Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bush doesn't want to turn over Saddam

Guest LeVeL

Guest LeVeL

040615_saddam_ccol_4a.standard.jpg

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday the United States will turn over former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to the new Iraqi interim government but declined to set a timetable, saying “appropriate security†must be in place first.

advertisement

Neither the United States nor the new Iraq government wants there “to be lax security and for Saddam Hussein to not stand trial,†Bush said in response to a reporter's question.

Speaking at a Rose Garden news conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Bush also said it will be up to the new Iraqi government to determine what to do about radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

“The interim Iraqi government will deal with al-Sadr as they see fit,†Bush said. “They will deal with him appropriately.â€

Charges by June 30?

Earlier Tuesday, a senior Iraqi official said Iraqi authorities hope to file criminal charges against Saddam and others in the former regime before the June 30 transfer of sovereignty.

Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said Saddam and other detainees would be transferred to Iraqi authorities in the next two weeks. Allawi said Saddam would stand trial “as soon as possible†but gave no specifics on timing.

“I suspect that there will be an arrest warrant filed not only against Saddam but also against the other high-ranking officials before June 30,†said Salem Chalabi, the official in charge of setting up a tribunal to charge members of the ousted regime.

“We have been working quite hard in the last few days on that, believe me,†Chalabi said.

Chalabi said that he believes Iraqi authorities will have grounds for holding Saddam if and when he is handed over by the Americans, who have been holding the former dictator at an undisclosed location in Iraq since he was arrested in December.

Reuters file

Saddam Hussein after his capture in December, 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saddam’s status has been under discussion as the U.S.-led occupation’s end approaches.

The International Committee of the Red Cross has indicated that under international law, Saddam must be charged or released after the formal end of the occupation since he was detained as a prisoner of war.

Interim President Ghazi al-Yawer said Bush was eager to hand over Saddam, but Iraq must have adequate security guarantees in place before taking custody.

“Even President Bush himself was asking me,†al-Yawer said after returning from the Group of Eight summit in Sea Island, Ga. “The United States is very keen to hand over the ex-president to the Iraqi authorities.â€

Al-Yawer cautioned there must be adequate security for Saddam.

“We must first make sure that we can maintain protection for his life until he goes to trial,†al-Yawer said. “We must make sure that the trial goes as a legal process, he has his own fair chance of defense and the government has its own chance.â€

Guest LeVeL

I say bring that motherfucker to the US and make him suffer overhere.....make all the American laugh at him here. Because if he stays overthere they might save him and set the guy free. If I was Bush I wouldn't leave him in Iraq. It was hard enough to catch the guy, to have him escape would be a trajedy.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I say bring that motherfucker to the US and make him suffer overhere.....make all the American laugh at him here. Because if he stays overthere they might save him and set the guy free. If I was Bush I wouldn't leave him in Iraq. It was hard enough to catch the guy, to have him escape would be a trajedy.

Yeah I wouldn't hand him over either. They should give him to the Kurds so that they can stone, quarter and gas his ass........

Screw this 21 century civilized justice crap...I say an eye for an eye....

Guest endymion

What exactly would be the point of bringing our culture to Iraq if the height of justice in the new Iraq is going to be "an eye for an eye"?

News Flash: AMERICANS RESTORE RIGHTFUL CODE OF HAMMURABI LEGAL SYSTEM TO BABYLON; RELATIVELY FEW BABYLONIANS SODOMIZED OR MURDERED IN THE PROCESS; OPERATION CONSIDERED A SUCCESS!

Guest swirlundergrounder

What exactly would be the point of bringing our culture to Iraq if the height of justice in the new Iraq is going to be "an eye for an eye"?

News Flash: AMERICANS RESTORE RIGHTFUL CODE OF HAMMURABI LEGAL SYSTEM TO BABYLON; RELATIVELY FEW BABYLONIANS SODOMIZED OR MURDERED IN THE PROCESS; OPERATION CONSIDERED A SUCCESS!

But they don't want our culture in Iraq! Don't you get it...They can adopt our system of government and modify it to fit their needs but they don't want our culture nor should we impose our culture on them. We don't have the right to. That's the problem with most Americans..They think that their culture is the best and most righteous in the world and it isn't and you know what? I've lived here all my life and I've been around the world and their are so many things about our culture that's way behind the times and other traits of our culture are so disrespectful to the world as a whole....For you to say that we should bring our culture to them is an example of the mentality I just stated.....

Sure our justice system may work for us. But we dont have a leader going around and openly letting lose a nerve gas and killing off 5000 innocent people like Saddam did to the Kurds in Northern Iraq do we?

Guest endymion

I agree with you more than anybody here that we have no business organizing Republican Party conventions in Iraq.

Thing is, we're kind of committed now. We invaded, killed 10 or 15 thousand people, raped some women, and sodomized a bunch of cab drivers.

So now what? Let them revert to Hammurabi? Doesn't make us look good at all. Not like anything really will at this point.

The WMD thing didn't pan out. The making Iraq a better place thing didn't pan out. The shining beacon of democracy thing either pans out or else we haven't done anything useful at all and all of those people died for nothing. They will have died so that George W Bush can settle a personal vendetta. Hard to be proud of that.

Guest endymion

Barely man. My life got completely turned upside down when WMC hit. In a good way.

I think I might have some energy to post some more of my bleeding heart liberal drivel. Depends on how long it takes for somebody to call me a faggot again. Letting people insult me on the forums that I set up for them was not an appropriate use of my limited time.

Guest demo909

Barely man. My life got completely turned upside down when WMC hit. In a good way.

I think I might have some energy to post some more of my bleeding heart liberal drivel. Depends on how long it takes for somebody to call me a faggot again. Letting people insult me on the forums that I set up for them was not an appropriate use of my limited time.

you calling me a faggot?? lol 8)

Guest swirlundergrounder

Turn him over to the Iraqi's and have them stone him to death in a public square 8)

Stone him but keep him alive, nurse him back a little and then stone him to death.......I'm a sick one aren't I?

Guest bingo_the_clown

Of course he doesn't want to turn over Saddam... he wants to imagine somebody else's face...

(I hope somebody gets that)

;D

Guest endymion
Of course he doesn't want to turn over Saddam... he wants to imagine somebody else's face...

Oh man, what thing to read over your morning coffee...

Guest swirlundergrounder

shoot him with a shotgun full of salt, then bury him alive.

Ouch...........lol