Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Apple's Mac OS 'Tiger' ready to pounce

Guest trancepriest

Guest macboy

Pod must be in a good mood today, because I was really expecting these mac topics to get deleted. ;D

Don't bother waiting for Tiger. It's 6-9 months away. Panther is a great operating system and more and more apps are written for it every day. The funny thing is that most people say to me "I need Word, Excel, and Exchange capabilities, so I need Windows. Otherwise, I might get a Mac." Mac has all that. Come on people, get with it.! ;D

On the fun, geeky side, there's the small stuff that I really love. There's a new bluetooth app out. If my cell phone rings and it's in the other room, the caller ID will show up on my computer, and I can choose to send it to voicemail if I want. They are currently working on answering capabilities. Also, I love the iChat AV, because I can talk to any of my friends around the world like I'm talking on the cell phone, but it's free. Also, I can hook up a bluetooth headset so I'm not tied to the computer to have the conversation.

As far as using XP on the Mac, give it up. I've done it and it is slow even if you were to run it on a G5 (which BTW, you can't right now due to incompatibility with VPC7). If you really need XP, build a cheap box that will suit your needs and let it collect dust until you really need it. It will always be faster than running from the Mac.

Guest endymion

... the white headphones...which I encourage everyone to swap out since they suck. ;D

Those earbuds that come with it suck but the point of them is that you can still hear traffic and the world around you in general. I rollerblade with them and I would never use the ear-fit type.

The idea behind picking those instead of the ear-fit ones that have bass was that the iPod is a 'lifestyle accessory'. Apple wanted to encourage people to leave those earbuds in for as long as possible, so that the iPod is like your own personal soundtrack.

Works in some areas, like NYC. iPods rock for long commutes.

Guest pod

Oh when doing any sort of activity like rollerblading, cycling, or anything of that nature, I don't trust people around me, so I have the soundtrack off. I'm paranoid about getting hit. In the gym I'll use 'em since you're relatively stationary.

But nonetheless, I see the white earphones, I immediately know it is an Ipod in the pocket.

Guest endymion

Pod must be in a good mood today, because I was really expecting these mac topics to get deleted. ;D

The guy running the server and picking the tech for CoolJunkie is doing it with a PowerBook from Starbuck's. Pod is outnumbered now.