Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how is dj'ing legal?

If I'm not mistaken, clubs have licenses that allow them to play copyrighted music. BMI and ASCAP are two huge firms that pay royalties to the artists, so I assume that clubs have one of each license that lets them do it...

What do u mean "how ar mixed cd's legal"???

------------------

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams...

We are the movers and shakers

Of the world forever, it seems

In the case of mixed CDs, most of the Cds you find at places liek Virgin and Tower are FULLY LICENSED. They got permission from all ther labels that are featured and thus they can legally sell them.

If you are talking about the loads and loads of mix tapes and CDs you see for sale at flea markets and DJ record stores, then those are most likely NOT licensed. Local places like the local DJ record store are not as easy to watch as big chains like Best Buy and Tower. However, a licensed mix in a big chain has far better selling power.

Now, as long as you put "for promotional use" on your demos, you are all good. The real crime is when you try and make money off the CDs.

As for making money as a DJ, you really can't. I make money as a web developer. DJing is my fun hobby.

D-Jam

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.osmag.com" TARGET=_blank> osmagfooter.gif </A>

if you put out a mix CD it must have roialties paid and a track listing - if you intend to sell it for above cost

if it is for promo use only (must me marked on CD)or if you sell it at cost, it is not necessary to pay roallties...basicly you just cannot be making any money off the tracks.

however, that brings up a point...i highly doubt most promoters pay anything to have DJ's at their parties (this is for "raves," i dun know how clubs work it out) and they definatly make money on their parties as do the DJ's...interesting question