Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Advice for the WMC?

Guest trancemonkey

Guest trancemonkey

Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for the WMC. My friend is a DJ who mixes high energy trance, break beats, and prog house and he is incredible. He is not a producer but really wants to get his name known out there for DJing. We were thinking of going to the WMC, but we do not know exactly how well it will help us out. (We want to be sure because it IS $225 now).Should we go and maybe try to mingle and hand out CDs or just skip the actual conference, attend the parties at night, and try to hand out his CDs on his own time to clubs in general? Also, we were thinking of signing up for the DJ spin off during the conference, but we are not sure exactly how it is or if it is also worth it. `(He has not participated in any DJ contest, so we are not sure if the one in the WMC is only mixing for 5 minutes or for longer or exactly what you have to do to do good.) Any advice would be appreciated, since we have always attended the parties and clubs during the WMC, but not the actual conference. He is very good and has been mixing for many years. Is the WMC a good way to meet people in the industry or locals in general that can help us out?

Thanks!!! ;)

The conference is the place to meet "the" people,

I would say the spin off contest is for battle djs, 5 minutes is not enough time to mix a house set ...

about passing cds around, you will be just one of the so many; but if you say your friend is so good at deejaying, just have a little confidence and register for the seminars ...

[glow=red,2,300]Advice:

1) Pick a genre (high energy trance, break beats, and prog house)  :o

2) If he is a producer by all means hand out his work to various DJs. People get tracks signed at WMC all the time.  ;D

3) If he is just djing and trying to get gigs. Bad place to pimp brotha! Personally I use most DJ mix cds I am given at WMC as drink coasters.   :-X

Good luck and prepare yourself. There are 4000 DJs with Mix CDs hoping to be the  next whatever. And if they don't have original tracks it's really pointless to give it to any reputable DJ. [/glow]

I always suggest that aspiring producers and DJs go to these events... no matter how much or little experience they have. The old addage that says "hang around those you would like to be like" applies. And if you don't wanna be like these people, "know thy enemy" applies as well.

The amount of networking that I'm able to get done during the conference and at bars/events is extremely valuable and I credit those opportunities in part to what has landed me where I am today.

If anything, DJs, producers, promoters, and party folk can find a second home among kindrid spirits... and let's admit it, we need as many people to register and attend these events so that they don't end up where Gavin, R&R, and Billboard are: dead or dying.

;D

Corey

[glow=red,2,300]Ok I was told I need to be more inviting to this newjack.

So to quote Danny Tenaglia:

I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE GOING TO MIAMI THIS YEAR RESPECTS AND REALIZES WHY WE ARE ALL DOWN THERE AND ATTENDS THE ACTUAL "WINTER MUSIC CONFERENCE." - REGISTER! - GET A BADGE! - SUPPORT THE CAUSE! - GO TO THE SEMINARS! - GET INVOLVED! - REALIZE THAT IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT GOING THERE AND PARTYING EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!

THAT IS NOT WHAT THE WINTER MUSIC "CONFERENCE" IS..... THE WMC IS ABOUT US GATHERING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND TO (now more than ever) PUT OUR HEADS TOGETHER AND FIGURE OUT A WAY TO KEEP DANCE MUSIC, (all categories) ALIVE AND WELL AND TO HELP STOP MORE LABELS FROM CLOSING THEIR DOORS.

This year's WMC will be at the Wyndham Hotel & NOT @ the Convention Center!

Register in advance to avoid the walk up fees. I too will partake in the actual conference this year, and so should YOU!

;D[/glow]

Guest vanbuurenfan
Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for the WMC. My friend is a DJ who mixes high energy trance, break beats, and prog house and he is incredible. He is not a producer but really wants to get his name known out there for DJing. We were thinking of going to the WMC, but we do not know exactly how well it will help us out. (We want to be sure because it IS $225 now).Should we go and maybe try to mingle and hand out CDs or just skip the actual conference, attend the parties at night, and try to hand out his CDs on his own time to clubs in general? Also, we were thinking of signing up for the DJ spin off during the conference, but we are not sure exactly how it is or if it is also worth it. `(He has not participated in any DJ contest, so we are not sure if the one in the WMC is only mixing for 5 minutes or for longer or exactly what you have to do to do good.) Any advice would be appreciated, since we have always attended the parties and clubs during the WMC, but not the actual conference. He is very good and has been mixing for many years. Is the WMC a good way to meet people in the industry or locals in general that can help us out?

Thanks!!! ;)

now dont take this the wrong way or anything ;D but.....

u say YOUR FRIEND is an incredible dj, so whats with all this WE WE WE? we are going to WMC, we are handing out demos, we are signing on for the dj spin off???? are you a dj as well or just riding along on the coat tails as "manager" ;D

Guest trancemonkey

Noooooo vanbuurenfan :P

I am not a DJ or any manager. :)

I want to help my friend out and keep him company. Why go alone to the WMC? 8)

Guest vanbuurenfan
Noooooo vanbuurenfan  :P

I am not a DJ or any manager. :)

I want to help my friend out and keep him company. Why go alone to the WMC? 8)

;Djust messin with ya

Guest ogmiami

My advice is.....

If you run into Aurelia while in Miami for WMC, RUN LIKE HELL!! Don't listen to her. She's a jaded New Yorker. Make those copies and bring them to Miami. I'll give it a listen.

See Lanie, that's how we welcome people to Miami.

Guest RingmasterCrew

hit up the hotel pools by day.. you make a ton of contacts there.. and its a nice laid back quiet (relative to the nightlife) place to actually pick up pointers from big names in the industry. youll find an amazing array of top notch performers just kicking back if you look around.

Guest trancemonkey
My advice is.....

If you run into Aurelia while in Miami for WMC, RUN LIKE HELL!!  Don't listen to her.  She's a jaded New Yorker.  Make those copies and bring them to Miami.  I'll give it a listen.

See Lanie, that's how we welcome people to Miami.

Hey thanks! I'll keep that in mind! ;D

We are from Miami. How can we meet you to give you a copy and how do we get in touch with Lanie?

We already booked a hotel room for the WMC and are VERY excited!!! ::)

Guest ogmiami
[glow=red,2,300] Don't mind Dade he has been hurt by women a lot in his life.  :'(

He can't believe there is a honest one amongst him.  :o In my case it's just brutal and honest.

If you want to get in touch with me click the little email button and type away.  [/glow]

Exactly why I issued the warning.....so women like you don't go around hurting good guys. I think I'm going to book Trancemonkey to play in your hotel room.

Guest trancemonkey

Exactly why I issued the warning.....so women like you don't go around hurting good guys.  I think I'm going to book Trancemonkey to play in your hotel room.

Whenever you want! ;D

Guest ogmiami

Lainie - I can't believe you outed me as a republican. You know the old saying...a republican is only a democrat who made a few bucks and wants to keep it.