Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sonar in Hollywood - FL

Guest vipnerd

Guest vipnerd

New club opening early October ... a music oriented club with a very nice setting ...

If any of you guys live in the Aventura to Lauderdale area ... check it out ... I'll keep yo guys posted ... ;)

Guest digital7

I'd say an impeccable DJ referece would be spinning for over 10 years, here and abroad for the likes of Fabric, Ministry of Sound, Pacha, DC-10, Arc, and Zouk.. but hey.. who am I?

:-*

Guest pod

Well, no one who plays at DC-10, Arc, etc is going to play at some venue in Lauderdale when there's plenty of top venues in Miami close by willing to take them, so I'd say this Sonar place is probably right up Hydra's alley...it'll be a good place to hear un-noticed locals.

Guest digital7

ahh.. that it would...

I wish Hydra nothing but the best of luck.. hope he pulls out the gig. It def. sounds like a kool place.

I was just merely making an example of an impeccable DJ reference in my opinion.

Guest saintjohn
it'll be a good place to hear un-noticed locals.

the sonar person with whom i spoke is looking for "a dj with a following." i understand that the nightclub business is a business, but attempting to buy a customer base by hiring a popular local dj seems short-sighted. i don't fault club owners for trying to jump-start their ventures by bringing in "name" talent, but a venue with a 200 person capacity in downtown hollywood (not fort lauderdale) doesn't have to compete with space 34. if you can't fill that room three nights a week even with a no-name dj, something is seriously wrong with your club, your staff, your promoters, your location, or all of the above. i'd like to believe that downtown hollywood is ready for a quality club, but it's still a gamble. unfortunately, i don't think any particular dj's name on some uv-coated cards is going to make much a difference in the long run. sonar's fate will be determined by other factors, most of which they can control. i wish them well.

Guest vipnerd

the sonar person with whom i spoke is looking for "a dj with a following."  i understand that the nightclub business is a business, but attempting to buy a customer base by hiring a popular local dj seems short-sighted.  i don't fault club owners for trying to jump-start their ventures by bringing in "name" talent, but a venue with a 200 person capacity in downtown hollywood (not fort lauderdale) doesn't have to compete with space 34.  if you can't fill that room three nights a week even with a no-name dj, something is seriously wrong with your club, your staff, your promoters, your location, or all of the above.  i'd like to believe that downtown hollywood is ready for a quality club, but it's still a gamble.  unfortunately, i don't think any particular dj's name on some uv-coated cards is going to make much a difference in the long run.  sonar's fate will be determined by other factors, most of which they can control.  i wish them well.

true 8)

Guest Adam Singer

there are currently no good electronica clubs in hollywood fl, id say the market is wide open and id def be able to bring in peepz with me...but alas, ive been offered a residency elsewhere :)

Guest Adam Singer

its not for certain yet but ive been talking to some people at a definitive florida venue...they've booked Jabiela, Howells, Cusick, Three, and many others just to name a few ;)

more info when I am sure I'm going to be in there!

I live in Aventura, would love to see a club in the hood w/ some electronica, trance, breakbeat... although it will never have the same vibe as Mia downtown or Sobe, but hey, let us know who will be playing and I'll give any club a try once, keep me coming back is the trick... good luck to Sonar!

Katia

Garfield.....

Amen to that. Garfield has a following that I didn't know was possible for DJ. I was a Garfield junkie and saw the same group of people every time he played. I didn't know many by name but that was the closest I've ever been to feeling like a part of a tribe.

Guest vipnerd
I live in Aventura, would love to see a club in the hood w/ some electronica, trance, breakbeat... although it will never have the same vibe as Mia downtown or Sobe, but hey,  let us know who will be playing and I'll give any club a try once,  keep me coming back is the trick... good luck to Sonar!

Katia

All I can tell you is ... it will have better music and residents than 95% of the rest of Miami & Ft. Lauderdale clubs ...

Be ready for something serious ... ;)

Guest coach

Yeah, we're working on throwing a "locals night" shindig with them. They are looking for a more upscale crowd, so I'm still not sure that a locals night will work out for them, but they seemed really interested when we suggested it. Probably in early October. If it does work out, we'd like to make it monthly or even weekly. Something to showcase up and coming SoFla talent. We'll see.

Guest saintjohn

aside from gemini (a latin club on the southwest corner of dixie highway and hollywood boulevard), downtown hollywood doesn't have any nightclubs at the moment.

there used to be a place called deco drive (on harrison street just east of dixie highway) - the owners spent a lot of money on advertising the club's name, but not enough on specific promotions - it's been closed for some time now. there was also mankind (a gay club on dixie north of hollywood boulevard) - the absentee owners poured a fortune into the place and then hired a, uhm, "very bad person" to look after their investment - it's closed, too.

sonar (one block east of dixie highway on hollywood boulevard) is currently under construction - incomplete drywall, electric, et cetera - but the owners say they'll be open in a month. hmmm. zombie (one block east of sonar) is an empty shell of a building at the moment. i've seen workers going in and out, but, given the present rate of progress, i doubt the space will be open before january, despite the "coming in 2003" signage out front.

too much downtown hollywood information, i know . . .