Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dutch Junkie looking for da minimal funk in NYC

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Dear all,

My name in Rene and I'm about to move my ass to NYC (for at least 2 years) in two weeks time to start a new research program at Columbia! I am a "minimal funk" junkie, and member of the board of an (*illegal*) club/lounge/artgallery warehouse in a city called Groningen, which is close to Amsterdam, Holland. Check out our website here (text is in Dutch, though... :o ).

To get myself updated on the nightlife in NYC, you people probably are the best source around! I am looking for clubs/lounges were they play the more sophisticated house/techno/electro music, da minimal funk, so to say... To name some DJs that I like: Steve Bug, Ricardo Villalobos, Magda, John Tejada, Stewart Walker, Thomas Brinkmann, Thomas Fehlmann... but also guys like Tiga and the Hacker...

I am looking forward to your replies!

Rene

PS: how could I ever forget Matthew Dear!!!

Awesome! While Ive never heard of the DJs you mentioned, Im infatuated with the Dutch and as for DJ's....I love Sander K and Tiesto and Ferry-

So when are you coming to NYC? Also, im curious, how did you hear about this website? x 8)

Guest antonio

Steve Bug, Ricardo Villalobos, Magda, John Tejada, Stewart Walker, Thomas Brinkmann, Thomas Fehlmann... but also guys like Tiga and the Hacker...

Who? ??? ::)

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

I saw SK & T & F a little too many times 8) in Holland. Theyve become like Britney & Justin in Holland now. Music to make money out of the Masses, so to speak. Nowadays, I prefer the new minimal sound (minimal techno/microhouse/clickhouse) from Germany, of which Bug and Villalobos are the most appreciated DJs nowadays. But US-born/based DJs like Tejada, Walker & Dear also produce a similar sound.

I arrive in NYC on sunday the 27th of June. I should get my studio on monday, or so. I found this site already a long time ago, looking around for clubs, etc for a short visit to NYC. Then I decided to take a shot at it... and here I come! ::)

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Steve Bug, Ricardo Villalobos, Magda, John Tejada, Stewart Walker, Thomas Brinkmann, Thomas Fehlmann... but also guys like Tiga and the Hacker...

Who? ??? ::)

Bug, Villalobos, Brinkmann, Fehlmann are German. Fehlmann was the frontman of The Orb (you know the Orb, right? ;) ). John Tejada is from LA, Magda from Detroit (?), Walker is from the US, but lives in Berlin, Dear is also from the US, I believe... Tiga is an electro producer/DJ from Canada. The others are all techno DJs & producers. There all pretty big. Plenty of DJ mixes and livesets on SOULSEEK and other p2p...

Guest joeygk

Thomas Brinkmann's new track 'Tour de Traum' is fokkin great! Magda plays alot here in the city w/ Richie Hawtin when Hawtin plays his stripped down minimal sets, very raw inventive techno - not really my thing. The Propaganda parties at Sullivan Room on Saturdays bring in dj's more to your liking --- rare birds as they say. Filter 14 also books the up & coming guys.

The big clubs that the cats on this board are always talking about only book the super-star djs, but don't worry there are great lil' parties that bring in other talent from the UK & Europe. We had a sick lil' party a few weeks ago at Le Souk w/ Kenny Hawkes, and Jap Tripwire was at Sullivan not too long ago w/ John Tejada. ;D

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

I saw Thomas Brinkmann & Fehlmann two weeks ago in a local theatre in Groningen, NL. Brinkmann did a experimental set with handcarved 12"s, mixing up the cracks and ticks to a splendid minimal house/techno flow, adding samples and voicelines with his laptop! After that a DJ set by Fehlmann, his stuff on the Kompakt label is great! After that Brinkmann played a 2 hour set like he used to play around the globe, his own produced minimal techno, but much more lively and funky than Hawtins. I must say that I havent heard anything like that in my life :o

Stewart Walker & Tejada were in my city last saturday, but we gave a party in our own club... :'( so I missed it. Nevertheless our own party also rocked big time!

I am happy to hear that there will be plenty of my likes in NY! Parties will get announced over here I believe? I was a little shocked when I saw 10 views for a party with Stacey Pullen... I thought Id landed in the land of euro-trance... ;D

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Hai people...

For those who havent heard of Thomas Brinkmann before, I ahve uploaded two incredible mixes/livesets of him on my server. Go check this out!

right click, save as...

Thomas Brinkmann live @ Aquaplanning 30-06-2000

Thomas Brinkmann live @ The Blue Room 30-03-2002

Dont worry, no slow downloadz... The server ups with >400KB/sec... 8)

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Thomas Brinkmann's new track 'Tour de Traum' is fokkin great!

Just got myself a copy of the 'Tour de Traum' album... Awesome!!! Do you have the album 'Row' too, joey? I love the 'Ribosome' and Toothpaste' from the latter one...

Guest durrtylexx

Hai people...

For those who havent heard of Thomas Brinkmann before, I ahve uploaded two incredible mixes/livesets of him on my server. Go check this out!

right click, save as...

Thomas Brinkmann live @ Aquaplanning 30-06-2000

Thomas Brinkmann live @ The Blue Room 30-03-2002

Dont worry, no slow downloadz... The server ups with >400KB/sec... 8)

Cool Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Jo people...

Have arrived in NYC and got my own cool place @ morningside drive at 120th... So whats up this weekend? Wanna play???

Will be @ SinSin or Table50 tonight... I have a Buenos Aires T with a red rose next to me... ;) See u there?

Guest sonica77

Actually you will be happy to know that Matthew Dear is going to be at the Knitting Factory in NYC on Friday July 16 with Dabrye. Its a Ghostly International showcase.

Here is the link to the site for tickets: www.knittingfactory.com

There are two other shows coming up there too that you might like.

tigerbeat 6 showcase featuring Kid 606, Hrvatski, Dev null, and DJ C (EOSS)

July 3 8 pm

Jaga Jazzist with Sixtoo + P-love, Matt Kelly

July 6 8:30 pm

The Knitting Factory is right on the 1/9 subway line, so pretty easy to get to from Columbia.

Have fun in NYC!

Guest lasix

hey..

if you're really interested in the minimal funk.. look out for the 112 crew.. (dennis rodgers, bill patrick etc..)

they do a party on wednesdays at table 50 called robots..

also check rhythmism.com - they have the best listing of all types of events in the city

Guest FunkyDutchJunkie

Thanks for the reply's, people! Actually, I am trying to go and see Matthew @ knitting factory... Also, got tickets for Amon Tobin @ the rocksoff cruise on the 9th. Love this guy!!! Actually, I got hold of a flyer of the ROBOTS parties @ Table50, but thanks for pointing that out. Sure going to check that out!

In case there are people here on the board that throw minimal parties: got some contacts in Europe: e.g. Tobi Neumann, Germany, producer of Chicks on Speed a.o., Luciano, Vienna minimal producer/dj (Lucien-n-Luciano), and Maurice Dulz of Dulz und der Goldfish (Playhouse, Moon Harbour rec)... Could prob mediate to throw a gig... One of my best girlfriends could come over, just for fun, no fee whatsoever: check this realplayer mix of her at 3headz.com: http://www.3headz.de/radio/e_archiv.html