Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's the scariest Sci-Fi Film?

Guest swirlundergrounder

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coach

Silent Running is about a guy who is stuck on the last of the stellar spaceships containing the last of the plants from earth. There are some serious issues with the mission.

The Quiet Earth, maybe isn't too sci-fi, but it is about a guy who wakes up to find he is the last person on Earth, he thinks. He meets a few others.

Both are very creepy, eerie. I do not particularly like "jump at you" movies, like the Jason flicks. I feel that is a totally cheesy gimmick and has nothing to do with decent movie-making. Leave it for the dumber "haunted houses". That, in my opinion, is not real horror. Real horror is not making you jump with loud noises and ugly make-up, that is just a practical joke. Real horror is making your skin crawl and your mind bend with stories of things gone so horribly bad that you can barely believe it.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Silent Running is about a guy who is stuck on the last of the stellar spaceships containing the last of the plants from earth. There are some serious issues with the mission.

The Quiet Earth, maybe isn't too sci-fi, but it is about a guy who wakes up to find he is the last person on Earth, he thinks. He meets a few others.

Both are very creepy, eerie. I do not particularly like "jump at you" movies, like the Jason flicks. I feel that is a totally cheesy gimmick and has nothing to do with decent movie-making. Leave it for the dumber "haunted houses". That, in my opinion, is not real horror. Real horror is not making you jump with loud noises and ugly make-up, that is just a practical joke. Real horror is making your skin crawl and your mind bend with stories of things gone so horribly bad that you can barely believe it.

That's what I like about Sci Fi horrors. YOu have no where to run in space and no one to call...There are som many holes in the plots of traditional horror films unless that is you're dealing with the supernatural shit where it doesn't matter where you go hide. I do agree with you though that good cinemetography an d a good sound track/score is paramount in horror film making more so than the jump at you effects you mentioned....

Guest Cybercop106

I'd have to vote for "Killer Klowns From Outer Space"....... I couldn't EVEN go to the circus after THAT one......been clourophobic ever since! ;)

No, really, most everyone will say 'Alien' or 'The Thing', but how about OTHER than the most obvious ones?!

'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' creeped me the hell out.