Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 9/16/09

weyes

there are a lot of things on which religious people and atheists will never see eye-to-eye. there is a phrase that's often said, though, that doesn't make sense, and needs some examination.

what christians refer to as "being a good christian," is what everyone else refers to as being a decent human being. why is it important to eliminate this phrase from everyday life, to make it unacceptable? because it's discriminatory and insulting to all non-christians, not just to non-religious people. the "christian thing to do," interestingly enough, is never about anything religious; people have come to use it as a synonym for doing something nice, neighborly, responsible, or sensible. it's just a phrase christians use to exercise pride in their religion, which is absolutely fine. being proud of one's faith is great, but not when at the cost of putting everyone else's belief systems down.

so we should all stop talking around the issues and say what we mean. how about 2 different statements, like, "i did a good deed today," and "i'm proud of my religion." it's more honest, and less destructive.

tune in tomorrow.