Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ABC Peter Jennings' Newsmagazine piece on Ecstasy

Alright party people, time to speculate. I dont even know if I have the energy for this right now, however I'll commence regardless.

Bottom line (what I took from the segment):

MDMA in a pure form synthesized properly by an established ethical scientist is probably fine on the body. While it does leak some Seratonin, it is likely regenerated within a couple of weeks of abstaining from the substance. Like one soundbite revealed, some prescription drugs are more detrimental and dangerous than MDMA.

the street versions prepared by criminals have bogus shit in them that have the malevolent effects. Anyone who considers taking pills should be weary and concerned-

regardless of everything, it was very well done and informative, to say the least. To see the progression like that---all of the images and stock footage through the years--- so interesting...

I was wondering when you would post about this.

I agree, I really enjoyed the program, gave me a lot of background info I didnt know and didnt take the time to research myself.

Can you imagine if you were one of the ones that had access to this when it was legal and then it was suddenly taken away...must have been madness for some people.

I commend Peter Jennings on his report and not hiding behind the propaganda and instead exposing the holes in the goverments "Just Say No" campaign.

I was wondering when you would post about this.

I agree, I really enjoyed the program, gave me a lot of background info I didnt know and didnt take the time to research myself.

Can you imagine if you were one of the ones that had access to this when it was legal and then it was suddenly taken away...must have been madness for some people.

I commend Peter Jennings on his report and not hiding behind the propaganda and instead exposing the holes in the goverments "Just Say No" campaign.

well said. I commend ABC as a whole for airing that...it was ballsy and really a good example of journalism "revealing" truths while being fair and balanced--

the only concern Id have is that certain irresponsible people will think the report deems the drug usage a free-for all healthy thing to do...but it's not their job to monitor that or be respinsible for it...it's society's responsibility to have common sense. (which unfortunately many people lack)

those scenes in Dallas...where everyone was taking pure MDMA in clubs and you'd see parents and their kids all tripping together....insane! It must have taken quite an effort to gather all of that "stock footage" from so many years ago...from my vantage point as a producer---the footage they had and the way the video was used and effects, etc etc was so well done...they had some exceptional poducers working on that, clearly

I agree, we are all guneia (sp?) pigs whether we want to admit it or not. Kinda scary when you think about the possibilities of what MIGHT be happening to our bodies. OR maybe we are doing good and are ingesting a cure for cancer that we dont even know about. There are always two sides.

It def was a very objective piece overall & especially when it came down to the science, but def off the mark as far as stereotyping the "scene"

"hug drug" -- I have never, not once heard this term used by anyone besides Oprah! ::)

Glowsticks & Ravers -- maybe at fru fru trance events, but not at the parties I go to -- ::)

*although, did anyone see the clips from the energy party in london '89 ----> can you even imagine the vibe @ the event! Fokk Yeah - frankie bones - NY house records in the UK -- Strap it on!

The long term effect argument is still a legitimate issue to debate though --- def something to think about.

I thought they did a fine job of showing how the rave scene came first; then was assimilated into mainstream clubbing.

As for glowsticks, there was plenty of footage from clubs without glowsticks...granted there was some footage from raves that showed them, but that is what a lot of people bring to raves.

NOW, the shots of people staring and clawing at the screens with the psychodelic images and all that, that was a bit far fetched. Also the shots of people bouncing around (like that young fat ADD kid I posted the link to a week or so ago) was also far fetched. (and really scary!)

Guest JMT
...OR maybe we are doing good and are ingesting a cure for cancer that we dont even know about. There are always two sides.

LOL, true and how great that would be. but probably our most likely outcome is alzheimers at 40.

...OR maybe we are doing good and are ingesting a cure for cancer that we dont even know about. There are always two sides.

LOL, true and how great that would be. but probably our most likely outcome is alzheimers at 40.

wait, what were we talking about?

Guest JMT

ha ha ha! i didnt even get that at first.

ha ha ha! i didnt even get that at first.

making you laugh, makes my day.

Guest Cosmigonon

Where can I find that piece online??????? I'm really interested in sending it to some people I know and some other forums in Panamá. I thank in advance any info ;D ;D

Guest swirlundergrounder

I thought this piece was done really well. I almost felt as if Peter was going to pop one himself at the end of the show.