Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar New York

Guest nickjunkie

Guest nickjunkie

I got a chance to have a tour recently and the venue looks great. However the marketing director told me that they won't be focusing on guest DJ's, and will only book them sporadically.

He thinks that these days the crowd is more about enjoying the venue than who is spinning.

Any thoughts?

Kind of...at least here in nyc. But Limelite thought that as well, and Limelight now has a huge For SALE sign in front of it.

Bottom Line: Polite doorservice, little cover charge, drinks specials (open bar from 10-11 always draws a crowd) and good music and hot people will always draw a crowd.

ill write more alter, time to go get adrink with some friends

Guest joeygk

I always have thought that you have to focus on building a core crowd and strong weekly residents that everyone loves b4 you start bringing in outside talent - if you do it right the 'guest djs' will be like icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Consistency builds a club. Period. I do not claim to know any magic formula but it would seem that clubs are grasping at anything they can to fill the venue. Whatever 'trend' they wish to sell is irrelevant if it has no long term effect. And lets face it, top dj's are expensive, and don't always deliver, yet you'll have local residents that know what they have in front of them and will give plenty of effort into keeping thier job.

Sadly electronic/dance music has been so pidgeon-holed that it's hard to get one dj to play to a diverse crowd. Certain dance music is considered 'cool' while other forms are considered 'out-dated' or 'un-cool', can't remember it being like that 10 years ago. We can't turn back the clock, but we can at least see what has happened in the past, a past we didn't have to draw from all those years ago.

We apparently all love the music, and the social aspect . But us mere people have no control, unless we have the money. Money being the ultimate evil here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest djfreedom

The nightclub climate has suffered because of greedy promoters and even more greedy club mgrs/owners. There are lots of great people in this business who do what they do well, but if the super clubs want to survive-not to mention compete-they must consider those things (lower admissions, local dj emphasis, creative themes, drink specials, etc.) and most importantly, GREAT MUSIC! There is plenty of it out here, and no club should suck because the music does.

Crobar in Miami is very gay; I only wonder what the NYC version will be like...being straight in a gay party or club never bothered me; They have some of the best DJs and the music is always top notch. I'd prefer a straight crowd, but know that a mixed crowd is probably a given considering Crobar's reputation and now, location.

Guest nickjunkie
Crobar in Miami is very gay;

Kinda depends on the night - it's only a gay party on Sundays. Fri and Sat are the same as the rest of town.

• 1 month later...

Nick I was in there and they will be lucky if they open by New Years nevermind Halloween or Thanksgiving. David Waxman was hired as the Music Director for both Crobar in Miami and in NY we got the memo a couple weeks ago. And though no one is saying too much Dirk has let me know that their publicist knows we are the first to get sound check it invites.

As for Limelight its prospects look more promising than anyone elses to open in September. The Lyons Corp. which own the clubs Avalon and Axis in Boston as well as others has bought the oldskool clubber stomping grounds and is looking to open doors by September. Since the previous owners already renovated less than a year before they gave up the club not much will be drastically changed besides some decorating and of course the installation of the patented AVALON SOUND SYSTEM. (Refer to Nation nightclub in DC & Avalon Boston) which rivals the Phazon set up that was put in during the last renovation.

:-*

that is so interesting! I had no idea that limelite was to re-open, thats pretty good news!

A club in Nyc that needs to be reviewed is Cielo. Ive been hearing such amazing things about it lately...it has the core "crowd" that was mentioned above...and is hosting some really great events in recent weeks...I wish I had the time to check it out, but ive just returned home from travels and am completely immersed in work...

Guest nickjunkie
that is so interesting!  I had no idea that limelite was to re-open, thats pretty good news!  

A club in Nyc that needs to be reviewed is Cielo.  Ive been hearing such amazing things about it lately...it has the core "crowd" that was mentioned above...and is hosting some really great events in recent weeks...I wish I had the time to check it out, but ive just returned home from travels and am completely immersed in work...

Funny you should say that - it's possible we may host a portion of the DJ Spin Off there...

Guest pod

Some Miamians are currently being interviewed to head up some high-profile positions at the Avalon NYC location. ;D

It'll be fun to see another good Avalon install go in...I've been a fan of the systems since their introduction in the late 1990s, at Avalon of course.

Guest joeygk

Cielo is hands down the best venue in the city - great location in the Meat packing district - super cool crowd - really diverse music everything from Calderone to Francois K - - -

Monday night's party 'deep space' at Cielo is amazing, probably the best weekly party in the city! ;D

Crobar in Miami is very gay; I only wonder what the NYC version will be like

What are you talking about?

While they always have had a poplular gay Sunday night, and their Monday night Back Door Bamby is certainly mixed.

Any other night may be 5% gay at the very most.  Unless you count the girls messing around with girls, by no means is it known here as a gay oriented club.

BTW Was told last night (at the Miami Crobar) that they plan on opening in October.

And I honestly thing Crobar is going to teach a thing or two to the other clubs about how management and staff is supposed to treat the customer.

Tired of feeling like the enemy?  Tired of some guido doorman treating you with disdain because you don't stick needles in your ass or have the prestigous postion of "Door Security?"  Tired of bartenders who could give a shit if you are satisfied with what you spent your money on? Girls tired of not being able to do anything when some meat head wont leave you alone because you dont agree that he is gods gift to women?

Try Crobar, the almost always treat everyone like you only get at the VIP in other clubs.

BTW I have absolutly nothing to do with the club.