Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can one love trance, house, breakbeat and techno

Guest djdimaggio

Guest djdimaggio

Is it possible to enjoy and actually love all the various forms of electronic/dance music without being especially indebted to one genre. I'd love to hear from Saleen, Andrew Chibale, Evan and Joey on this one as well as everyone else.

Is Carl Cox a techno DJ or a house DJ or, maybe a techno-house DJ?

I love faggy Ferry trance and deeply delicious Deep Dish as well as techno titan Mauro Picotto and breakbeat bad ass DJ Icey. You'd hear all 4 of those in a standard set of mine and I guarantee you all hands would be pumping and asses shakin! It's how you program the set and mix the music that makes or breaks things.

I say absolutely because I simultaneously enjoy them all AND mix them all equally as well even back to back if the records will blend right! It's all about sounds, isn't it, or am I straying from the "purists code" of one genre to the exclusion of all the others. :o ::):D ;D

Guest joeygk

You can totally mix it up.....DJ's do it all the time. People like Danny Howells mix house, techno, disco and breakbeats all in one set. The key is to avoid cheezy anthems and find tracks in different genres that fit together and string em' along w/ solid mixing --- not an easy task.

As far as genre goes it all depends on the sound. I def prefer bangin' house music, but I also like techno & trance. I don't really care for breakbeats - I can handle it for about 2 tracks, but then it just pisses me off - I could never handle an full 2-hour Adam Freeland style breakbeat set. The only trance I like to listen to is the classic 'baleric sound' from the mid-late 90's.....but most of it borderlines on Progessive sounding. As far as Techno goes I can totally get down to the minimal Richie Hawtin detroit style techno - but people like Mistress Barbara are way too hard - too many beats per minute.

It all comes down to personal taste. I know what I like - and I'm only gonna spend a night out if I enjoy the music.

*btw - has anyone noticed that Mauro Picotto is starting to sound more and more like Lisha Lashes --- :o ;D

great post charles, and if we can get the CJ miami posters involved I think the rhetoric will augment even further.

First of all, what I love about the Cooljunkie ny and miami forums is that intelligent, introspective looks into dance music are possible without all the infantile bullshit or childish tantrums that occur regularly on most other forums inundated with teenagers. Good stuff.

Anyway, I think that my opinion here wont be as educated as the opinions of you, joey, saleen, etc. You guys have been involved in the scene longer than I have. not that Im a newbie, but I defintitely have a bit of a delayed adolescence in the scene and Im still learning a lot on the fly...which involves going out to tons of events, doing tons of research, and doing a lot of listening to what people say and what people post on forums, etc. Writing articles for CJ also helps alot as it gets me to really research and pay acute attention to details, etc.

What I lack in education I advance in emotion. I know what makes me feel good when im out, what sounds penetrate---after experiencing a buffet of DJS and differnet genres of music---from the clubs and lounges of NYC and abroad to the intense week 3 yrs and running of my attendance at the WMC--- I cna definitely say that my interests and tastes cross genres-----some of my sentiments mirror what you stated above, Charles. eg:

I was a dancing machine at Ferry, pumpin my fist and really enjoying the faggy trance---i mean, my eyes lit up several times throughout the evening as I trainspotted some of my favorite tracks from the past and present---see my review on the CJ ny site (not a shameless plug, for sake of time im letting you use it as a reference should you want more insight into my ferry exp)

However, I also was a machine at Nick Warrens event the week before, where I recognized only a few tracks but I felt it just as much if not more than PVD the week before, and Ferry the week after. Also, as you all know, iM a big Tiesto fan--and I loved his performance last year at Space (once the crowd thinned out a bit, god it was too crowded at first)---and when Tiesto was done I was the first person on the terrace (exaggerating for effect there) dancing with my friends to the beats of Mauro Picotto.

As for breaks, Im in the same boat as Joey...a couple of tracks are fun (like when PVD dropped a few on the 14th...I loved it!) but thereafter it gets a bit shitty for me.

So yes , I think most people do enjoy elements of all the genres you specified here---and we all have out sie of the spectrum that we prefer---but broad horizons are a great thing to have...mine arent extremely broad, but broad enough to give something a chance and not be a bitch if a DJ begins to stray from their normal stuff---

Im definitely eager to hear you spin, especially if you mix it up like this----it keeps things fresh and I think Id really enjoy it. Just no JP, ok?