Clubplanet Nightlife Community

History of Underground Dance Music Movement.

240turbo

I just found this out today On CP NY. But for those of you who don't know, They made a movie about the legendary "Paradise Garage" and "The Loft" as well as the legendary house DJ Larry Levan and David Mancuso. These are the early 80's NYC afterhours clubs that pretty much gave birth to the underground/afterhour dance music culture/craze that we are living today. They pretty much had a worldwide influence. The website is www.maestro-documentary.com . It seems very interesting. I remember those days in NY as a little kid seeing my uncle and his friends come back home at 2PM from the Loft. I used to hear stories about these crazy clubs, yet I had no idea I would be part of the same madness 25 years later. I guess good ol' Uncle Phil rubbed off on me in a big way. LOL :D :D . But hey I'm not complaining;) ;)

Guest lyrik

I'll post up a link to the history of house music...takes you from the very beginning through Chicago..through NY overseas and back here...really good 3 parter that was on the BBC I believe.

Guest pod

check out:

http://www.mickmusicpage.net

http://www.disco-disco.com

http://www.jahsonic.com

http://www.fifbear.com

All are fairly comprehensive, with Jahsonic having the most information, but in a very jumbled fashion.

Disco-Disco is obviously more disco oriented, but the early days of house were heavily tied in with disco...Disco DJs like Nicky Siano, John Ceglia, and John "Jellybean" Benitez, incorporated a lot of early house material into their sets...plus the perspective on the clubs themselves is priceless...

Guest pod

hehe

I have a penchant for the early days of the "modern era" of nightlife...i.e. when clubs as we know them started to take shape.

Guest Diabolique

I just found this out today On CP NY. But for those of you who don't know, They made a movie about the legendary "Paradise Garage" and "The Loft" as well as the legendary house DJ Larry Levan and David Mancuso. These are the early 80's NYC afterhours clubs that pretty much gave birth to the underground/afterhour dance music culture/craze that we are living today. They pretty much had a worldwide influence. The website is www.maestro-documentary.com . It seems very interesting. I remember those days in NY as a little kid seeing my uncle and his friends come back home at 2PM from the Loft. I used to hear stories about these crazy clubs, yet I had no idea I would be part of the same madness 25 years later. I guess good ol' Uncle Phil rubbed off on me in a big way. LOL :D :D . But hey I'm not complaining;) ;)

omg that's awesome. DO you realize you're one of the first of the second generation of clubbers. Give me clubbing in the late 70's, when decadence and hedonism actually meant something...

omg that's awesome. DO you realize you're one of the first of the second generation of clubbers. Give me clubbing in the late 70's, when decadence and hedonism actually meant something...

Yeah, pretty funny huh? That my uncle who is now 44 years old was a hardcore afterhours junkie in the late 70's early 80's listening to the house music that evolved into what we are groovin to today. No wonder he's the only one who understands me. ;DPretty Amazing. LOL.

you should keep this thread hot, it is informative and an interesting read (just an idea)

I agree! But apparently not many people have been showing much interest to this thread. I have no idea why. I started it because I figured, since pretty much everybody on this board is addicted to some form of electronic music or another, that they would want to know what gave birth to this madness. But hey I guess not.

Guest ciaran

PUMP UP THE VOLUME

This was a great programme, everyone watched it here

People into the MOODIEST of grunge etc..

It was great to see the history in America but when it came to england it got moody and druggy

But Danny rampling is still the man... ;D

Guest bcnjunkie

Great stuff !, good article. I think the acid house thing is a little off. It's origins are traced back to England, with it's birth at La Hacienda in Manchester. Then again acid house rose almost simultaneously in both countries and it's a little foggy where it actually began. But all in all a great piece. Funny, I didn't see any mention of Puff Daddy or Eric Morillo who both were going off about Paradise Garage (and how old school they were) for Subliminal sessions @ Crobar for conference !