Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who is our favorite DJ?

Guest phillyjunkie

Guest phillyjunkie

Hey everyone! I got a project for anyone interested....

I would like to do a big list of all the DJs in the city and what they spin, where they spin etc.. A FULL list of most of the djs listed in the papers, playin out in bars and clubs. Must be DJs that at least have made it to some fliers, accomplished anything, promote as well, have cds, residencies somewhere....

anyone wanna take this one on? Itll be fun and then later we will post it onto the site as a story....

It will also help me to make a poll on the site where people will be asked to vote for their fav dj....

Ok! Get back at me!!!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Star24

Hey everyone! I got a project for anyone interested....

I would like to do a big list of all the DJs in the city and what they spin, where they spin etc.. A FULL list of most of the djs listed in the papers, playin out in bars and clubs. Must be DJs that at least have made it to some fliers, accomplished anything, promote as well, have cds, residencies somewhere....

anyone wanna take this one on? Itll be fun and then later we will post it onto the site as a story....

It will also help me to make a poll on the site where people will be asked to vote for their fav dj....

Ok! Get back at me!!!

Dan

My favorites DJ are PVD (num #1) TIESTO, EDGAR V., Oscar G his okay. And of course Andy C. (drum & base)...

Guest Meningito

My favorite local DJs are only the hip hop DJs. I like the heavy DJs like DJ Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money and Jayski. Cash Money and Jazzy Jeff go way back. They both are hip hop pioneers. Cash Money used to have a show on the radio called the All City show. It was super dope ;D but it did not last long. :( I have been listening to Jayski since like 93 or 94. He used to DJ at WPRB in Princeton for a show called the Raw Deal Rap Show. It was him and DJ Kam (I'm not sure if it's spelled right). Now Jayski DJs on one of those Hip Hop and R&B stations. I'm sorry I don't listen to those so I don't know which one. After WPRB I know he DJed on Q102 when they broke from dance music and started playing mostly Hip Hop. He is in a crew called the Skratch Makanics. http://www.grapestreet.com/\pages\djs.asp This is the best link I could find to them. All of the DJs listed have DJed one time or another at fluid. Rich Medina and Cosmo are pretty good as well. I know they have DJed at Fluid and Silkcity. I know Jazzy Jeff will be at Denim this week. I'm not sure where anyone else is playing this week.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bcnjunkie

DANNY TENAGLIA & SERGIO PATRICIO #1 & #2 respectively. then I like so many Mark farina, Miguel Miggs, Marques Wyatt, Jose De Divina, Jonathan Ulysses, Roger Sanchez, Baby Hec Romero, Layo & Bushwacka, can't think ... so many good out there. oh DJ VIBE !!

Guest bcnjunkie

depends on the style !

techno: Sven Vath, Angel Molina and ofcourse Carl Cox oh and Ritchie Hawtin ... so many !

house forgot, Junior Jack, Pete Tong has always been on target each time I've heard him... oh Sandy Rivera's sets are pretty good ... Harry Choo Choo our very own Oscar G is damn good DJ, Professor Angeldust has beome one of my favorites delivering some pretty amazing sets

Guest phillyjunkie

woops. sorry i should have overstated that i wanted to know which LOCAL PHILLY DJS!!!!

Sorry bout that kids. but feel free to repost ur comments!

phillyjunkie

Guest Prophet

I like Vanaysia she spins hard trance!!! i love it and Dj Moon is Awesome trance dj but they always have him play the party mixes but i see that Cool Junkie has him know which is great! props Dan!

Guest djdarko

Locally my Favorite Dj's are Dj Destruct, Dj Jason E, Dj Darko, Dj Tommyboy, Dj Macguyver, Dj Taurus, Adrock, Donato, Mike Myers and Dj Sinn.

Dj Destruct & Dj Darko spin HARDSTYLE. Which is a mixed genre of hard -techno, trance and house. Dj Destruct has been spinning for about 12+ years i believe an extremely good but has no residence yet. But i do know he is looking for something. He use to spin for DECO Night Club, but for now jus runs his own Online Radio Station dedicated to Hardstyle called Hardbazz Fusion. If u'd like to check it out, let me know an i'll send u a link. Dj Darko is a under study of Dj Destruct an has been djing only about 3 years now. No residence either, but has played out Emerald City and DECO.

All the rest fit into the normal everyday philly scene of very little techno, alot of house an trance. Dj Jasoon E is a resident out of DECO Night Club. Everybody else jus kinda spins all over the place.

