Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How was Armin?

Guest nickjunkie

oh man...that party went late! completely insane...we pre-gamed here at my apartment which got out of control---

I was like Dimaggio with the camera ! I took tons of pics (the first half are black because i didnt have the flash on :-[

uhhh anyway once I got the flash on I snapped some really nice digital pics...I'll share them once they are uploaded, but they let me go on the stage where armin was spinning to get some great crowd shots and shots of him spinning as well. he is so young!

now, i'll say that armin's set was not all that. He really does spin some cheesey shit! I am not a big fan of fluffy trance like that.

None of his transitions made sense and his track selections were good at times but with zero flow to them.

So what made up for this, ironically, was a great crowd of people! So many Israelis and Eastern Europeans were there....it was bizarre, ive never seen it like that...Lots of fun people were there and everyone was mingling with eachother, which is a rare thing for that place. The crowd was very diverse and sociable.

Anyway, i went with a big group of friends, who were all awesome, and we rocked out--you have no idea--- spent more time in the lounge section upstairs talking with people and dancing on that balcony a bit than on the dance floor.

Overall rating:

Music -- 4

Experience -- 7

partying like a rockstar with my inner circle -- 10

I was impressed with the Roxy straff all being cool this time around. I dont know if it was a fluke or a a new policy there, but they were actually not bad.

Whatever, I hate that place. It is the worst venue and MADE events needs to change where they have their shows!

Found Vic there with his girlfriend Lexie...thanx for the CD victor...great to be with you on the dancefloor rather than dancing to you spinning :D see you on Friday for gatecrasher.

Also, the place was not crowded at all. It was perfectly full....by the end of the night there were only a handful of people there and the dj-dancefloor interaction was very intimate--- you could be right up there in front of him.

The stage and lighting was not nearly as good as it was for pvd back in February.

the soundsystem is nothing compared to the space dynachord. im forever jaded after that wmc experience

Guest JMT

nice review Ev.

i have to agree with you about the Armin fluffy cheese comment. hes not as edgy as i like. but, ill be the first to say im a little baised.

Guest trancelator

In retrospect, the one time I saw Armin he played it very safe with his set. He played "As the Rush Comes" and "Time of our Lives." But then I hear the first few songs of his latest album and it is a solid effort. I'm thinking he may be someone who is great in the studio but that doesn't do as well when he plays out.

Guest joeygk
now, i'll say that armin's set was not all that. He really does spin some cheesey shit! I am not a big fan of fluffy trance like that.

word. ;) ;D

I was impressed with the Roxy straff all being cool this time around. I dont know if it was a fluke or a a new policy there, but they were actually not bad.

Whatever, I hate that place. It is the worst venue and MADE events needs to change where they have their shows!

I don't really mind the Roxy so much - I'd go so far as to say I even like the place (especially rollerskaing on Wed) -- I think it has a really cool retro vibe to it -- I've never had any problems there -- I've had more bad experiences at Avalon & Centro than anywhere else. I guess it just goes to show you how you can really be in the wrong place at the wrong time -- and a few bad experiences can taint your perception of a place foreva.

*although, a cool crowd will almost always help turn things around. I went to Cielo last Wed and the music sucked ass (it was like elevator house music -- sooo boring) -- but the crowd was AWESOME --- !!

Guest wheels

Armin was a highly antcipated experience that sadly, did not meet the expected hype precluding Armins performance. I was sad to miss Armin at this years WMC so I was really looking forward to seeing him spin again (first time I saw armin was fall 2003 when he spun at ARC to introduce his then new album 76 and since he was great that last time I saw him... well you get the jist of it) We were most def, THE MOST! (except you striker)

We arrived around 1am and to all of our pleasant surprise the club was fully yet not packed and a slight arua of cool air hung like gossmer over the dance floor. As Ev said it was a pleasant mixed and agreeable crowd with plenty of wide open space on the dance floor our NYC dance crew was ready to bring the pain with avengence. it felt as though it took FOR EVER for Armin to finally set up his set and equipment. i would guestimate that he finally came on at around 2 but don't quote me on that one cause by 2 I was 3 bombs deep and ready to recieve!

Alas, Armin was not even "strong to quite strong" his choice of music was light and evervecent no hard pain what-so-ever. Some to many of his transitions seem akward and you were often left chatching your breath as you simply stopped danceing beacuse you just weren't feeling it. Many of us attempted to DOMINATE but I just couldn't get myself going despite my best efforts. All night long I waited for the pain..... but no pain was served. I mean don't get me wrong, rolling my dome-peice off was great and a night out at any NYC club with good buddies is always a blessing but it just...well it just....didn't BBBBUUUUURRRRNNNNN! like I was hoping for. No worries though because the V.I.P. room at 20 sty was.... a whole other story. Lets just say kids, that when the bus driver tells you to keep your arms and hands insid the bus you DO IT! okay? No for real though Whipit's, aint no fucking joke that shit put me on planet Wheels population me... but more on that scene later...also kids stay tunned for a recap of my REALLY SWEET cali trip.