Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nightlife in Philly

Guest ne1469

Guest ne1469

Hey ...just wondering what it's like partying in Philly in the main venues...thinking of moving to philly from NYC and I don't know if I can handle the change in closing time.

::)....how was Timo Maas?..he was here in NYC too.

Guest berry

There always something open in Philly past 2 am. There are several "after hours" spots, some of which close at 3:30. Also, there are a bunch of clubs, I believe Deco is one, that now open in the am (6 maybe?). Its not NY but its cool and if you ever have that nagging lust for NY you can always just hop on over.

Timo was good. The party was absolutely amazing, probably one of the best I've been to since 1999 or so! Timo had his moments but its certainly not the best I've ever heard....

If anyone has been to Ibiza and heard him in DC10 then you know what I'm talkin' about!

Guest dudewithatude

Hey Berry...I'm wondering if I saw you there and didn't know it...I stayed for Timo's entire set and then some. I was the tall dude with the black NY Fuckin City shirt on and the shades...???

And I agree with you...the party was quite good. I still enjoyed Timo's thumping set.

Guest berry

Hey Dude! There were so many people there it was hard to find the people I was looking for! I don't remember seeing you specifically but maybe you saw me? I was wearing a black lace halter and white mini? Brown hair/eyes? I'm sure we passed eachother once or twice! 8)

Guest Duckiey

Hey ne1469 :) If I were you I wouldnt even waste my time with most of the Philly clubs.. Ive lived in Philly all my life and the scene is kinda sad :-X .. Especially compared to NYC

Guest dudewithatude

Yo Duckiey, why are you being stupid?? Your an obvious little druggie who has no sense and thus, no place, to spout off false accusations about a city it sounds you barely even know about. Give it a rest. >:(

Guest dudewithatude

This is a Philadelphia nightlife support site, so yeah people are gonna be offended when you say negative shit about it. Anyway ne1469, you should at least try Philly out. By all means, don't come with NYC expectations or standards, but with an open mind. I've always thought of Philly as a little New York, one that you can at least decently get around in by vehicle and not have to worry about nightmare, expensive-ass parking or NYC cabbies. As an outsider looking in, I've always thought the city has been packed with upscale restaurants, bars, clubs, and lounges in the Old City, Northern Liberties, and Center City neighborhoods, just to name a few. And it's getting better all the time. Again, nothing like New York, but nowhere really compares with the Big Apple, now does it?? ;)

Guest dudewithatude

Oh BTW berry, I don't recall seeing you either, but there WERE many fine females in attendance that night so I'm sure you blended right in... ;)

Guest ne1469

:P Thanks everyone for the tips...I understand I can't come in thinking it's gonna be like NY...i can keep an open mind and enjoy what Philly may have to offer...

Much appreciated!

Cheers!

Guest phillyjunkie

hey just wanna add my two cents about what seperates philly from new york in many positive ways. Here are some ways people in philly can relate....

BTW: dudewithattitude: I tink this could be a next cool article as well. ur south beach vs old city was great. Am I seeing a NYC vs Philly article? Also , just reminded myself that we got a philly vs new york party coming up at DECO. Not my fav venue but it seems like an interesting lineup:

Robbie Tronco vs Razor (althogh i think Razor and Guido prob are at Deco more often then not! lol)

ok so here were are

New York is kinda like King of Prussia mall. Dont go there thinking u can get in and out quickly to find what u need. I prefer Exton Mall. It easier to get there. Exton Mall = Philly

New York has to be the dirtiest city i have seen

New York is way too crowded

Now Philly has some issues too: Philly is an insecure city, period. We want so bad to be bigger than what we are. In fact we want so desperstely to be NYC or something more than what we are.

Philly had alot of character though.

Old City is a great area with tons of entertainment packed into 2-4 blocks, not spread out over so much space like NYC.

The Exton Mall theory again....

Big clubs in NYC are like a whole city block

Big lubs in Philly are the first floor of a warehouse.

