Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Save SoBe

Guest sarahcj

Guest pod

They violated a copyright of mine by using an old photo I took of Dave Seaman under their events calendar... :o

Put local lawmakers on the "payroll"

I'm sure the majority of the people on this board neither have the means nor the interest to meddle in local politics on this level. But, some people do and it does happen. The major players in this market such as club/bar owners, restaurant owners, hotel owners, and reatailors need to get their act together and nip this in the bud before it becomes a reality. I saw a municipality do the same thing to the city of Orlando in '97 and Gainsville a couple years later. In both cases the city ruined a good thing.

I'm sure the people trying to enact these laws have greased the wheels somehow. It takes a concerted effort just to get issues on an agenda. Make it in the politicians best interests to make sure these laws don't get passed.

What interest group is trying to get bars shut down early anyway?

Guest coach

From what I understand it is primarily the condo owners in South Pointe who are disturbed by the nightlife. Or, at least, they seem to be the ones pushing the agenda the hardest. Also, there is a group from the condos at 15th & Ocean Dr. that is involved.

I believe there is a committee meeting today, May 19, to further discuss this issue. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, but I hope that some of the nightlife owners/managers will.

Personally, I think that we need to do more about this. I would think a fundraiser/rally would be a good way to start. I would think that we could get someone to volunteer their venue, especially on an off-night, and get some DJs to offer their services and stuff to raise some money to fight this, as well as raise awareness. I would be willing to help organize this.

Also, one of the main problems is that this is not just a legislation issue. While the city commission seems reluctant to take a serious pro-nightlife stance, the main problem seems to be the planning commission, which, I believe, is not even an elected body. From what I understand, they just make it difficult for people to run a nightlife business in this town. The problem is that many of the issues do not even make it to the commission where they can be voted on by your elected officials, but are stopped by this body of appointed bureaucrats. So, it may be that something more serious needs to be done rather than just voting out the commissioners. Like, we may need some new ordinances on how business is handled so that we, the people living, working, and playing here, can have more of a say in it.

James

Put local lawmakers on the "payroll"

I'm sure the majority of the people on this board neither have the means nor the interest to meddle in local politics on this level.  But, some people do and it does happen.  The major players in this market such as club/bar owners, restaurant owners, hotel owners, and reatailors need to get their act together and nip this in the bud before it becomes a reality.  I saw a municipality do the same thing to the city of Orlando in '97 and Gainsville a couple years later.  In both cases the city ruined a good thing....snip...

Actually, Orlando tried the same sort of thing back in 1992 when Bill Fredrick was the mayor. I used to own a nightclub on Orange Ave downtown that was targeted by the proposed (highly biased) law (along with Beecham Theater/OZ and a couple others). To make a long story short, the fight against the city at that time caused us to battle them to a draw, close the club and the mayor plus the chief of police at the time to accept other jobs (Mr. Fredrick did not seek re-election, chief of police quit and went to the Orlando International Airport and I moved to Miami.... pennyless).

Now I see this happening again. Interestingly enough, I happen to have spoken with the Dr. Sunshine guy who is representing the condo association a few times. Actually, he is a nice guy. While I don't like the thought of these restrictive laws being passed, the direction South Beach is heading may need to change. Maybe it is just me, but walking down Washington Ave or Collins between 5th and 14th at 2am can be rather scary.

In Orlando, during the times mentioned above, the city had the police force stay away from the areas with the nightclubs. The effect of this was that petty crimes increased and allowed the city to use this against us to make the point that crime was a result of the clubs. The same thing looks like it is now happening in Sobe. A next step may be for the city to enact "zero tolerance" and start strict enforcement of the laws. This will allow them to compile statistics on misdemeanors/felonies for the purpose of showing in court why the proposed laws are needed.

In our situation, it was the people that made the difference; people that frequented the clubs and lived in the area uniting to let their voice be heard against those that would snuff it out.

My question is, do the current crop of SoBe clubs have a strong enough following to inspire this kind of defense?

Guest coach
Now I see this happening again. Interestingly enough, I happen to have spoken with the Dr. Sunshine guy who is representing the condo association a few times. Actually, he is a nice guy. While I don't like the thought of these restrictive laws being passed, the direction South Beach is heading may need to change. Maybe it is just me, but walking down Washington Ave or Collins between 5th and 14th at 2am can be rather scary.

Wow, I've never gotten that impression and I do that all the time. I used to be more scared walking around in the club district, such as it was, in Dallas. But I see your point about them letting the criminals run free then building up the statistics.

I heard that the vote on the proposed ordinance to limit outdoor venues south of 5th St. happened on May 20th. Can anyone confirm that? If so, does anyone know how it came out?

Guest pod

Well, they put credit where credit is due :) Was about to sic LegalJunkie on them (whichever one of my lawyer friends wants to be LegalJunkie...Joey? Jessica?), but they changed it up.

But yeah, how did the latest meeting turn out?