Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Producing techno

Yeh like Kove says a 505,303 or 307 (by Roland) is a good place to start.

Then maybe add a good quality sampler and Pro Tools or some other sequencer.

I would recomend the 505 though it has some great tools for when you playing live that the other 2 dont have. If your a DJ maybe go for the 307 as it has a slider pitch control so you can mix in and out of the MC307.

I am currently seeting up a studio so if you want any info (as i have done loads of reasearch) let me know.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

It's not just about the notes played, it's about the spaces in-between.

top.gif

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 07-18-2000).]

Ok start off with a MC505 you can run samplers etc off it as it has full midi.

The 505 is a cross between a 909 & a 303 (standard techno & house drum kit and effects units). It has some pretty good sound in it. You will be looking at $700-$1000 (depending on if it is second hand).

That will give you a good start (some comercial track have been made with a 505 and nothing else, higher state of consiones by Josh Wink (i think!)). But if your serious you will need good sampler.. dont try to save money on this get the best you can afford. Having said that, you should be able to get a good one for $1200-2000. Emu are the best samplers to get.

As somebody else has said Ebay is a good source they have second hand 505's and samplers... just make sure you get manuals.

After that it's all extra's Cubase/ PC, effects units, mixing desk.... but for techno you will be able to get some good sound out of the 505 and a sampler.

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 07-18-2000).]