Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who killed the vibe......?

Guest demo909

Guest demo909

Is it just me or is there something wrong with (or missing in) South Beach? After making the rounds this week and hitting a lot of new hot spots (Flute bar, Room, Pure) and a few regular staples (Crobar, Rumi, Lime Bar & others) I can't help getting the feeling that something is a miss....

Sure there is excitement in the air over WMC 2003 being right around the corner, but thats about it.

I can't put my finger on it...is it the music...the DJ's...the party people....the clubs....the promoters....or a little bit of everything?

It feels like someone, something has died. So my question is to all you....Who killed the vibe...?

I would love to hear all you're opinions.

Guest musikdancer

I think the vibe is kinda blah lately cuz everything is the same. There is really nothing different that really stands out....its the same crowd, same scenery.....we are just doing the same thing but at different places. There might be new clubs or bars but its the same rythym. Does this make sense???

Actually it's the lack of consistency that's killing the vibe, when the weekend (whenever that is) arrives there is so much choice, yet the differences between them is minor.

Resident DJ's here seem to want the job they've been trusted with, and while I've heard some b*tch (no pregnant doggies here) about the clubs, the this, the that, I have to ask myself if the dj's really have any say in what's happening, maybe the honcos that own the clubs should sit in the passenger seat for the ride sometimes, maybe the perspective change may spark an idea.

And if the beach keeps the prices as high as they are then it's just a matter of time before there is nothing left but cheesy dance clubs and tourists out for the high.

Guest musikdancer

I think your right....the head honchos should sit in the passenger seat. For tourists the clubs and bars here are fun for them...but for us locals we need a bit of spark sometimes. the reason the clubs are expensive to get into is cuz they know people will pay. Don't get me wrong...i like Miami and what it has to offer in the night scene....we are kinda spoiled...there are other towns that i have been too...and compared to the clubs and bars here in Miami, they aren't that great. It would be cool to have new ideas come about. Maybe instead of open mike night...we should have an open DJ night, with good music, no more trancy cheesy stuff. Maybe i don't know what i am talking about...but it would be cool to have something different. More underground, techno, breakbeats, drum & bass....more laid back people. not so stuck up. everything is about show here.....and not the music...it should be more about the music!

Yeah, I agree. :( :(

The spots have been kinda dead lately. True, that its the same thing every weekend and people are getting sick of it, including me, but I think everyone is saving their money & energy for WMC. Lets see what happens.

Yeah mate, I need that stack! Im broke and Im bored with my current stack of vinyl. Gimme, gimme!! :P :P ;D

Ive been working on some new beats, but no full disk just yet. I'll have something for ya soon my brotha!

How about you? Any new trax??

Lets get together soon OK.

The scene definitely needs variety. Like it has been said, you start seeing the same people, hearing the same music, no matter which club you go to. I am really enjoying Lime Bar as of late. The reason why WMC gets so much hype is that you can experience all types of music, just not house. The reason why Josh Wink’s Monday night set at Crobar is getting good reviews, is that he kept it fresh, with variety from hip-hop to classics, and never missed a beat. The big boys need to take some chances and open their minds.

Also killing the vibe, these are just some observations:

It costs $10 for a bottle of water, come on.

When the VIP area is more crowded than the main dance floor, something is wrong. ???

Guest shannon_coolj.

Who killed the vibe? Let's start with the rich, phony Miami people who just go to the clubs to be seen and don't know what DJ is playing or what kind of music they're listening to. Image is everything...those people don't go to the clubs for the music.

Then let's go with the clubs...do they really care about the music? Like vinyljunkie said, they're about to price themselves right out of business.

There's so many things wrong with the Miami scene. At one time, vinyljunkie was talking about starting a pseudo-underground scene...you know, something for the people that actually care about the music. Maybe a house party on the beach with tables set up? That's where the true essence of the scene and the music is.

The big boys need to take some chances and open their minds.

Also killing the vibe, these are just some observations:

It costs $10 for a bottle of water, come on.

When the VIP area is more crowded than the main dance floor,  something is wrong.  ???

VIP is a myth, the real VIP's are the people that come to the clubs with no predudice, no bad attitude, and the lust and passion to enjoy the music and the energy that's been created by a dj that has worked very hard to be there. It isn't about the dj, the music, the crowd, the club or any of those single factors, it's about the combination, it's hard to offer a society what they want these days.

We are ever changing and as time passes and horrific events create a paranoid atmosphere, we become more adapt at change, something we as humans generally don't like, but now we have to, we have learnt that a few minutes can change the world, and it did.

What hasn't changed is our desire to be part of a community, a community that will understand us. Call it underground, or whatever 'cool' word you can imagine, but there really is something to just getting together with friends, friends of friends, etc. and just letting go...it's nice to be able to step back in the company of people we trust and just have a good time.

The energy in the miami clubs is there, it's just the wrong energy, I don't envy the position the club owners are in right now, I really think the club scene will die off, and hopelfully the void will be filled with something we need.

Guest fredda

WowoW! that was brilliant VinylJunkie.

I totally agreed with you. It is just a lack of true values what is killing the vibe! How sad that is.

I am not from Miami, not even from the U.S. and I always thought I feel in that way becuase I did not understand this "culture" . Now I realized I am not alone feeling this way. It is not about cultural differences, then.

We are all surviving here by trying to avoid what is really going on. Trying to have fun...but sometimes it is really hard around here, isn't it?

Wrong energy, thats it!

ps: talking about being around friends having fun? Am I gonna get to see you before leaving? what about our last "session"?

• 3 years later...
Guest swank

Is it just me or is there something wrong with (or missing in) South Beach?  After making the rounds this week and hitting a lot of new hot spots (Flute bar, Room, Pure) and a few regular staples (Crobar, Rumi, Lime Bar & others) I can't help getting the feeling that something is a miss....

Sure there is excitement in the air over WMC 2003 being right around the corner, but thats about it.

I can't put my finger on it...is it the music...the DJ's...the party people....the clubs....the promoters....or a little bit of everything?

It feels like someone, something has died. So my question is to all you....Who killed the vibe...?

Thought I'd bring this one back for fun...it seems only the names have changed. ;D

Guest james stratus

Is it just me or is there something wrong with (or missing in) South Beach? After making the rounds this week and hitting a lot of new hot spots (Flute bar, Room, Pure) and a few regular staples (Crobar, Rumi, Lime Bar & others) I can't help getting the feeling that something is a miss....

Thought I'd bring this one back for fun...it seems only the names have changed. ;D

LOL! I saw the date and am thinking nothing has changed since then :P

Guest swank

haha! imagine almost 4 years later and still the same [rant] :D

Guest endymion

haha! imagine almost 4 years later and still the same [rant] :D

Part of the scene has always been telling people that the scene was a lot more fun two years ago before they showed up.