Big Clubs in philly have had a hard time competing with old city it looks like.

BUT, Philly has some great great music. Tons of Tribal house and loungy house. Not a huge trance scene anymore, but it is there. (we hope to change that a little bit with our cooljunkie parties @ Shampoo)

well, we have tastycakes and pretels too

thats all i got for now. Not feeling more creative ....

can anyone else help out ???

Guest Duckiey

I'll admit I havent been to many clubs in Philly or NYC. Ive been to Shampoo a bunch of times, I useto go with a friend on Sundays but the " Rave Room" was empty and beat I couldnt believe it! The Hip-Hop room was overflowed. I like hip hop but I was planing on spliting up with the chic I went with and going on my own. But I found myself in a room of like 5 I SWEAR! So I left and tried not to get molested in the Hip-Hop room.

I didnt let that get the best of me. Ive also been to the Warehouse and the tunes were GREAT! But once again I found myself on the floor with atleast 7 people. I just wound up in the DJ booth which made the night kool. But.... Nothing wasnt what I though it would be.

Recently Ive been too some lil place off of south st. Man I wish I remembered the name.. Anyway the music was real mainstream with remixes of back in the day songs. I'll admit he did get me in the end with the groovy house at the end, with that and all that Champagne I was having a ball for like 4 songs.

Ive heard alot from my friends who are all in their late 20's, 30's and very much into produceing, mixing etc. And have been in the scene way b4 me. Back in the day I was listening to Q102 and they were listening to HEAVEN BEATS. Thank God I was saved!

My point is what ive experienced is nothing close to what ive heard from people who have been to many many clubs all over. And from what I hear now Im not going to find it to close to home. Well I guess untill I come and party with you guys heehee.

I dunno what made me write so much. My brain just wanted to get it out. XoXoXoXoXo :-*

Guest dudewithatude

NYC vs. Philly article??? I don't know if I wanna touch that one with a 10-foot pole. There's too much rivalry and city pride between those 2.

I'd say NYC has it beat 100 to 1, but for those of us not privileged enough to travel up that way all the time (and shell out thrice as much cash) Philly suits me just fine for around here.

Hmm, I'll think about it though.

::) ::) ::)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KrisKat

NYC vs. Philly, hmm. Over the last year I have been spending a fair amount of time in both places and have enjoyed what both cities have to offer. In my opinion what makes NY great also creats problems and what Philly lacks compared to NY also makes Philly great. For exapmle crowds. The big crowds in NY can create an incredible vibe like nothing I have ever experienced, but along with that you get long lines at the door, overcrowded dance floors, rude people bumping you, etc. Now in Philly you don't get the huge crowd vibe but lines are typically short if at all, you can get a drink in a reasonable amount of time, people are more curteous and you get a more intimate feel. Both scenes are enjoyable not because they are the same, but because they are different.

Just my 2 sense.

KK

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ne1469

:P

Well I recently took a little trip to Philly ..it was a Sunday night and there didn't seem too much going on. Maybe I just didn't know where to look. Any suggestions please?

As to the comment by KrisKat, about a "big crowds" creating long lines and everything that follows that, I hate waiting on line too, but it's a good indicator that the party is going to be CRAZY!! ::) When there is NO line, then I'm worried!

As for the rude people, I am right there with you, but from my experience, there's rude people in almost every nightclub. You just gotta find one that the whole crowd in general are just there to have fun and almost create kinda a community you know? For example, when the infamous TWILO was open here in NY, I never had a rude experience becuase most people were regulars and we all just loved being there with the WHOLE CLUB.

Is there a club in Philly that I can check out that people go regularly and faithfully that creates a wonderful vibe? I would love to check it out!!

Greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phillyjunkie

if we are talking on a fri and sat night... for later nights seems like Emerald City is the place right now.

On a SAT night, alot of people are hitting old city. I personally cant stand that whole scene, but hey what they f***

dan aka phillyjunkie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest josef

i wish there were more trance stuff in philly. didnt motion have some before it closed like two years ago? :\