Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 12/17/08

weyes

as a school employee, i love taking advantage of the library on campus. it's cheaper than buying books and more convenient than going to the public library. unfortunately, our library has a few rules that don't make sense: during student vacations (i.e. spring break) and between semesters they don't allow anyone - including employees - to check out books. that means that, the week before a vacation starts or end of semester comes, no books are checked out and all that are already checked out are suddenly due. i used to just ignore that and keep whatever books i had out, then pay whatever fines accrued. but after last time, when the fines were raised, it occured to me: at those rates, i might as well have bought the frikkin' books.

people who don't use libraries often may think that fines are reasonable or are what they were when we were children. my school's library, though, now charges 50 cents/day per book, and that adds up fast, especially when they charge for days that they're not even open (which, i hear, is not every library's policy!). coming back to school and owing $11 once was a math - and common sense - lesson i did not appreciate :unhappy: .

tune in tomorrow.