Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The saleen clubland report..........

V. Barbarino

1. Hex did move here murk vs Hex vocals??? god i hope so....... Vocals = chicks, and i'll be there..

2. Maze is for sale... I did hear rumors, but now just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many people keep telling me this... So once i get like 5 independent sources, i post it, so keep your panties on...

3. Space is really pissed at the high prices of djs, thus why i see some shitty lineups, yet guys who never play down here... multiple sources on this one again, so dont' be crying i posted it.

4. 3 big potential parties are comming... big as in, inovative... wink wink

Guest nickjunkie

re the Space thing - I don't think they're the only ones pissed at the high prices. Most venues have issues with some of the crazy fees around.

Guest digital7

aye.. prices have been quite ridiculous for some time now.. Ive heard numerous complaints from promoters with that same gripe.. shit's been out out of hand

re the Space thing - I don't think they're the only ones pissed at the high prices. Most venues have issues with some of the crazy fees around.

yea but it affects space more than anyone else

and i hear okie was 40- 45k for his two nights....!!!

that is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nickjunkie

yea but it affects space more than anyone else

and i hear okie was 40- 45k for his two nights....!!!

that is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe a little more. Not much change from $100k for 2 oakie filled nights.

That's why 18+ is a wise move for one of em.

Guest pod

Don't forget to tack on

- A certain ego-tripping crew purchased the old Living Room Dowtown building and plans to make it into a pool hall?

- Blanked out advertisements on the sides of buildings?

- Malfunctioning road signs pending removal?

This week on the Gila Monster.

I wouldn't pay oakie 45 cents.  :D

DITTO! :D :D :P ;D

This is what I've been complaining about for the past 3 years.... In the past 5 years I've seen prices go up 300% for some of these no talent poster boys to come and play the same mix they did last night, and the night before, and the night before!!!

I knew this end up destroying the scene.... I remember the days when $1500 was a lot of money >:(

• 2 years later...
Guest dre4

10-15k an hour is ridiculous....i feel as if only a very few deserve that, and that does not include oakenfold

how much do u think(or know) space makes in a night

Guest Tru1

Hey hey hey...

Point #1:

Why does everyone love to pick on Oakie for his fees.

I have booked him 4 times and made money on all 4 shows (a couple of them crazy money!)

He happens to have in my opinion the best agent in Dance music, who does his job very well. If you aren't a solid talent buyer he will get as much as you allow him to for his artist, if he even allows you to book him in the first place. He definitely respects relationhips that are developed over years.

If you overpay...shame on you...it is your fault, not Oakies.

Also,

Leave the guy alone already...

Why is it in almost any other genre of music the groundbreaking artists and originators are revered. Yet in our scene...its cool to hate on artists once their material isn't "cutting edge anymore"

Paul Oakenfold has single handedly done more for our scene than just about anyone else on Planet earth.

His sound may not be what members of this board currently listen to, but the man does deserve respect for paving the way for many of the artists that we all currently love.

Point 2:

What is driving the price up in the Miami market is the competition.

When you have mulitple venues bidding...the price goes up.

If I can tell you how inexpensively I have booked some of these superstars in Cleveland quite a few Miami promoters and Club owners would be fairly upset.

But at the end of the day, the miami market is one of only 2-3 in America where you can get away with $20 cover for residents, and $40-60 for headliners. Not to mention $9 beers and $300 bottles of Grey goose.

Miami is a money market for the artists.

While Roger Sanchez may be happy collecting $3K all in for Cleveland...you better believe that he will be looking for $10K+ down here.

Its just the way the booking business works.

A little history lesson. It was actually Led Zeppelin's manager back in the day that changed the economics of artists vs. promoters. Before Led Zeppelin, the promoters used to make the lion's share of the money. LZ's manager orginated the back end split (which isn't widely used in dance music) but none the less, forever shifted the power away from the promoters to the artists and their representatives.

Guest Darwin Castillo

so then djs are not suppose to make deccent money for a living?

They are suppose to play for the love of music, right? ;D

(sure they will... hee hee hee)

Guest LeVeL

The only people who complain about how much money Oakenfold and Tiesto make on gigs are the struggling Dj's who think they can rock Space's main room who think they are more talented yet the only gis they get to play are little small lounges and clubs where no one goes out to support them.

Stop the hate, spread Love!

Guest Spankmeister

I am all about paying someone what they deserve....

BUT, it seems like in the DJ world (as in many other areas as well, sports and the like), a DJ is innovative and makes a name for themselves in their early career and then later tend to rest on their laurels and coast...

This is not the case for all DJ's or bands or sports figures, but in many, many cases it is the case..

100K+ for Oakie is a joke....I have seen him many times in the past and the last couple was total trainwreck city! Tired tracks with the breakdown and buildup every 4 mins or so, and the whole thing where he puts his arms out like he is overwhelmed and that...WTF

I am all about showmanship...Morillo, Glaude even Sander K this weekend all interact with the crowd and are good showmen, but their tracks are much better and they still bring some freshness and it isn't 'Tranceport' over and over again..

With all the competition down here, it does drive up prices, but you also have the crowds to fill the clubs so the clubs can make bank as well...supply and demand...if prices get too high, then nobody will book the DJ..period.

Guest klubveteran

The only people who complain about how much money Oakenfold and Tiesto make on gigs are the struggling Dj's who think they can rock Space's main room who think they are more talented yet the only gis they get to play are little small lounges and clubs where no one goes out to support them.

Stop the hate' date=' spread Love!

[/quote']

great post! its the truth. 8)