Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My first post! A djs musings....

omarg

Hi all, this is my first post. I am a law student at U of M and a house, breaks and dnb dj to boot. Ive noticed that this board is picking up little so I figured why not join in! Any other dj's on the board? Im sure you are all house fans, and many old schoolers at that :)

But...I wanted to get some idea of how many of you are looking for a more diverse house sound in Miami? I know how the scene here is; ive lived here for two years now and understand how musically uninformed/uninterested many of the people are. When I moved here I was initially surprised at the weak representation from the dnb and breaks scenes. I know a lot of people who work to make these scenes stay afloat and im fully aware of how hostile promoters and locals on the beach are towards them. Its especially tough now becuase of the age limits on the beach. Anyways, Im perfectly content going to a quality night out here, but I was wondering if any of you knew why the scene here doesnt embrace all ends of the house scene? I dig progressive and deep, but no more than bangin' tech-house or good old funky american house! Why no West Coast Style American House Djs (like H-Foundation, or anyone off of tango, siesta, doubledown..) And since Ive been here I havent seen Derrick Carter or any of a host of big time American House djs booked. They seem to play every other place but here.

What gives?

Lastly, I know this is long, but im sure a lot of you other djs also shop for quality records alone regardless of popularity or over-genrification, but where are you? I shop at Uncle Sams and notice that they have mad racks of quality Funky, Tech, and Prog records that I NEVER hear out. Im guessing theres a whole lot of other good bedroom djs out there (better than the residents on the beach) that dont cater to the promoter's or club owners tastes and dont get booked. Id at least like to know who you are just to find some comfort in the fact that good taste prevails!

peace, Omar G.

Guest sarahcj

Hey welcome to the board, I am sure you will find there are quite a few DJ's lurking around here!

Miami's scene changes every few months, at least most of the clubs seem too. We are constantly updating the listings.

I haven't really see to many of the East coast DJ's over here. The Aquabooty promoters have brought Miguel Migs over a few times and they always bring in good talent.

As for the old school house guys thats a bit more often for example Roger Sanchez is at Nerve tonight. But those DJ's have a huge following in the UK and Ibiza and they spend a lot of time over there. WMC is great though everyone is here.

Where are you from originally?

Guest nickjunkie

Welcome to CJ!

It's difficult and there are a lot of people who feel the way you do about the music. The problem is that Miami is a very mass-market town, and owners of large clubs can't afford to risk an unknown (in Miami), as one bad Saturday can screw things up in a big way...