But Destruct an Jason E are at the top of my list cause they were the first DJ's to ever teach me anything about Djing. An even today i'm still learning from Destruct.

If u have any questions or want a link to the Online Station, jus email me @ lostinyurlies@hotmail.com. Thanks ~Dj Darko aka Black Ray

Guest Prophet

Lol i just noticed that i put down dj's that cool junkie already has im an idiot! haha but yeo dj darko i love hardstyle not alot of people spin that i gotta hear one of your mixes or let us[me=Prophet]know when your spinnin next so i could possibly check it out!!![/me]

Guest djdarko

To the Prophet ... as of late i havent been working on much ... jus dealin with some drama. But i will definitely keep u informed on when my next mix comes out or when i'm spinning out somewhere again. Catch me out on the town one night an we'll talk. I'm always around the city. I work for DECO, Emerald City so usually on fridays an saturdays, u can find me at one of them floating around. I got yur AIM, I'll hit u up sometime. Mine is IMxYOURxDJ. Take it eas

Guest Prophet

Yea man def Me and my boy usually are up in philly almost every weekend either helpin promote cool junkie or up @ shampo0 for lifted sundays I'll def stop into Deco on a Sat nite after po0 or somethin and see what's up .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Meningito

I think this post deserves to resurrected especially since nobody really scratched the surface. What does a DJ really do?

Do they just spin records?

What makes a local DJ good?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest phillyjunkie

some excellent questions there Meningito and here is my mos BLUNT answer. A DJ plays records. I dont personally think it is that big of a deal and i dont think it takes a huge ton of talent to do at all. At least not in the techno, house, trance scene. Now , I cant say the same for hip hop, breakbeats, drum n bass etc. There is a BIG BIG difference in my mind between someone who trys to use the equipment they have to sculpt sound, vs someone who just simply plays music.

I mean lets think about it, what makes an EDM DJ better than another? PLay list in my mind. Of course, yes beat matching is important and the overall flow of how you present your music to people etc . But there is a DJ living on every block now.

I know Im gonna catch shit from other DJs but i dont give a crap. DJin is easy I think. Just need some creativity in your play selection and some good observational skills. You need to understand your audience. Is that real hard to do if you are paying attention? NO!!!!

Lets think about it, What really makes someone like Oakenfold a better DJ than you? Its the music he is getting!

Sure, I would be a #1 DJ too if I had every single artist under the sun pining away at desperately trying to get me to play their music!

What is forgotten in all of this is the incredible artists that actually write and produce this music. (nowafays everyone and thier mother now calls themeseves producers too)

So, bottom line for me is that it is not hard. I held a residency at EnTrance (now called Ministry) for over a year until I got sick and tired of dealing with their shit. I played music to 400-900 people per night, and did quite well with it. I played 4-6 hours sets every SAT night and I loved it.

Does that make me talented? Does that make me an artist? NO! Im just a simple guy that can beat match, pick tunes correctly, read my crowd etc.. Now dont get me wrong, there are some DJs that possess some incredible skills.... Some of them are very much a step ahead than anyone else..... but what makes one DJ better than another here in this city???

ITS ALL WHO YOU KNOW FOLKS... ITS THAT SIMPLE!!!

CUASE IF YOUR ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CLIQUES, YOU AINT GETTIN NOWHERE!!!!

lol

another post that will prolly make me cringe when i read it later...

dan

aka philly junkie....

Oh yeah, and I STILL think Moone is one of the better DJs in this city!!!

Guest Meningito

There are lot of people that just spin records. I know I'm way ahead of myself here but I think maybe we could resurrect this thread by posting another thread with a poll. Just a list of a bunch of PHILLY DJs and their genre. Do you think it's worth my time? ::)

Guest karatechik

Sorry I'm pulling up such old threads, but I'm brand spankin' new to this board!

I'm a fan of DJ Manolo. He's relatively new to Phili, moving this summer from Boston.

He also, along with some other people I guess, just opened up a new club in Old City. I think it's called 114. I haven't checked it out yet, but intend to do so soon, cuz the EDM Manolo spins is right up my alley (Dan, I think you'd like him). I'll be interested to see what style of music he spins in his own club!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DJ MartyR

Mine are...

on the deep tip...

J-Jay

Julius Knight

Andy Caldwell

Marques Wyatt

on the harder tip...

DJ Dan

Bad Boy Bill

Chareles Feelgood