Clubplanet Nightlife Community

You a cop?

CrzyC1414779017

After a long, serious IM discussion with a board member the following question came up...

Truth or Myth...

If you ask someone if they are a cop they have to tell you if they are.

Personally, I think this is a myth. Otherwise you could ask anyone if they are a cop and never get busted for drugs...ya know.

Guest JMT

ive heard that they cant say, "i am not a police officer." otherwise its entrapment.

they can dodge the question, like saying, do you think im a cop? or do i look like a cop?

i dont know for sure, but i have a friend who just graduated law school, ill ask him.

If u assume someone is a cop or I mean if u have an idea, and u are a cop, Yes u have to say that u are a police officer if not then that is entrapment, just like JMT stated and If u make an arrest and when it comes to the court day, the defendant's lawyer's asks u questions like if that person asked if u were a cop and u said no, they can get off, yeah most of the time, the judge always listens to the cop, but sometimes, and it has happen lately, people have gotten off, already took my necessary classes for this, cause I am becoming one, but whatever town I work, dont ask me to fix your tickets until after Im a cop for a year, thats all!!!

;D ;D ;D

Guest fbarassi

Its not a myth at all. My father is a lawyer and my brother-in- law is a cop and both have told me that by law they are required to answer truthfully if asked. If not, its considered entrapment which is totally illegal... The problem is, unless you have an impartial witness or a recording at the time you ask, its your word against theirs... and who do think a judge will believe? Don't deceive yourself either by the way, cops are not always as truthful as one would hope.

Guest fbarassi

If you ask if they are a policeman and they say no, it opens them up for an entrapment charge if they are soliciting you. In any case, it is still usually their word against yours.

Guest JMT

Pod and Saleen are right....

It is a myth, they are allowed to lie their face off when undercover. I asked my laywer friend.

Entrapment is leading a person to commit a crime they wouldn't otherwise have done. (Ex: leaving a bag of coke in the bathroom at Space and then arresting the first person who took it for possession.)

Guest macboy

Carisa, shoot me a PM over on cp if this is something you really need to talk about in depth. Otherwise, short answer is no as posted by jmt, pod and the club legend...

Guest swirlundergrounder

ive heard that they cant say, "i am not a police officer." otherwise its entrapment.

they can dodge the question, like saying, do you think im a cop? or do i look like a cop?

i dont know for sure, but i have a friend who just graduated law school, ill ask him.

Ah ha I think you're a cop! Otherwise how could you have come up with these replies unless you have thought about them...Just Kidding.... ;)