3/24 - Shadow Lounge, Miami

3/31 - Arena, Albany NY

4/7 - Pure, Detroit

4/14 - Deep, Long Island

4/21 - Arena, Albany NY

4/28 - Webster Hall, NYC

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

i think its a dj who can play for themself and the crowd ... you go to a club for what ... mainly the dj(i do at least) ... and i think a 'good dj' is one that can make you move while spinnig for himself ... just my opinion.

but ... programing ... programing ... programing!!!! cwm44.gif

------------------

...dance like nobody's watching (till the sun comes up and then some)

It looks like we have a debate:

People trash Draper for playing for the crowd....

On the other hand people praise DT and JP for not giving a shit and playing what THEY want to play for themselves.....

Which is it??? Do you play for the crowd or for yourself?

cwm38.gifcwm38.gif

[This message has been edited by baby3tears (edited 04-09-2001).]

DT does play for his crowd, so does JP... Im not saying that 100% of the people in the room always like all their track selections, but if 80% of the people are feeling it, then I'd consider that playing to their crowd...

DT and JP have educated their crowds into going for more and more of their personal tastes...

I never said anything about Draper not being good... he plays in the cheeziest room in New York comprised of mostly 17 year olds... Myslef or any other DJ worth his salt would have to play the same way there, or at least similarly...

Do you think those little kids woould go nuts if Draper dropped "Hide You?" I doubt it frown.gif

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

3/31 - Arena, Albany NY

4/7 - Pure, Detroit

4/14 - Deep, Long Island

4/21 - Arena, Albany NY

4/28 - Webster Hall, NYC

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

hmmhm, I'd go for music selection ( 95 % ) cause you can start playing with your mix only if the records go really well together. by the way, what is programming in a dj context ? as for playing for the crowd or yourself, I have experienced that you should definitely play for yourself, that means do not buy records for the crowd, because then you will have no fun in playing them, but I always offer the crowd a classic "hit" once in a while to really get 'em moving ( richie hawtins orange minus for example ) and afterwards return to my style. its like the blues brothers at the country bar, they played one country hit and afterwards returned to blues, and everyone loved it all of a sudden ...

programming is how you structure your night of music - what songs you play, when you play them, how you play them (teasing the audience)... good programming is essential in creating a great vibe...

Two different DJs could play the same ten songs, but if they are programmed badly by one DJ, the other jock will sound a hundred times better...

For instance, I might play a Scott Project Song and Modjo's Lady during the same night, but I'd never put them back to back. That would be bad programming cause the vibe of those two songs (along with their BPMs) is so much diffrent...

Hope that helps...

RR

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

3/31 - Arena, Albany NY

4/7 - Pure, Detroit

4/14 - Deep, Long Island

4/21 - Arena, Albany NY

4/28 - Webster Hall, NYC

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

exactly... me too smile.gif

Originally posted by torontotrance:

I don't know about you Russ but I like to play the slower bpm's to build my set then later I drop the higher bpm tracks at the end. I like to build my set then really knock them out. But then that's just me.

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

3/31 - Arena, Albany NY

4/7 - Pure, Detroit

4/14 - Deep, Long Island

4/21 - Arena, Albany NY

4/28 - Webster Hall, NYC

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!