that are good indications that one might want to stop said conversation, and immediately, because it will go nowhere:

- "why vote?/who cares?/it doesn't matter? there is no difference between the candidates, anyway."

- "it's a slippery slope."

- "well, I heard somewhere that..."

- "if we let [pretty much anything even slightly progressive] happen, then [enter ridiculous scenario] will be next."

- "the bible says..."

- "it's been that way since the beginning of time."

i'd like to conclude today's column with the comment that, as an employee of an institution of higher learning and someone who is therefore surrounded by "our future" on a daily basis, i'm very frightened :shake: .

tune in tomorrow.